Drumstick classifying conventions

I wouldn't complain if Uncle Larry got his way on this. Even though the argument of the classifications being entrenched is a very strong one. There are enough responses here to demonstrate that stick buyers are willing to work with what's here, rather than to be re-educated into a different system.

What I think Larry is arguing is that it wouldn't be just a "different" system, but a more intuitive one. The one we "should" have had.
The 5A, 5B, 7A, 8D thing is gonna be hard to replace without engendering Larry's passion into other logical thinking drummers. It'll be ironic trying to convince an older player, even though he might agree with your logic. Because he of all people doesn't have any trouble remembering which sticks to buy.

IME, when comparing many different sticks, I didn't get a clear picture of what (besides "feel") I was comparing until I started looking at things like diameter and exact length.
I had to go to the websites to get this info. I think for many folks it is enough to have access to the information.

What OP is suggesting is to make a clean break and banish the virtually obsolete naming system and replace that ink on the stick with something that is at least related to the physical properties of the stick. But as @Matt Suda suggested, you now have to create a new code to print down the side of each stick.

And I agree with @Stroman that taper is one of those features you really do notice when you play, but that info is usually missing from modern taxonomy anyhow. Gram weight works when selling individual cymbals, but a general stick weight indicator is gonna have to be a non-scientific calculation. Like wood type by diameter by length. Not an actual weight but a relative one.

One thing that might make me agnostic on this issue is the dozens of "signature" and specialty sticks that are constantly being released. If you polled younger drummers universally you might discover that the kids are already using sticks that are named after people or catchy words. In that case they have no idea what the "base size" was before the company painted it and gave it a unique grip or tip.

But I can support OPs point by the scenario that current lifelong drummers, the ones who are already playing the game, and teaching the game, are fully capable or normalizing a new system and demonstrating to newer drummers how the new system has "always been" better.

If this website has any influence, I'd like to use it to change this stupid classification model

...I'd start out with one company, and convince them to take this lead. The other ones will copycat, to keep up, drummers will be happy. The key is to convince a manufacturer they they should be first, so they can score the most profit. I can't believe this hasn't been implemented at this point for real by someone in that industry. It's glaring at this point.

How do I leverage the influence here to achieve that goal?
It wouldn't take long, if there was strong engagement by the adult drumming community. You must replace the old intuition with a new one. The magic is convincing drummers who are on the fence to agree that this would be better for the future of drumming.

Now if only we could do something about some of those silly rudiment names.

Still think (...) it's the weight...if you get the right weight/ right balance/ feel.......shape could well be secondary

(second dairy..
that's what we're looking/ striving for/ weight the right weight

then I'll deal the the shank shaft and tip

How many grams does an average say a 5A weigh.
Ok Find your weight/number....and play 300 different shapes
Someday I'll get a- drumstick-digital mini- pocket scale.

2B's come in 10 different weights
same with any 7A 5B etc etc,

It's the weight of a particular pair we like +/-
:)

Last edited:
Good luck, but I do not see it changing.
Same as the U.S and a couple of others hanging to that archaic imperial measurement system.

5A. I know what I'm getting. ...and so on...

Still think (...) it's the weight...if you get the right weight/ right balance/ feel.......shape could well be secondary

(second dairy..
that's what we're looking/ striving for/ weight the right weight

then I'll deal the the shank shaft and tip

How many grams does an average say a 5A weigh.
Ok Find your weight/number....and play 300 different shapes
Someday I'll get a- drumstick-digital mini- pocket scale.

2B's come in 10 different weights
same with any 7A 5B etc etc,

It's the weight of a particular pair we like +/-
:)
I disagree. How the diameter fits my hand and the feel of the stick's rebound mean more to me than the weight. It's not that weight doesn't matter, it's just that it's not my primary concern.

Then again, I can play with almost anything, needs be. I grew up without good access to the variety of equipment that can appear at anyone's doorstep these days, so I learned to play with whatever is at hand. Give me an oak 747 in one hand, and a broken off, sanded down maple 2B in the other hand, and I'll still make music.

I like a stick that has a particular length, diameter, top shape, wood type and weight. I wish they had a classification to encompass all of that…. Maybe like 5A or Jazz Hickory nylon tip.

There is a company that sells sticks by all of different dimensions, shape and weight. I bought a few pairs. Is it Rich or maybe LA. I’ll look it up.

I like a stick that has a particular length, diameter, top shape, wood type and weight. I wish they had a classification to encompass all of that…. Maybe like 5A or Jazz Hickory nylon tip.

There is a company that sells sticks by all of different dimensions, shape and weight. I bought a few pairs. Is it Rich or maybe LA. I’ll look it up.
Here it is.

