DW pedal refresh service? Does this exist?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I wish you could send your pedals back to DW and have them go through everything, check the hardware, lube certain parts, etc. They don't happen to do this, do they?

Martin the best I could find are schematics for the various pedals, drums, stands, etc.

Here's a link to the schematics of their various products:

I couldn't find anything with a quick browse on DW's website that mentions pedal refresh services

I've have a DW 5000 that gigged a few times a month for what 12 years without as much as an oiling. Some of the teeth on the sprocket, are worn to nubs. I still use it when I play out.

I'm with Bo. If another man can do it, so can I. That's my starting point lol until I learn differently

If you do decide to do it yourself, make sure to heat the screws before you try to take them out. Depending on their age they may have thread locker on them.

Wuhan Solo may have more info about how hot they need to get to release the thread locker. I did it 20+years ago and I'm pretty sure I used a hair dryer, so it doesn't need to get super hot.

I had a part break on my 7000 pedal after about 10 years of use. I was able to order the replacement part and
do a complete refresh of the pedal. It's now my backup.

If you do decide to do it yourself, make sure to heat the screws before you try to take them out. Depending on their age they may have thread locker on them.

Wuhan Solo may have more info about how hot they need to get to release the thread locker. I did it 20+years ago and I'm pretty sure I used a hair dryer, so it doesn't need to get super hot.

This little piece of advice may have saved many a pedal from destruction by "gorilla hands" attempting to loosen stuck screws. Well done, Sir.

I've never "refreshed" a pedal, but this thread has got me thinking about it. If nothing else, it would be a cool rainy day shop project. All I've ever done is the occasional blast of WD-40 and a quick wipe down. While my drums get "white glove" treatment, my hardware gets worked harder than a rented mule. :D

This little piece of advice may have saved many a pedal from destruction by "gorilla hands" attempting to loosen stuck screws. Well done, Sir.

I've never "refreshed" a pedal, but this thread has got me thinking about it. If nothing else, it would be a cool rainy day shop project. All I've ever done is the occasional blast of WD-40 and a quick wipe down. While my drums get "white glove" treatment, my hardware gets worked harder than a rented mule. :D

Mine too! I now have two 9000 and two 5000 pedals. One of the pedals broke the chain link that attaches to the sprocket, so I'm going to go ahead and order a couple of these.

Reactions: A J
But you could do it yourself.
Yeah...and I have with my Ludwig Speed King. Watched a video of a guy "pimping his pedal" and how he disassembled it, cleaned it, lubed it, polished it & put it all back together.
I will say that it made my 50+ year old pedal play like new.

As for DW: I'm sure the process is the same. Take care getting it all apart, clean it, lube it, polish it up & put it all back together.

I for one would have a service there at the factory for this purpose. Can you imagine the revenue made by servicing pedals for people? 💰💰

I called DW a few years ago asking about modding an older DW 5000 (didn't end up doing it). But they do have a shop and I'm sure they'd be happy to do what you're after. Definitely give them a call.

Yeah...and I have with my Ludwig Speed King. Watched a video of a guy "pimping his pedal" and how he disassembled it, cleaned it, lubed it, polished it & put it all back together.
I will say that it made my 50+ year old pedal play like new.

As for DW: I'm sure the process is the same. Take care getting it all apart, clean it, lube it, polish it up & put it all back together.

I for one would have a service there at the factory for this purpose. Can you imagine the revenue made by servicing pedals for people? 💰💰
Any chance you remember the name of the video? Looking to do something similar for my 20 year old Eliminator.

So this thread inspired me to do a refresh on my 20 year old Pearl Eliminators that -- other than the occasional spray of lithium lubricant -- hadn't had any major maintenance. In my case, I found that the bearings were still in great shape -- when i took off the beater and chain, the motion was super smooth. So I did the following instead:

1) Spray the chain with ample citrus degreaser.
2) Dip the chain in Muc Off concentrated cleaner (what I use to clean bicycle chains).
3) Rinse thoroughly.
4) Apply dry bike chain lube on a link-by-link basis. Wipe off excess.
5) Dry wipe and lightly lube all other moving parts with teflon spray lube.

Bam! As good as new.

Back