Danny Carey

Watched this during some down time in work today, rewatching it now at home. Fantastic, he is absolutely magnificent to watch! He is a master in dynamic build up, subtle part changes and the like. Much love for Mr Carey!

I remember late 90's when AEnima came out. I thought the revolution had come, a new paradigm in metal had arrived, I was optimistic that we'd see great things in the future....

I was wrong. Not only was I wrong, I was "Limp Bizkit" and "Puddle of Mud" wrong. I realized had misinterpreted the end of an era as a revolution. Nothing since has struck me the same way, even by Tool.

It might be my fault. but Tool's Prog/Pop ratio is now in Radiohead territory. OK Computer and AEnima are still in my playlist though.

Danny Carey & John Bonham will always be my 2 favorite drummers

Pretty cool video

Remove my shirt and spray me purple, if that ain't the dangedest stuff I ever heard about playin' the drums. I shore enough never heard of breakin' glass and using a dumpster on your drums til that young man put it to me like that in this movie about him. He seems like a nice enough fella but why don't he and those boys in his band get some fans to cool themselfs instead of taking off their shirts? Well anyways, I thank you Mr Justinhub for letting me watch your movie about Davey Curry who plays drums half naked.

Pretty cool video

Came across this a few years back. Very educational on how he plays and why he does things a certain way. Would love to see an instructional DVD of his some day, but doubt if there ever one will be made.

Pretty cool video

Yes, very cool indeed. I hadn't seen that one yet. Thanks for sharing. He's definitely one of my favorite drummers and a huge inspiration. He's a great guy and a good role model unlike some of these musicians that are drug addicts and have extensive criminal records. He's also well versed in different styles of percussion and philosophy and brings that to the music. He's always expanding on his playing.

Came across this a few years back. Very educational on how he plays and why he does things a certain way. Would love to see an instructional DVD of his some day, but doubt if there ever one will be made.

I too doubt it, but it would be great if he did. I think he's just too humble to do such a thing.

I too doubt it, but it would be great if he did. I think he's just too humble to do such a thing.

I saw Tool live back in 98' and was thoroughly impressed by the busy yet tasteful nature of Carey's playing. "Humble" is the best way to describe him. Though his skills are superb, he isn't a chops-first, clinic-focused drummer. Everything he does is designed for prime musicality. I have nothing but admiration for his approach toward the instrument.

Was the "intermission" 56 seconds long, by chance? ;)

iu

:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 1597320183697.png
    1597320183697.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: J-W
Nobody from the tool band can be considered humble.

Actually, they all can.....especially Danny. Have you ever met them?
As for his playing, I think CM Jones summed it up pretty well.

You have an ironic username considering every video you've posted, while all having great chops, lacks what I would consider anything resembling a groove.

As for any of them being "better" than Carey, that's a matter of opinion. Mine is that they aren't even close when it comes to musicality and/or playing to the song. What I see here, in my opinion, is just wankery. Sure, it's outstanding chops, but they are perfect examples of what I consider overplaying.

Again, that's not to say they aren't great drummers, but to me, they aren't great musicians. Again, just my opinion. That's my $.02 and I expect change back.

Gavin Harrison is from another planet, significantly better than Carey in every way,
I also think that Greg Fox, Zach Hill, Tim Alexander and Stephen Perkins are way better than Carey:

Cool story. Maybe you could go back to spamming your own posts then?

Honestly...how can you not consider Tim Alexander a great musician?

I was referring to all of the videos of the wanking you posted prior to me making that comment. Actually, I like "Herb". He was by far the best person in Primus (I can't stand Claypool), I have both Attention Deficit albums, Laundry, and I'm a Pucifer fan as well, not to mention "The Hollow" is one of my favorite APC songs.
So, I guess I was misleading in my comment. I should have said Greg Fox and Zach Hill are complete wankers, overplay and are anything BUT musical, and Tim Alexander and Stephen Perkins are just ok musicians, but neither are in the same league as Carey in my opinion.

BTW- that last video of Zach Hill actually had me laughing hysterically. Honestly, can that even qualify as music? Certainly not by definition.

Jesus man, this type of drumming isn't a competition. There is no "better" drummer. Just differing opinions of those who have heard them.

I'm curious: can you tell me from what point of view Carey is better than Perkins and Herb?
Mine. I've said it a thousand times already. That's what "in my opinion" means.

Don't get me wrong, i know that Danny Carey is a very good drummer, but it's definitely not in the same category of Neil Peart, Simon Phillips,
Terry Bozzio, Virgil Donati, Gavin Harrison and Gergo Borial...he's way below them.
Yes, in your point of view. (see above)

I get it, you don't care for Danny Carey. I don't care for the drummers you posted videos of. We are two different people with two different opinions.

Well...its been a waste of time "talking" with you,
You are too narrow minded for a place like a forum

Well then stop, because apparently you need to manage your time more wisely. "Minding your own fucking business" rather than digging up 9 videos in order jump right in here with your unsolicited opinion about Danny Carey, certainly would have helped. And having your fragile ego crushed when someone has a differing opinion than yours is the very definition of narrow mindedness.
Kettle to pot: "Have a good day!" :)

Back