Drum Stools

double bass man

About to buy my first drum stool. So many drum stools out there to choose from. Can I get a decent quality one for less than £100 ($138)? What would be your recommendations? What do you use? Much difference in the 'foam' padding used?

Thrones are like mattresses. You'll be spending a lot of time on them, so they need to be comfortable. Everyone adheres to a different concept of comfort, and though I've never come across a throne I couldn't tolerate, I've certainly liked some more than others. Your best bet, if you can, is to visit a retailer and try a few out. There's no substitute for firsthand experience in this case.

You can definitely find thrones in the price range you've mentioned. It's just a matter of discovering one you'll be happy sitting on.

I use a Pearl Roadster. It's very sturdy and quite comfortable to me.

Personally, I never cut corners or go the frugal route when it comes to a throne. I have seen first hand the kind of injury that can occur when using a sub-par throne that decides to give up. Just like C.M. Jones said, a throne needs to be comfortable and I'd also add rock solid.

Pearl Roadster, Rock n Soc, Tama, Pork Pie, DW, these are just a few of the companies putting out quality thrones. Most of the best ones start somewhere around $150 USD. If you can come up with another $12, you'll be a happy drummer!

I agree with all of the above. My 'cheaper' throne is a Gibraltar 9600 series two-tone throne. They're currently about $175 but I got mine on sale around a holiday for about $110. My 'stay at home' throne is a Roc n Soc Lunar Nitro, which is twice as comfortable but hard to take anywhere because it's not designed to disassemble. Scout out deals, but there's many good ones to be had at the $100-$140 mark.

1626191906063.png1626191978962.png

I can vouch for the offerings from Pearl. A few years back, I was on a gig with their top-end throne and the portion of the throne that accepts the the threaded rod cracked. At that point, I'd had the throne for about 5 years or so. I took a pic of the damage and emailed the company, hoping to be able to get that part replaced. Two days later, I came home from work to find a brand-new, top end throne with backrest sitting on my front porch.

You want to take your weight into consideration also. I'm a lightweight guy. I have a lightweight PDP throne that is comfortable for me for about 2 hours. A larger person might not find the seat comfortable at all. A 10 year old could sit on it all day.

I just retired my 30 year old Roc n Soc bicycle seat throne for a cushy Pork Pie model exactly like this one;

porkpiethrone.jpeg

which fits the rockabilly band theme great!!

soooo comfy for those 3 hour gigs!!!

I use a Gibraltar GI806904…very reasonably priced and good quality! (y) :)

Gibraltar GI806904 Round Drum Throne

I'm using a roc-n-soc round seat (blue) with the indented center..that bugs me though. Had a bicycle seat prior...hated it. I also like a back rest. I'll tell you one thing..to me it's a pain in the ass hauling around. I don't break it down. In between tunes I need the back rest. An old football injury that haunts me from time to time.

have a look on ebay/craigslist/facebook/social media as £100 should get you a pretty decent 2nd hand one :) i swear by my ahead spinal G throne and my backup roc-n-soc thrones and i picked both of them up 2nd hand :)

Don't skimp on your stool/throne. Here's someone who did and we know what happened to him.

1682.jpg

I would second going to a shop and taking a stool sample...

It's the only real way to know if you are getting something that will work for you.
That looks like a Premier 245 throne; I played on one for years till my band mates took pity on me and got me a more comfortable throne for my 21st birthday!! Brutal piece of gear but gave me an extra octave for bv’s! 😂 (y)

I use a Gibraltar GI806904…very reasonably priced and good quality! (y) :)

I used a Gibraltar throne for a long time and can vouch for their quality. I'd probably still be sitting on it had it not gone the way of the not-so-great recession.

If I wanted a switch from Pearl hardware, I'd go to Gibraltar in a second. Of course, we know that ain't never gonna happen. :)

That looks like a Premier 245 throne; I played on one for years till my band mates took pity on me and got me a more comfortable throne for my 21st birthday!! Brutal piece of gear but gave me an extra octave for bv’s! 😂 (y)
had one myself as well at one point, got it given to me, stopped using it after one rehearsal as it was way too uncomfy and too small for my fat arse xD xD xD

Don't skimp on your stool/throne. Here's someone who did and we know what happened to him.

1682.jpg

I would second going to a shop and taking a stool sample...

It's the only real way to know if you are getting something that will work for you.

It wasn't his stool that was the problem. It was how he set up his kit and how he sat in relation to the kit. I realize you're joking. I just had to say that.

I agree with most comments here. You want something that is comfortable, that is strong enough to hold your weight. But interestingly I didn't see anyone who mentioned height. I like to sit low. And I've had trouble finding thrones that go low enough. I ended up with Tama's entry level throne. I also didn't want to pay an arm and a leg. But now I wouldn't mind one that is more comfortable.

It certainly couldn't have helped. Those old thrones had very small cushions and provide bad support. A bad stool will make you move around a lot trying to stay comfortable and could result in worse posture than sitting on a comfortable stool.
I never said his throne wasn't part of the cause. But it was more to do with how he sat at the drums. Look at his spine in that picture. I believe he has said as much himself in interviews.

Back