Drum collecting

I have a question about drum collecting. I really love drums - not just playing and listening to drum music but I also love the aesthetics of drums (as well as guitars). I came into an inheritance after my parents died and want to put some of into some drum sets. My friend and sister think I've lost it but I wanted to get some drummer's opinions. Even if you don't play, you have to admit the finishes of many drums are works of art. Tama, Yamaha, DW, Gretsch, etc. all make models with luxurious finishes. I knew a guy who was in a band and his drummer collected Dynasonic snares, Bun E. Carlos collects Ludwig snares. Obviously when it comes to drum sets, they're are logistical issues to consider but if you have the space and the money is it crazy to want to collect sets? I'm sure with some people I'm preaching to the choir, but I'm just genuinely curious here.
That's funny, you are a bit like me. I'm a keys player and even if I have been dreaming of a real grand piano for years, with the same love of aesthetic and craftmanship as you, I play "electronic keys", there are nice, even aesthetically (See below) but nothing like wood on guitar or drums.

I had a time when I was without my family for 3 years, seeing them 4 weeks/5 weeks per year only due to my job and thus, I decided to have a small collection of guitar so, I checked online what was the 5/6 type of sound in guitar and got 5 guitars, one acoustic, one semi hollow ala Gibson ES335 (Ibanez as153) and 3 G&L, the last company of our beloved late Leo Fender.

Same thing with basses, 2 Ibanez and one G&L.

Then, when 4 years ago, I decided to install instruments in the basement and to have a drum kit, the bug of collecting cymbals and snares started and now, well, you have the collection in the signature.

I asked myself first what type of material do you prefer and it was wood, for its wariness and less ping, I hated ping at the beginning but learnt how to get a nice ping in any snares by tuning and dampening. And wood is so natural and as so many variation in grain and veins that it was the perfect way to start with.

My first snare was a Tama Star reserve Plain Maple 14x5, I like shallow drums for their crack and sensitivity and because of this video. So, yes, I listened to a lot of Video to get an idea of how the sound is depending on the wood, still knowing that it could be changed a lot with tuning and heads but because Aesthetic was a big proponent of my willingness to collect, that,s why i decided i won,t tweak them much but each snare will be tuned at a specific range, its sweet spot ad I will change if i need another sound.

Then, I added few metal and I tried as well to get different sizes both in depth and in diameter.

So, there is no old standards in my collection, for example, everyone was telling me I need a Black beauty and a Suprasphonic but wood was my first focus and i wanted something a bit different than anyone plus I was not a big fan of the lugs of Ludwig so, I have no Ludwig, it,s a choice and maybe you will have only Ludwig snares, it's up to you.

But learning about snares and tuning and having a nice collection in term of Aesthetic is super fun, you will love it.

And one thing, I have not a lot of room because there is already 6 keys, 3 bases and a pedalboard for bass, 5 guitars and a pedalboard for guitar, 2 mixers, the spot for the 3 singers plus bassist and Guitarist so, I collected only snares but drums kit should be very funny too.

If you need help or have question about a snare, just PM me but about kits, there is many people here twho have more than one kit for sure and they are better than me to help you in this way. If I would have the room, I would have a Tama Maple Star Kit in 10, 12, 13, 16 and 22 and a Tama Star Walnut 20, 16, 12, maybe a 10 but more a jazz style kit.

So, only high end new and why Tama? They had the best sound and catalog and finishes when I was 15 and started for 3 months to take drums lessons...And of course, they are super drums too.

I have a question about drum collecting. I really love drums - not just playing and listening to drum music but I also love the aesthetics of drums (as well as guitars). I came into an inheritance after my parents died and want to put some of into some drum sets. My friend and sister think I've lost it but I wanted to get some drummer's opinions. Even if you don't play, you have to admit the finishes of many drums are works of art. Tama, Yamaha, DW, Gretsch, etc. all make models with luxurious finishes. I knew a guy who was in a band and his drummer collected Dynasonic snares, Bun E. Carlos collects Ludwig snares. Obviously when it comes to drum sets, they're are logistical issues to consider but if you have the space and the money is it crazy to want to collect sets? I'm sure with some people I'm preaching to the choir, but I'm just genuinely curious here.
There are some beautiful drums that's for sure. Go for it , why not.People collect all sorts of beautiful things. I'm curious how you are going to display them? Set up? Stacked up?

Are you planning on collecting drums with investment in mind, or is that something you either don't care about or haven't considered?

Please ignore that guy in Massachusetts who has been trying to sell that huge drum collection. He's a wacko.
He's somewhat local to me and I can vouch for wacko vibes. He's been selling drums and hardware out of a storage unit for years. I've got no problem with that, but he used to come up with stories as to why he was selling all of his equipment. "Due to health concerns, my loss is your gain." "Getting out of the drum biz...my loss is your gain." "Death in the family has made it difficult to maintain my collection...my loss is your gain."

I saw a pic of a couple of snares that were of interest to me once, so I reached out. I couldn't get a straight answer to any of my straight forward questions, but was urged to meet up and have a look. "My loss is your gain."

