Don't @me on this but I think Pearl ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Nobody at the Country Club is impressed when you drive up in a Honda Accord.
Not exactly sure why anyone would be worried about impressing the punters at the Country Club anyways:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Am I to believe that Drumsallday is Darth? Say it ain't so.
Bringing us words of peace, love, and eternal cosmic wisdom:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Drum Mer

Platinum Member
I fear that us Pearlites may be the unwitting victims of a Tama, Tama, Tama, Tama, Tama comedian…:unsure:😁
Boy George 80S GIF
I laughed waaaaaay to hard about this 😂😂😂

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Nobody at the Country Club is impressed when you drive up in a Honda Accord.
The story I got from my uncle (who was one of EDS's first employees back in the early-mid 60s), about a decade after Ross Perot had not only founded the company, but was the richest man in Texas, he was still driving the same car he'd been driving 10 years earlier. He was asked about it in an interview, and said, "well, it still runs, and no one's ever tried to sell me a new one." He was driving a brand new car the next day.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
There was a time I would have killed to own. Pearl Reference-all the varying woods, thickness,edges was dazzling. I like what I hear from Pearl Sessions studio birch/African mahogany presently.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
You can always tell if it’s a real or fake Darth by bringing up Yammy Stage Custom. The real one spontaneously combust upon hearing such foul language. We need Darth-like people on here - what good is the light side of force without dark side, what’s salt without pepper, yin without yang, etc, etc. ad Libitum

Ransan

I don't know where you get your information but I'm not the somebody else you think I am. I checked out this Darth person on here. He lives in Pittsburgh. I'm near Lake Placid in NY. Get your head right.
It was a hunch based on trollability, your not too far off the mark.

opentune

Platinum Member
I don't know where you get your information but I'm not the somebody else you think I am. I checked out this Darth person on here. He lives in Pittsburgh. I'm near Lake Placid in NY. Get your head right.
Was just innocently asking if you is he, but now we know. Clarity.
I think we have even more clarity about Pearl drum lines too.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Louie Bellson played Pearl for awhile and Mel Lewis was a big endorser of theirs, are they still making the same model drums those guys used?
( I honestly don't know is why I'm asking).

Ransan

Louie Bellson played Pearl for awhile and Mel Lewis was a big endorser of theirs, are they still making the same model drums those guys used?
( I honestly don't know is why I'm asking).
Hope this helps.
From ‘76 cat:
Sorry for size.

1BCF3EEC-D947-4593-A150-1CF3B8D9B69F.pngA1525919-7581-4570-A9F4-837EBED215A7.png

Don’t think Pearl makes a 9 ply wood/fiberglass shell at this time their newer wood fiberglass were 7 ply with kapur.

Iristone

Who are they knocking off by using a 1" tom mount if nobody else uses one?
Rogers.
Pearl started off copying Rogers' script-badge drums (hence the old badge, 'Pearl'). And then they followed the XP8/Memriloc suit, with all-maple shells and large tom arms with memory locks.

harryconway

Platinum Member
And then they followed the XP8/Memriloc suit .....
Both came out in 1976. So I kinda doubt that to be the case. There'd be a whole lotta fast tooling going on at Pearl, if that were true. I think it was more a coincidence that both companies arrived at similar designs, at roughly the same time. Ludwig followed suit in 1981, with their modular hardware. So, if anyone was being influenced by another manufacture ..... I'd say Ludwig was following Rogers and Pearl.;)

...... all-maple shells ......
And those came out, again, in the same year. 1978. And my understanding is Keller made shells for Rogers AND Pearl. The all maple Pearl drums being assembled in Tennessee. So ..... was Pearl copying Rogers ???? Or did they simply reach out to a US shell manufacturer (Keller), and they (Keller) said "we just started making these all maple shells you might be interested in"?;)

Last edited:

Dutch

There's no problem with 'choice' but there is problem with the illusion of choice. Go into any supermarket and look at the sliced bread. You're likely to see at least four or five different brands all offering the same product for roughly the same price. White, brown, wholemeal, seeded and maybe 50/50, four or five of each. They're all the same. There is no actual value in choosing one over the other and there's no difference in the experience of eating it. You may as well just have 'white', 'brown', 'wholemeal', 'seeded' and '50/50' from the same manufacturer because they are all substantively the same. It's a waste of time, energy, resources and space - and this is where the German discount supermarkets get it right. Offer one 'named' brand, one store brand and you can cut down immediately on all of the difficulties of the supply chain and storage and pass the saving onto the consumer.

It is a bit different with drums because you're getting a slightly different product between manufacturers but I would argue that unless you're buying high-end and spending a lot of money there really isn't enough difference between most budget and intermediate kits to start navel-gazing over it. Just buy one. If you like, buy one second hand for even better value. The drum kit in its mainstream, everyday form was perfected over twenty years ago in this segment of the market.

Pearl offering so many variations is bound to have a knock-on effect on their efficiency as a company and given the current supply chain issues it only makes things harder and this is true of most manufacturers. I honestly think that they all need to rationalise their product lines and offer - essentially - three sets. A beginner set in two different size configurations, an intermediate set in three size configurations ('bop', 'standard' and 'rock' 18-20-22 bass drums) and higher-end sets in a range of configurations.

You might think that you're being disempowered as a consumer but we're also sat here in a drum forum discussing minute details all of the time and although we're a relatively large community, we only represent a tiny number of the people that are actually buying drums each year. I very much doubt to most people it would make much difference if the lines were somewhat rationalised.

So respectfully @larryace I disagree on this and I think it's better for the longevity of the companies that we buy drums for because the current status quo cannot carry on forever. It's too big and inefficient. Look at what Apple did in the late-90s when Steve Jobs came back - rationalising all of their computer products into four basic products (consumer desktop, consumer laptop, professional desktop, professional laptop) with a small range of configurations in each segment. It was largely responsible for saving the company.

A World with too much choice is a very wasteful one.
1657528069548.png
You’d enjoy this

someguy01

Platinum Member
So how'd you figure that since his profile says "From x"? I was unaware that location X was Pittsburgh, PA. So was Google.

harryconway

Platinum Member
So how'd you figure that since his profile says "From x"? I was unaware that location X was Pittsburgh, PA. So was Google.
True that. All I knew was he was from Appalacia (which by deffinition covers 420 counties and 13 states). User fills is the info. anyways. Could be accurate ..... could be completely false.

Status
Not open for further replies.