Finding a drumhead or advice for low tunning

ESM

My 2¢.
-- As tunings get lower, any defect in the bearing edge and variation in diameter become more obvious. Please double check.
-- A thicker head (12-14mil) will tune lower than a thinner head (7-10mil)
-- A two ply Emperor (2x7m) will tune lower than an Ambassador (10mil) not because it has two plies, but because it is thicker.
-- A 14mil single ply will tune lower and produce more volume than a 2x7mil multi-ply.

For all intents and purposes, an Ambassador is typically all you need unless you're really trying for an extremely low stylized sound.
thank you i will try the ambassador and see how i go

yammyfan

I probably sound like a broken record to anyone who has been around here for a while but if you don't mind spending a little bit of money (and it doesn't sound like you do) then get yourself a Tune-Bot and take the guesswork out of tuning once and for all.

I have a current generation Stage Custom Birch kit outfitted with Pinstripes over clear Ambassadors and it sounds amazing. I play 2-up and 2-down and tune exactly like the kits in the video linked below.

If you like the sound of these Ludwigs then the Tune-Bot might be for you. I think it's a slam-dunk for $70 but you must decide for yourself.

Note: the Tune-Bot lets you tune any old way you want, the video below is just a demonstration of what it's capable of.

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'm assuming you have 10" and 12" tom toms, and the 10" especially is only going to go so low before there isn't enough tension to actually make a note. I agree with everyone else that a single-ply resonant will sound better than another Pinstripe on the bottom, but you need to manage expectations on just how low a small tom can actually get.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
With new Remo heads its a good idea to seat the heads by tuning tight overnight, before lowering to the desired low tension. They will sit better on the bearing edges and can be tuned lower without buzzing or choking.

You can also try a moongel on the batter head - enhances the low sounds.
Or place O rings on the toms for a really deep tone.

yammyfan

Love this suggestion. I use O rings for that exact reason. They focus the pitch of my toms nicely and make them sound mic'd up even when they're not.

I still enjoy having nicely tuned and resonant toms even when using O rings since the tone that makes it through is quite pure and pleasant. Not thuddy at all.

TJK

Also any recommendation for the kick drum its a 22" its still stock heads on it. when i looked up heads for kick heads i saw Evans EMAD 2 Clear Bass Drum Head with EQ4 i think
First try a bass drum patch and then stretch felt across the inside heads instead of a pillow.

ESM

I probably sound like a broken record to anyone who has been around here for a while but if you don't mind spending a little bit of money (and it doesn't sound like you do) then get yourself a Tune-Bot and take the guesswork out of tuning once and for all.

I have a current generation Stage Custom Birch kit outfitted with Pinstripes over clear Ambassadors and it sounds amazing. I play 2-up and 2-down and tune exactly like the kits in the video linked below.

If you like the sound of these Ludwigs then the Tune-Bot might be for you. I think it's a slam-dunk for $70 but you must decide for yourself.

Note: the Tune-Bot lets you tune any old way you want, the video below is just a demonstration of what it's capable of.

I will have a look around thank you so much

ESM

I'm assuming you have 10" and 12" tom toms, and the 10" especially is only going to go so low before there isn't enough tension to actually make a note. I agree with everyone else that a single-ply resonant will sound better than another Pinstripe on the bottom, but you need to manage expectations on just how low a small tom can actually get.
yes got myself a ambassador and tuned it low and lovin' it

ESM

With new Remo heads its a good idea to seat the heads by tuning tight overnight, before lowering to the desired low tension. They will sit better on the bearing edges and can be tuned lower without buzzing or choking.

You can also try a moongel on the batter head - enhances the low sounds.
Ohh did not know that thank you yes I got myself moongel