Not only are the model names not descriptive, but there also doesn't seem to be an industry standard for what a <fill in the model name here> is across manufacturers.
Using 5A as an example:
5A Comparison.png
Except for Innovative Percussion, the length is the same across brands...but...the diameters are "wacky"!
If I was switching brands, I would go crazy in most instances. For example, if I was switching from ProMark to Vic Firth and I loved the diameter of the ProMark 5A, I would discount Vic Firth, unless I did a deeper dive and saw that the Vic Firth 85A has the same dimensions as the ProMark 5A (except for the tip shape).

Similarly, if I was switching from Regal Tip (a more likely occurrence based on their lack of availability) to Vic Firth, once again I would see that Vic Firth's 5A is different. But...the Vic Firth 55A has the same length and diameter.

Like we have nothing better to do than try and decipher drumstick specs.

I’d just add an Even,Back,Forward to it so 5BE. I’ve got some Mike Manginii that are like FF super forward. Maybe something about how they taper?

AHEAD lists length, taper, diameter, and weight on every pair of sticks. I can put my sticks on a kitchen scale and they are always perfect.

In this digital age, the whole world has become so much more precise. Drumsticks that can't be quantified numerically...needs to be brought into the 21st century.

Like I said, keep the 5A and 2B just add more relevant info

The taper, I would not quantify that. That can be seen. length/weight/diameter/balance...is the info I'd like to see added.

Even a website that gathers all this data, for the majority of sticks out there, in one place would be very helpful.

I don't know . Just bought a 3 pack of Pro Mark Oak 727 for a try. Generally I'd prefer longer sticks..

Not only are the model names not descriptive, but there also doesn't seem to be an industry standard for what a <fill in the model name here> is across manufacturers.
Using 5A as an example:
View attachment 119610
Except for Innovative Percussion, the length is the same across brands...but...the diameters are "wacky"!
If I was switching brands, I would go crazy in most instances. For example, if I was switching from ProMark to Vic Firth and I loved the diameter of the ProMark 5A, I would discount Vic Firth, unless I did a deeper dive and saw that the Vic Firth 85A has the same dimensions as the ProMark 5A (except for the tip shape).

Similarly, if I was switching from Regal Tip (a more likely occurrence based on their lack of availability) to Vic Firth, once again I would see that Vic Firth's 5A is different. But...the Vic Firth 55A has the same length and diameter.

Like we have nothing better to do than try and decipher drumstick specs.
Now I know why I like the ProMark 5a…it’s the thinnest.

Jimmy 727 is between 5A and 7A .. Oak lasts better as well. forward weighted short taper nylon tip.

yeah...I never refer to sticks as their model number first when refering new students to them. II always talk about weight - for the type of usage - and tip shape for sound production and feel

I am a good example of the guy who does not look at sticks by "their traditional usage". I always go for feel in hands and bead shape first. I have ever used a 5A or B because they feel like toothpicks to me. I do't play "small sticks" for jaz ad "bog sticks" for metal.

The only differences I make are for marching stuff. I would ever use the large marching sticks on drum set, or use thin sticks for marching stuff

I also wish the descriptions were more focused on physical parameters, and less on "best for this style of playing". Ii alos think drum shops and some company websites should put up charts describing what each part of the stick does to alter sound and feel

Meh. It's more information than I want. Is it round? Is it made from actual wood? Are the two sticks closely matched? Good enough. I've played with a VF in my right hand and a Vater in my left. One a 5A the other a 2B. Doesn't matter to this guy just like what's on my feet doesn't matter.

La Backbeat names the models by diameter and "features". They only use Hickory, and they use designations for weigh. MW = Maple Weight-(lightest weight hickory-as light as maple), J = Jazz Weight, (lighter than standard hickory but heavier than maple weight) and HW = Heavy Weight Hickory (Standard weight hickory has no code or designation). They also use a code for the balance of the stick. FW = Forward Weight, B = Bounce (Rebound) and the final code is for length. X = 1/4" over the standard model, XX = 1/2" over standard model (Keep in mind that not all models' are a full 16". So for a small diameter stick, XX might = 16" total).

So for example, J520X would mean a stick that is .520" in diameter, light weight hickory and 1/4" over standard (15.5" is standard for this model, so this would mean 15.75")

La Backbeat is the shizz. My favorite sticks hands down!

I feel like this might be as simple as naming all the ants in your driveway and remembering who is who.

5A diameters:

Ahead: .540"
Promark: .551"
Zildjian: .560"
Vic Firth: .565"
Vater: .580"

I want to point out that Ahead, the 7A is also .540" diameter, just slightly shorter and lighter. The other companies I listed have smaller diameter sticks for 7A.

This would become messy. Say for example Vic Firth became the standard. What do the other companies now call their 5A? 5.1A? PM5A? 5AZ? Not 5A?

Back