Don't @me on this but I think Pearl ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only company manufacturing in China worth a dime is Tama. They have their own factory, best finishes, tom mounts and hardware too! It's the 21st century! Pearl's tom mounts bust through a 1" hole in the shell. Who in their right mind would want that?

View attachment 121249
Darth Please go do some homework buddy.

My toms are virgin and green as you when it comes talking shop…
The vitriol in this forum can really be off the charts. Why do so many people on here take everything so personal? What's your wife's best dish?
Calls me a tosser whatever that is.
Asks why things are taken personally, follows with a question about members wife’s goto dish…🫥

Pearl's tom mounts bust through a 1" hole in the shell. Who in their right mind would want that?
Far as I can tell, there's only 4 lines that use that any more. The Export EXX, the Roadshow, the Roadshow Jr., and the Midtown (and the Crystal Beat concert toms - the 2 headed toms get Opti-mounts).

So .......... if you wanna argue what they used to do ........ have at it ...... it's your hobby. But it's kinda like saying Ford sucked in 1966;) ...... 'cause they built the Falcon. Yeah, they did (build the Falcon). They also finished at Le Mans 1-2-3, in 1966. And they won Le Mans 5 times. 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1975.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh ..... and Pearl has an assembly plant in Nashville, Tenn., where they put out the Music City line. Get back to us when Tama (your current drum of choice) opens up a shop in the US;)

Last edited:
I fear that us Pearlites may be the unwitting victims of a Tama, Tama, Tama, Tama, Tama comedian…:unsure:😁
Boy George 80S GIF
Don’t say I didn’t warn you…:unsure:

I think the point's probably been made before, but for me one of the biggest strikes against Pearl is this sense that there's no "there" there-- like, there's no single, classic product that I think of as the Pearl sound. There's no USA Custom, no Recording Custom, no Ringo kit, no Horst Link era, no SS Maple, no Collectors, etc. They obviously make great drums and they've got a huge product range and all that. But there's nothing that I think of as the Pearl sound and, to my ears, there never has been. Same with Mapex, but that's another issue.

Sorry to interrupt the fistfight. Carry on.

I think the point's probably been made before, but for me one of the biggest strikes against Pearl is this sense that there's no "there" there-- like, there's no single, classic product that I think of as the Pearl sound. There's no USA Custom, no Recording Custom, no Ringo kit, no Horst Link era, no SS Maple, no Collectors, etc. They obviously make great drums and they've got a huge product range and all that. But there's nothing that I think of as the Pearl sound and, to my ears, there never has been. Same with Mapex, but that's another issue.

Peter Criss had the Phenolic series and we all know the sounds on Alive 1 and 2.

The hard rock/hair metal bands in the 80s using World Series, MLX/BLX.

That’s all the ‘there’ I need.
I’d love to have a Prestige Series kit from that era.

Peter Criss had the Phenolic series and we all know the sounds on Alive 1 and 2.

The hard rock/hair metal bands in the 80s using World Series, MLX/BLX.

That’s all the ‘there’ I need.
I’d love to have a Prestige Series kit from that era.

I can't immediately pull up the sound of either of those kits even though I listened to Kiss obsessively as a kid. There's nothing distinct about it for me.

But Ringo's drums? That's a particular sound, and it extends to all these other players who used the 60s Ludwig drums. People still use old Ludwigs to get that old Ludwig sound.
Gadd/Weckl/Vinnie in the late 80s, early 90s? That's a sound.
All those Blue Note and Impulse! sides from the 60s? That's a sound.
All those 90s records made with Collectors Series drums? That's a sound. You hear the name "DW" and, for better or worse, you think of the Collectors even though they make an almost unlimited range of drum lines now.

You can certainly point to iconic records that were made with Pearl drums, but I don't think there's anything on any of them that'd make me think, "There you go-- that's the core Pearl sound."

Again, I'm not saying that they're not great drums or that you can't get great drum sounds from them.

The only company manufacturing in China worth a dime is Tama. They have their own factory, best finishes, tom mounts and hardware too! It's the 21st century! Pearl's tom mounts bust through a 1" hole in the shell. Who in their right mind would want that?

View attachment 121249
Man you are really stuck in the 80’s

Pearl good stuff is made in Taiwan. And their mounts don’t go through the shell. But you know that, you’re just trolling.

Great point. Do you think it’s fair to say Pearl’s classic product is the Export? It’s not necessarily a sound, but it’s what I associate with the brand and it’s been a consistent offering for decades now.

Great point. Do you think it’s fair to say Pearl’s classic product is the Export? It’s not necessarily a sound, but it’s what I associate with the brand and it’s been a consistent offering for decades now.

Well, actually, yeah-- and I think that IS a sound. That's the one Pearl sound I can pull up in my head-- the Export with pinstripes on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back