Crescent cymbals... AKA Screw all you meaningless peons?

As i stated before my thread title was a little aggressive, i would've changed it but i lack the know how.

This is one of the main points. This is NOT bosphorus. This is Crescent. I myself have never seen any brash behavior or statements from bosphorus, which is a very reputable company. However i've been noticing arrogance from Crescent from day 1... just seems unwarranted to me

I don't think it was aggressive at all. They stated their qualifications. Is it their fault someone got offended? If you don't qualify, you don't qualify. Suck it up.

Yet an other side effect of this everybody gets an award stuff. Why should Crescent be expected to hold someone's hand and tell them gently that their not good enough for an endorsement? Get over it. The world isn't all puppy dogs and rainbows.

Get out there, bust your ass, then MAYBE you can qualify for an endorsement. But typically if you have to ask for one, you probably don't deserve one. If you're good enough, they will come to you.

The customer/client is king. Same applies when selling a car, interviewing job applicants, treating a patient, or at the bar.

Imagine if a newby drinker asked a bartender for a buyback and the bartender said: "well some bartenders give buybacks to children who buy $4 budweiser and sit in the corner, but I only give them to people wearing suits, that are good-looking, that buy single malt scotches and/or that come in with a bunch of cool looking people. What do I have to gain from giving you a free beer?"

The above is pretty analogous to Crescent's reply. Admittedly, it is awkward to ask a bartender for a buyback to begin with, but that bartender is still a jerk.

Perhaps a more proffessional response to the FB inquiry would have been:

"We appreciate everyone who contacts us regarding potential endorsement deals. Unfortunately, we cannot provide discounts to everyone that asks. However, we do take every inquiry seriously and evaluate every applicant on their merits. We appreciate your interest in Crescent cymbals and please do not be discouraged. Below are some of the criteria we consider when evaluating applicants for discounted endorsement deals.... Please keep in touch."

Getting personal with a customer and responding in a way that makes the customer feel like an ant is not cool.

Any further religious references will earn those members a baptism from Michael Vosbein, and an SJC endorsement.

The customer/client is king.

While companies depend on customers, that doesn't mean they're always right.

Getting personal with a customer and responding in a way that makes the customer feel like an ant is not cool.

No, that's true. I agree that Michael could have made a single, more cogent statement rather than letting himself be dragged into an argument. He could have schooled the poster more quickly and in turn, probably kept the conversation from escalating. However, I hope there's not any question that the poster needed some educating. A job applicant doesn't decide if he's right for the job, an auditioning musician doesn't decide if he should get the gig, and a hopeful drummer doesn't decide if he's endorserment-worthy.

If that drummer had a company, or had ever worked closely with a company, he would understand. But not everyone is in that position, so they need to be educated. That's the reason I posted my endorsement FAQ over 15 years ago, and I'm glad I've been able to enlighten more than a few musicians about the process. Apparently there are a number of them who've yet to read it.

Bermuda

I don't think it was aggressive at all.

If you were referencing what you quoted from me, my statement was that my own threat title was aggresive. Just an admittance of my own wrong doing :)

However if you were referencing a statement i made earlier, please disregard this message

Perhaps a more proffessional response to the FB inquiry would have been:

"We appreciate everyone who contacts us regarding potential endorsement deals. Unfortunately, we cannot provide discounts to everyone that asks. However, we do take every inquiry seriously and evaluate every applicant on their merits. We appreciate your interest in Crescent cymbals and please do not be discouraged. Below are some of the criteria we consider when evaluating applicants for discounted endorsement deals.... Please keep in touch."

i feel this would've been a much much better approach to the situation.

@ Bermuda, We should publish your endorsement info and get it in rollingstone or somethin heh

Last edited:
A job applicant doesn't decide if he's right for the job, an auditioning musician doesn't decide if he should get the gig, and a hopeful drummer doesn't decide if he's endorserment-worthy.

I agree- it is awkward to ask for an endorsement deal (or a buyback) and certainly inappropriate to demand one. Nonetheless, I wouldn't tell a job applicant: "some employers might hire uneducated children, but we only hire experienced ivy-educated proffessionals." A bit demeaning I think. I would say thanks for applying, appreciate the interest, keep trying, this is what we are loking for in the future.

I like the FAQ a lot- a must read for new drummers.

All I see is drama.

I thought this was exclusive to women?

Are you being serious,because I don't see a smiley face after your remark?

There are plenty of men out there who are as much about drama or more,than some women can be.I know some guys that are over the top drama queens,or should I say ...kings.

