Drum gear you don't like the looks of but you like the sound of it

-Drums that look like furniture. Can’t stand “exotic” finishes on drums. First off, they are drums, not a dining room table.

- Any drum that is too precious to be taken to a gig. Why even have it?

- Big, ol’ overly designed hardware/throw-offs Looking at you Mapex, Sonor, etc…

On the other hand…
Don‘t mind Center lugs at all. Love the lighter weight though.
Tube lugs aren’t my favorite, but they don’t bother me.
I love sparkle, wrapped drums.

Wow I hadn't paid any attention to their new logo until now. Looks so cheap. I actually wasn't a fan of the old logo either, but it was so much better. The new one feels like the type of logo you'd see on a toy or low-quality instrument.
I dislike all logos on cymbals, but at least now it’s not gigantic like old ones.

I've ranted about this a million times, but the latest mapex saturns. Also Sabian's latest logo. As a graphic designer who often deals in brand strategy, that logo makes me cry. And most of the ocdp clones of the late 2010's were horrible.
I'm not a graphic designer but even I can appreciate just how utterly disastrous that logo is. It's appalling. I have absolutely no idea how that even got past the draft stage.

DW lugs........will never own DW drums because of that. Love their hardware, just can't stand the look of their drums.
Reminds me of of 1950's Russian design bureau cars.
1668878802107.png

Yeah, I've had this same experience. Especially since there's variation in the finish and look of various hoops for drumheads. And it's especially noticeable if you have gold or black nickel hardware because then it doesn't match. I wonder how you could design a wooden bass drum hoop which would cover this up... Without looking even worse.
I seem to remember a bass hoop made to cover the hoop of the head. The only thing I can find now fitting that description are for tom hoops.

I seem to remember a bass hoop made to cover the hoop of the head. The only thing I can find now fitting that description are for tom hoops.
here you go:

They look like barrels haha.

here you go:

They look like barrels haha.
Ya, I hate them. I’ll take exposed head hoops any time over that.

A & F drums. Too steampunk for me. That said, I haven't seen them in person, so maybe I'd like them better then. And I'm sure they sound awesome.

-Drums that look like furniture. Can’t stand “exotic” finishes on drums. First off, they are drums, not a dining room table.

- Any drum that is too precious to be taken to a gig. Why even have it?

- Big, ol’ overly designed hardware/throw-offs Looking at you Mapex, Sonor, etc…

On the other hand…
Don‘t mind Center lugs at all. Love the lighter weight though.
Tube lugs aren’t my favorite, but they don’t bother me.
I love sparkle, wrapped drums.
I'm the exact opposite (which is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors). I'm a freak for exotic wood finishes (as my redwood burl avi would testify)

Drum mics and cables are my #1 eyesore. No matter how hard I try to conceal it still looks like I'm sitting at the podium about to give a press conference! 😆

The second ugliest thing would be drum cases that aren't at least neatly stacked. Yeah... I've been "that guy".

The third most ugly thing are any sort of electronic pad along with laptops and assorted electronic wizardry. The other drummer uses a laptop for all sorts of sound adjustments and an electronic pad with about 8 individual percussion instruments. It has become indispensable to our sound... but it's still ugly.

I'm not a graphic designer but even I can appreciate just how utterly disastrous that logo is. It's appalling. I have absolutely no idea how that even got past the draft stage.

I never paid attention to the latest Mapex Saturn logo, and usually don't pick up on things like that unless someone points it out to me first. Now that you have, I agree. It looks cheap. Now I cannot "unsee" it! 😉

All kidding aside, never got the long tuning rods on center mounted lugs. Seems a poor engineering decision, but they do sound good on the drums I heard them. My original hesitation with the Crosstown hardware was their odd look, but being able to make a quick adjustment moving the stand from behind the kit without having to put on a lifting belt is a godsend. Now, I’m so used to how they look….they’re kinda modern looking actually. A&F anything, but they sound amazing.

I actually quite like tube lugs. They are the reverse of the DW giant lugs and show more shell and are light weight to boot. When I got my aluminum Gretsch snare, I specifically wanted those instead of their long center lugs. Thought their New Classic line was sharp looking with the minimalist lugs.

Anything but chrome hardware, except the mat look. Kinda sharp, but tough to match….before the Crosstowns.

North Drums. What we’re they thinking? Sounded amazing back when concert toms were a thing. I still like those. I used to have an almost 1 for 1 match to Triumph’s (Gil Moore) kit back in the day, except for the second bass drum.

The Vox bass drum. I feel I need a spatula to be around them, but they do sound way better than I thought possible.

Reactions: A J
All kidding aside, never got the long tuning rods on center mounted lugs. Seems a poor engineering decision, but they do sound good on the drums I heard them. My original hesitation with the Crosstown hardware was their odd look, but being able to make a quick adjustment moving the stand from behind the kit without having to put on a lifting belt is a godsend. Now, I’m so used to how they look….they’re kinda modern looking actually. A&F anything, but they sound amazing.

I actually quite like tube lugs. They are the reverse of the DW giant lugs and show more shell and are light weight to boot. When I got my aluminum Gretsch snare, I specifically wanted those instead of their long center lugs. Thought their New Classic line was sharp looking with the minimalist lugs.

Anything but chrome hardware, except the mat look. Kinda sharp, but tough to match….before the Crosstowns.

North Drums. What we’re they thinking? Sounded amazing back when concert toms were a thing. I still like those. I used to have an almost 1 for 1 match to Triumph’s (Gil Moore) kit back in the day, except for the second bass drum.

The Vox bass drum. I feel I need a spatula to be around them, but they do sound way better than I thought possible.
LOL...was waiting for someone to mention North. Definitely polarizing. Had a friend who had a BIG set back in the day, so I played them a bit. Been 40+ years, so don't really remember if I liked them or not.

Back