I know exactly the feeling you're having. I have 42 complete drum sets and 66 snares, aside from countless hardware and cymbals. I do not consider myself a "collector" but just someone that has wants. I am happily divorced, so my disposable income is spent on things I want without conviction or a need to answer to someone when I do. I have even built many of my sets as I do have a very elaborate wood shop outfitted with industrial machinery. I am always asked to "Go into business" after one views one of my creations but at this stage in my life I have neither the inclination nor want to be in a competitive vocation with thousands of boutique drum makers.....not to say the required capital needed for such venture. I make my drums strictly because "I want to". In regards to space for all my sets and subsequent snares.......I have very little remaining livable space but as I stated earlier, I'm happily divorced!

Last edited:
It's your money. I support whatever you decide to do with it. That said, my Dad collected Civil War paintings from a noted artist for many years. He poured a ton of money into his collection. Fast forward 15 years.... Dad is deceased and his "valuable" collection rests in the basements of his sons, taking up space and no value to anyone.
Are you sure about that? Guys like Mort Kunstler are very well respected CW artists, and their work is collectible.

Reactions: A J
He's somewhat local to me and I can vouch for wacko vibes. He's been selling drums and hardware out of a storage unit for years. I've got no problem with that, but he used to come up with stories as to why he was selling all of his equipment. "Due to health concerns, my loss is your gain." "Getting out of the drum biz...my loss is your gain." "Death in the family has made it difficult to maintain my collection...my loss is your gain."

I saw a pic of a couple of snares that were of interest to me once, so I reached out. I couldn't get a straight answer to any of my straight forward questions, but was urged to meet up and have a look. "My loss is your gain."
He told me to drive up to Massachusetts and have a look.

Right, and pigs fly. 🤪

Are you sure about that? Guys like Mort Kunstler are very well respected CW artists, and their work is collectible.

The artist is Don Troiani. I checked a while back. They're still collectible, but not crazy expensive. I only have one. It's a depiction of Lee's surrender; a very touching and calming picture. You'd think as a combat vet, I'd like the action paintings. Nope. I like the peaceful, "boring" ones. :)

The artist is Don Troiani. I checked a while back. They're still collectible, but not crazy expensive. I only have one. It's a depiction of Lee's surrender; a very touching and calming picture. You'd think as a combat vet, I'd like the action paintings. Nope. I like the peaceful, "boring" ones. :)
Of course, Don Troiani. Another very well respected artist of CW images. I'm very familiar with his work. I think Don lives in Gettysburg, but I could be wrong. I'd love to see a photo of that painting you have?

I now consider myself a collector - small timer with 5 kits.

Having said that, I don’t collect just to collect or amass drums: from me, nothing MiJ nor will you see duplicate series, (unless it’s a Pearl Sessions having multiple composition I’d love a maple).

My collection are drums that have inspired me.

There’s probably around 10 kits I’ve seen or known in my lifetime that have made me want one of them, and I don’t see myself having that many kits around.

Of course, Don Troiani. Another very well respected artist of CW images. I'm very familiar with his work. I think Don lives in Gettysburg, but I could be wrong. I'd love to see a photo of that painting you have?

The painting is called "a Soldier's Tribute". I'm having trouble uploading photos right now, but it's a fairly common print. The painting is cool because it captures the loyalty of the troops and immortalizes some of his staff officers. I'm a descendant of two Union soldiers. I'm not sure what they'd think of my painting depicting the Confederacy in a positive light but I suspect they'd be OK with it. Time heals all wounds.

As for drum collecting, my "collection" currently stands at approximately 3 kits, only one of which matches. Everything else is mismatched colors. Although I like checking out other kits, I'm actually very happy with my current "arsenal".

IM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Actually, right now I'm focusing on new sets - a Gretsch custom in rose wood gloss, a DW performance kit in red oyster pearl, a Yamaha stage custom birch in deep blue burst, and a Tama Star Classic maple in ruby Pacific walnut burst. I also have a Ludwig in mahogany burst which unfortunately was a limited run. What sets do you have?
IMO, if you don't plan on ever playing them... (are you going to let someone else play them? I don't like when an instrument just sits there as a museum piece (I'm sure Neil Peart's kit/kits will be the only ones I would accept and even then, if I was able to obtain one of them I would still play it because instruments are meant to be played not just displayed). again just MY opinion.

The painting is called "a Soldier's Tribute". I'm having trouble uploading photos right now, but it's a fairly common print. The painting is cool because it captures the loyalty of the troops and immortalizes some of his staff officers. I'm a descendant of two Union soldiers. I'm not sure what they'd think of my painting depicting the Confederacy in a positive light but I suspect they'd be OK with it. Time heals all wounds.

As for drum collecting, my "collection" currently stands at approximately 3 kits, only one of which matches. Everything else is mismatched colors. Although I like checking out other kits, I'm actually very happy with my current "arsenal".
I've seen that painting, of General Lee returning to his troops after signing the surrender at Appomatox. Do you have a signed print? There's one for sale online for $750. Don lives in Connecticut, BTW. I think Kunstler lives in Gettysburg.

I've seen that painting, of General Lee returning to his troops after signing the surrender at Appomatox. Do you have a signed print? There's one for sale online for $750. Don lives in Connecticut, BTW. I think Kunstler lives in Gettysburg.

Yes; it's signed and numbered. Dad passed away in 2006. Some time around 2000, he actually got to meet Don at an art show. When my Dad told him how many prints he had, Don replied; "I don't even have that many!" :)

Back