I don't think drama is gender specific.

Just sayin'

Steve B

I agree- it is awkward to ask for an endorsement deal (or a buyback) and certainly inappropriate to demand one. Nonetheless, I wouldn't tell a job applicant: "some employers might hire uneducated children, but we only hire experienced ivy-educated proffessionals." A bit demeaning I think. I would say thanks for applying, appreciate the interest, keep trying, this is what we are loking for in the future.

I like the FAQ a lot- a must read for new drummers.

Plenty of businesses have a pre -employment policy starement.Theirs is just a bit more no nonsense,and less PC than most.......tough.Deal with it.

The music business it a tough business,and there is no "every ones a winner here".

Essentially the're just saying what they expect out of an endorcer is plain PC less,understandable langauge.It's their candy store(sweet shop for my UK mates)

If you're offended or don't fit the wording of the criteria,don't go away mad....just go away. Come back when you have something to offer besides an overinflated sense of entitlement and an ego that isn't commesurate with your current skill set ,or actual talent level.

Kind of like a no tresspassing sign,that tresspasser love to ignore....except for drummers. Some need to develope a thicker skin.Something that you'll eventually need in life beyond the gig.

Steve B

The customer/client is king.

Depends how much the customer spends and/or how loyal they are.

I've got some I would literally jump through flaming hoops for if they asked because of how much they do with me in a given year. There are some I'd happily tell to piss off if they made such an absurd request.

If you're offended or don't fit the wording of the criteria,don't go away mad....just go away. Come back when you have something to offer besides an overinflated sense of entitlement and an ego that isn't commesurate with your current skill set ,or actual talent level.

I think you got it!- they are entitled to do whatever they want and I for one don't really care who endorses their product or if they think I am worthy. But their attitude is bad business and they will likely fail due to their lousy public relations- customers will indeed simply "just go away."

Geez, there are some precious responses in this thread.

Cymbal guy lays out a pretty standard argument in plain, inoffensive language and all over the interwebz knickers get in a wad.

(Just to be clear, I think that there's a whole bunch of over-reacting, and I think that in my personal capacity. I do not have an endorsement deal with Crescent nor with anybody else. Mostly for the reasons laid out in Crescent Guy's FB post.)

But their attitude is bad business and they will likely fail due to their lousy public relations- customers will indeed simply "just go away."

Explain. What attitude? I've been perplexed throughout this entire thread as to the whereabouts of this percieved attitude that only about three of you seem to see. Talk about mountains and molehills. That exchange was not "attitude" nor was it "lousy public relations". It was merely putting a vocal antagonist, who was unable to comprehend the reality of the situation in the first instance, back in his place. I call it fair play.

Actually, real life is pretty much exactly like that: "Screw you all you meaningless peons." It always has been, especially the music business.

It's fun to not be a meaningless peon. It's fun to have meaning, to matter to people who are willing to pay you good money to play the drums to the extent that you can make a living doing it.

Guess what. That takes practice, practice and building a career. Forget about the perks, just keep playing.

Explain. What attitude? I've been perplexed throughout this entire thread as to the whereabouts of this percieved attitude that only about three of you seem to see. Talk about mountains and molehills. That exchange was not "attitude" nor was it "lousy public relations". It was merely putting a vocal antagonist, who was unable to comprehend the reality of the situation in the first instance, back in his place. I call it fair play.

So you mean if I 'want' and 'want' and hold my breath 'til I get what I want, nobody will give me anything? I'm bummed ;)

So you mean if I 'want' and 'want' and hold my breath 'til I get what I want, nobody will give me anything? I'm bummed ;)

Unless of course you "want" TRX cymbals.......then you can have 'em.......and you can even have the privilege of paying over the odds in order to call yourself an endorser.

At least that way there's no company "attitude", no disappointment because little Johnny is told he's not really special merely because he asks to be.........only stroked egos at inflated prices!! :)

I agree.

Unless you want an endorsement with one of the many other small name cymbal companies. In which case, just break out your credit card, operators are standing by, and you too can be an "endorser" for the low low cost of 70% off of an inflated made up price! (shipping and handling extra).

I agree.

Unless you want an endorsement with one of the many other small name cymbal companies. In which case, just break out your credit card, operators are standing by, and you too can be an "endorser" for the low low cost of 70% off of an inflated made up price! (shipping and handling extra).

Oh I know. I was at NAMM with you!. Very friendly people, those Soultone guys ;)

Back