Drum gear you don't like the looks of but you like the sound of it

I had an 80s Tama Swingstar that was totally mint and I paid 80$ CAD for, sounded awesome but never liked chrome look so I wrapped it with a tortoise pickguard material, it’s tricky to wrap a shell that you has no wrap to remove but it can be done.View attachment 127642
That looks great. How did you get it to bend so much without breaking?

That looks great. How did you get it to bend so much without breaking?
It came in a flexible roll, had to put two seams on the wrap because of the roll size but one of them doesn’t overlap so you don’t even notice it.
Maybe it’s not purely pick guard material but it was advertised as “music wrap for guitar pickguards” lol, it does feel a lot softer than a pickguard too

It came in a flexible roll, had to put two seams on the wrap because of the roll size but one of them doesn’t overlap so you don’t even notice it.
Maybe it’s not purely pick guard material but it was advertised as “music wrap for guitar pickguards” lol, it does feel a lot softer than a pickguard too

pickguards are layers - plys - of plastic, and this is the "top layer". The other layers of plastic give the stiffness to it

No matter how beautiful you think your kit is, one thousand microphones and miles of black cable make everything look bad.

unless you are in the studio, which then makes it look wicked cool

Yeah... The studio may be one exception. Playing live, however.. It just looks like crap.

yep...that is why I run my own mmic cords and mics to the sound guy via my little snake; all wires etc are neatly corralled via the little velcro cord tie things and strategically ran around the rack

Reactions: A J
Mapex these days just all looks cheap to me. Not sure why. They still sound great though.

Satin chrome hardware ain't for me. Tama are making satin gold hardware now too, and I think it looks terrible.

Power toms sound awesome, but can be clunky. Thankfully I don't like my toms super low anyway.

I think mics look cool. I like microphones. Bad cable management, however...

Last edited:
I can't think of anything that makes me go, oh, how awful, but it sounds wonderful.

Other than in the mid-late '90s, DW went through a phase where they were trying to come up with the ugliest wraps (er, finishes) ever. Every few months they'd outdo themselves with an even uglier color.

One year their booth at NAMM featured a drum set in a cow finish. For a top-of-line drum set commanding top dollar, it was pretty hideous. But even then, it wasn't the worst finish they released around that time.
I think I saw that set. Ugh.

Bump...

2 up 1 down kits. I like higher pitched tom sounds, but two floor toms just look sooo much better than two rack toms (especially when mounted on the bass drum).

Bump...

2 up 1 down kits. I like higher pitched tom sounds, but two floor toms just look sooo much better than two rack toms (especially when mounted on the bass drum).

That's probably it for me too. My kits are always 2 up, 1 down, but I think they can look kind of dowdy, newbie, and common.

Most any other configuration looks better, but none play as good for me.

Bump...

Had to hit reply again. Two up has to have two down. Two up one down is to Sears catalog to me. Can't get past that mental block.

Back