Ever take a piece of equipment you only play once during gig?

I have 2 splash cymbals that i keep in mycymbal bag but havent used in a couple of years now I think. I have a stem to mount one on top of the ride stand in my bag too but i just dont for some reason. Not that they add any weight to the bag, but i bring them everywhere!

a 6" Slingerland concert tom to get a bongo-type sound on The Beatles' "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"...for two bars.

LP plastic blocks that I play at the beginning of Bowie's "Let's Dance" for a wooden clacky sound.

Brushes for the first four bars of "Lady Madonna"

Dan

i must be lucky in that everything i take to a gig gets used on every song almost, the cowbell i have gets used a lot for "all right now" by free, but i chuck it in at random times through the sets so it gets used :)

I have to consciously think about using my crash cymbal if I bring one along to a gig. I’m so used to using only one cymbal (+ hats) that a dedicated crash seems superfluous now.

I used to bring a fuzz for Dance To The Music, and got tired of bringing it for one song. So I used it in 3 or 4 songs. But in general, if it’s for only one song it’s superfluous. Except cowbell. I don’t know why any self respecting drummer would play without a cowbell at the ready. I have two.

Seriously.

Kind of related: I stopped bringing 2 floortoms to gigs because I didn't really needed them both but only used them because they were there.

Yes, both my cowbell and China cymbal get limited use. Sometimes if songs get dropped/replaced during a set both might not get used at all.

That is the nature of gigging.

Yes.
I once had a set of 10" closed mini-hats that I used in ONE SECTION, of ONE song.
Nothing else got "THE" sound I really wanted (and actually worked)--and I tried.
I also had 4 floor toms with that set up......

Timbale.
I use it during Black Magic Woman and nothing else. I also use a foot bell for that song and don't use that for anything else in our set either.
So, 2 things. :ROFLMAO:
Whenever I have a timbale set up it is supposed to be for one song, but then I cant help myself from giving the band a few surprise fills! 🤣

Back