Finding a drumhead or advice for low tunning

ESM

hey, guys recently I bought myself a Yamaha stage custom I am fairly new to the drumming world sorry if I am asking dumb questions. I got the Remo pinstripe and am using for both the batter and reso. i wanted much deeper sound i tried low tunning (probably doing it wrong). I just wanted to ask if you guys can give me advices or recommendations of what i can do. thanks in advance

Looser heads mean lower tunings. Tighter heads mean higher tunings. Remo Pinstripes aren't ideal reso heads, unless you want a somewhat dead sound. How are you tuning your batter heads in relation to your reso heads? For instance, on my toms, my batter heads are looser than my reso heads.

Keep the pinstripes on the batters, but swap the resos for clear Ambassadors. Then set each drum on a carpet, tap around the head about 1.5” in front of each lug, and adjust the tension at each tuning rod until you even out the pitch all the way around. Once the heads are evenly pitched, gradually loosen the batter head until the point where it just holds tension, then tighten it just slightly above that. Do the same for the reso head, except tighten it a little more than the batter. Repeat for all of the toms. That should get you in the ballpark for a low, deep tuning.

Looser heads mean lower tunings. Tighter heads mean higher tunings. Remo Pinstripes aren't ideal reso heads, unless you want a somewhat dead sound. How are you tuning your batter heads in relation to your reso heads? For instance, on my toms, my batter heads are looser than my reso heads.
I think I have the batter head tighter than the bottom

Keep the pinstripes on the batters, but swap the resos for clear Ambassadors. Then set each drum on a carpet, tap around the head about 1.5” in front of each lug, and adjust the tension at each tuning rod until you even out the pitch all the way around. Once the heads are evenly pitched, gradually loosen the batter head until the point where it just holds tension, then tighten it just slightly above that. Do the same for the reso head, except tighten it a little more than the batter. Repeat for all of the toms. That should get you in the ballpark for a low, deep tuning.
thank you. also, someone suggested to me to get the coated over the clear thoughts on that? sorry I know I am asking too many dumb questions.

The procedure TK-421 outlines above is a good starting point. I suggest tensioning your reso heads a bit tighter than your batter heads. If you don't like the results, you can always make adjustments. Just be patient and experiment.

Coated batter heads will give you a warmer, slightly more muted sound. Sticking with Clear Pinstripes on top is fine. I would replace them on bottom with Clear Ambassadors, however.

The procedure TK-421 outlines above is a good starting point. I suggest tensioning your reso heads a bit tighter than your batter heads. If you don't like the results, you can always make adjustments. Just be patient and experiment.

Coated batter heads will give you a warmer, slightly more muted sound. Sticking with Clear Pinstripes on top is fine. I would replace them on bottom with Clear Ambassadors, however.
oh ok is there a much difference in going clear or coated reso head. thank you guys so much I defs will order some clear ambassadors

one more question for my kick its a 22" it's really "fat" sounding for me is there anything I can do to make it a bit more punchy?

one more question for my kick its a 22" it's really "fat" sounding for me is there anything I can do to make it a bit more punchy?
oh ok is there a much difference in going clear or coated reso head. thank you guys so much I defs will order some clear ambassadors

On your bass drum, tighten the batter head and insert some muffling, perhaps a small pillow. That will abbreviate your sound quite a bit, creating a punchy character.

Coated reso heads will shorten your sustain a little. I'd just use Clear Ambassadors for resos at this point.

On your bass drum, tighten the batter head and insert some muffling, perhaps a small pillow. That will abbreviate your sound quite a bit, creating a punchy character.

Coated reso heads will shorten your sustain a little. I'd just use Clear Ambassadors for resos at this point.
thank you so much i defs will get some clear Ambassadors and try tuning again

I've tried just about everything and the Aquarian Performance II clears give me that deep, throaty, low tone without sounding dead. Be careful not to tune too low. What sounds good behind the kit will sound like hitting stuffed animals out front.

You can tune your reso lower also if you like the attack/note/stick definition of the batter. A tight reso will make the drum go boing, a loose reso will make the drum go thud.

Do get the Ambassadors for the bottoms. If you tune the bottoms fairly high an the tops low you'll get the punchy studio/fusion type sound I assume you're after. For more of a rock sound you can drop the pitch on the bottom heads until you find the sound you want.

To tune the top heads you can just finger tighten the lugs-- opposite sides at the same time-- and then give them a quarter turn with a drum key. That should get you a good low tuning.

I've tried just about everything and the Aquarian Performance II clears give me that deep, throaty, low tone without sounding dead. Be careful not to tune too low. What sounds good behind the kit will sound like hitting stuffed animals out front.
thank you

Do get the Ambassadors for the bottoms. If you tune the bottoms fairly high an the tops low you'll get the punchy studio/fusion type sound I assume you're after. For more of a rock sound you can drop the pitch on the bottom heads until you find the sound you want.

To tune the top heads you can just finger tighten the lugs-- opposite sides at the same time-- and then give them a quarter turn with a drum key. That should get you a good low tuning.
thank you, i have ordered the Ambassadors and try it out thanks

if you want a deep low tuned sound, go for aquarian performance 2s, theyre designed specifically for low tunings, coupled with their classic clear resonant heads, you'll have a deep, thunderous sound! :)
i will definitely try them out but for now i have ordered the clear Ambassadors. thanks for your help there is just too many heads to choose from

hey, guys recently I bought myself a Yamaha stage custom I am fairly new to the drumming world sorry if I am asking dumb questions. I got the Remo pinstripe and am using for both the batter and reso. i wanted much deeper sound i tried low tunning (probably doing it wrong). I just wanted to ask if you guys can give me advices or recommendations of what i can do. thanks in advance

My 2¢.
-- As tunings get lower, any defect in the bearing edge and variation in diameter become more obvious. Please double check.
-- A thicker head (12-14mil) will tune lower than a thinner head (7-10mil)
-- A two ply Emperor (2x7m) will tune lower than an Ambassador (10mil) not because it has two plies, but because it is thicker.
-- A 14mil single ply will tune lower and produce more volume than a 2x7mil multi-ply.

For all intents and purposes, an Ambassador is typically all you need unless you're really trying for an extremely low stylized sound.

Also any recommendation for the kick drum its a 22" its still stock heads on it. when i looked up heads for kick heads i saw Evans EMAD 2 Clear Bass Drum Head with EQ4 i think

Back