Deleted

ok, so not to ":burst the bubble", but I have heard that most of the "specialized" companies just use Keller shells. Like, very few are actually making the shells from "scratch"

Is this true?
I have a shoot next month near Concord,NH. If I have the time, I'll visit the Keller facility in Manchester, NH, and see if I can get that top secret list of who buys their shells.

I have a shoot next month near Concord,NH. If I have the time, I'll visit the Keller facility in Manchester, NH, and see if I can get that top secret list of who buys their shells.

oh man....NH in the fall is gonna be awesome

and cool RE: the "recon"

Major: Gretsch, Ludwig, Tama
Boutique: N&C, Pork Pie, Spaun

At what point does a boutique cross the line to major, i.e. DW?

ok, so not to ":burst the bubble", but I have heard that most of the "specialized" companies just use Keller shells. Like, very few are actually making the shells from "scratch"

Is this true?

If they don’t go into detail about their on-site shell manufacturing in their marketing, yeah, usually Keller.

At what point does a boutique cross the line to major, i.e. DW?
If there's a price point, I think in some cases it would be reversed from what you said.
Could go either way though.

Instead of price, I think it's more a matter of smaller production runs,
individualized options, finishes, hardware, or method of construction.

Or the ultimate - one of a kind - never to be repeated.

Last edited:
I love Noble's snares for sure although the pricing on solid shelled snares .. across the board for most companies, has gotten ridiculous, especially for craviotto IMO.
Without a doubt. It's getting to no snare made that way by either of them is under a grand. Talk about boojie!:oops:

I want to put Craviotto on my list but $7,999 CDN for a 3-piece 20/12/14 set?

I don't care how well they're made. I would feel ripped off paying that amount for a 3-piece kit, especially when a comparable Gretsch USA Custom can be had for about 50% of the cost of the Craviotto.

I'm not cheap, either, but I am not in the "money is no object" camp. Guess I'm not their target demographic.

A list of Companies that manufacture their own shells and hardware would be beneficial.. and could provide the point of Nich'eness. hey I made a word.. I agree the price of drums is getting to the forget it I'll just get a Caj'on stage. I think they are trying it out till it all comes crashing down..

Last edited:
I want to put Craviotto on my list but $7,999 CDN for a 3-piece 20/12/14 set?

I don't care how well they're made. I would feel ripped off paying that amount for a 3-piece kit, especially when a comparable Gretsch USA Custom can be had for about 50% of the cost of the Craviotto.

I'm not cheap, either, but I am not in the "money is no object" camp. Guess I'm not their target demographic.
I saw that kit on Instagram today. Absolute insanity. I love Craviotto and I own one of their snare drums. It's an excellent all-around instrument, but....there is no way in hell a 3 piece kit is worth $8K.

Eames Do. their own Shells I think.

By%20The%20Word%20033.jpg

By%20The%20Word%20031.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry timmdrum - even though I quoted your post, I completely misread it. You said "At what point", and I read "At what price point". :sick:
I guess when I hear major and boutique drum companies, price is the first thing that pops into my head. o_O

Probably more relevant to your question would be things like increased # of orders and sales, having to hire more employees,
increased name recognition, longevity, quality reputation, and so on.

Back