Craviotto Drum Kits

Neal Pert

Silver Member
Let's talk about them. Have you owned one? What do you think? What sizes and material were/are your drums?

I think it's worthless to talk about whether they're "worth the money," as that's super-subjective and a topic that can never be resolved. I just want to know what your experience has been.

I'd especially be interested in hearing what you think makes them stand out-- what makes them sound different from anything else you've heard or, alternately, whether you think they're pretty similar to other things on the market.

I'm no chaser of ornamental, inlaid prettiness dripping off of drums. Yes, I can sure admire it, but the craving I chase after is a drum's sound.

So yes, this kit is obviously adorned in all its top-line frippery, but pay no attention to that.

This was the first clip of a Craviotto that turned my head, and it got me by how it spoke, not how it looked.

Rich, warm, toney depth and smack!

sound like 0:28 doors single boards knocking
I don't want to stand out or cut thru that much
Ply shaved up cut up blend; not such an aural assault
So don't ask me
I'm just coming to very good terms with brass shell snare drums

😁
they're a mono-sound to me..
like type IV old Ks..

the history, is, solid shells were first
ply were an advancement.
So solid sound ancient to me like 1917 or 1906
bye
Or go whole-hog A & F for the 1/4" thick brass hoops that have everyone's attention.
I just hear a very primitive one-dimensional sound

Last edited:
sound like 0:28 doors single boards knocking
I don't want to stand out or cut t?hru that much
Ply shaved up cut up blend; not such an aural assault
So don't ask me
I'm just coming to very good terms with brass shell snare drums

😁
they're a mono-sound to me..
like type IV old Ks..

the history, is, solid shells were first
ply were an advancement.
So solid sound ancient to me like 1917 or 1906
bye
Or go whole-hog A & F for the 1/4" thick brass hoops that have everyone's attention.
I just hear a very primitive one-dimensional sound

Hey, Joe-- you know that you have the option of not responding on threads where you really don't have anything to add, right? And that you can start threads about topics that are different than the ones that are already on the board?

Would really like to try to keep this thread about people with actual experience owning these drums or at least playing/recording them extensively.

I've been talking to a friend-- a forum member here-- who really loves his Craviotto kit and that's got me really interested in how other people who've played and owned them feel about them. He and I seem to agree on a lot of the things we like but I've never done much more than tap on a few kits at Maxwells. I owned a fantastic cherry drum way back in the day, but it's been a while.

unusual.

Last edited:
I have played on two, a maple and a cherry. To me, the cherry sounded SOOOOOO good, like nothing I have ever played before. It’s a dream for me to be able to buy one some day, but I’m not holding my breath.

I have since bought a cherry ply drum, and it sounds different than maple drums, but not quite as sweet as that Craviotto kit did.

ah @Neal Pert
I see (Reverb) what's going on..

I'd settle on a snare - I mean really settle on a snare (too bad an older 60s70s COB Gretsch didn't or doesn't float "all" your boats. maybe it does?
So I'd settle on a snare before plunging in on an entire set (without a snare) of any make; Does that makes sense? Snare (is) kind of like the "spoonful of sugar" (that) makes the "rest of" the set, (medicine go down : ).
GLWS on Reverb; just saw it*..

*of course now- if you would have put an older COB 5" G snare with the set on sale bet you might have kept it around as a Classic..
just guessing. That's a set -with "it's" brass snare- that never goes out of style/long haul..
It's "always" creative, no matter the Season.. always sort of, inspirational..

Last edited:
ah @Neal Pert
I see (Reverb) what's going on..

I'd settle on a snare - I mean really settle on a snare (too bad an older 60s70s COB Gretsch didn't or doesn't float "all" your boats. maybe it does?
So I'd settle on a snare before plunging in on an entire set (without a snare) of any make; Does that makes sense? Snare (is) kind of like the "spoonful of sugar" (that) makes the "rest of" the set, (medicine go down : ).
GLWS on Reverb; just saw it*..

*of course now- if you would have put an older COB 5" G snare with the set on sale bet you might have kept it around as a Classic..
just guessing. That's a set -with "it's" brass snare- that never goes out of style/long haul..
It's "always" creative, no matter the Season.. always sort of, inspirational..

Nice catch! But that's not really what's up-- I'm not AT ALL convinced that Craviotto are for me and I'm pretty sure they're not. And I've got ZERO plan but I have got too much stuff around the house. I'm selling the Gretsches because I just like my Yamaha AHMs better as a bop kit. Heresy, I know, but still.

And one of the big reasons I'm inclined against getting a Craviotto or any super high-end kit is because I think 90% of my jazz sound is cymbals and snare. The toms are just not that important. And for backbeat stuff, producers seem to adore my Yamaha toms, so no reason to go expensive there, too.

I've been using my Noble and Cooley as my main snare for the last six years or so but I am craving something shallower for jazz. Maybe brass, but maybe wood. Not sure. The Canopus piccolo is amazing. So is the Recording Custom aluminum. Who knows at this point?

But yeah-- the Craviotto kits ARE gorgeous and some people swear by them, so I kinda want to hear what people think. But Matt Chamberlain appears to have switched from Craviotto to Yamaha AHMs and I LOVE his current sound.

At this point, I'm honestly curious and I haven't found as much as I'd have though about these drums given how fancy they are.

Reactions: jda
I expect some will vehemently disagree with me here, but that's ok. This is just my opinion.

I love everything about Craviotto's craftsmanship, how they're made, and the way that they look. My eyes tell me they are some of the best drums in the world.

But, when I close my eyes, they don't sound as good as they look. Their tone is quite cold sounding. Even kits made from a warmer wood like Maple or Mahogany sound cold to me.

But that is the nature of 1-ply steambent shells. They generally have to be thicker than standard-ply shells (and they require re-rings too). Generally speaking, thicker shells with more mass have less warmth than thinner shells. Some of you may prefer this sound, and that's totally cool.

Craviottos also have less low end than other drums. (in my opinion) Thicker shells + re-rings mean more mass, and that drives the pitch up. And the steam bending process raises the tension of the shell, driving up the fundamental pitch even more. (there's a video of John Good bending a single ply of wood to demonstrate how bending raises the pitch)

Craviottos have lots of midrange, and lots of attack, but the warmth just isn't there IMHO. Some people love that sound, and that's great.

That being said, would I want to own a Craviotto kit if I could afford it? Heck yeah I would! They're still incredible drums.

I have recorded with a set, and I own several Crav snares.
The kit sounded great, but no greater than my N&C Horizon or Pork Pie. I think it was a maple kit and it sounded very clean and pure, not characterful. I am not a fan of decoration, spare me with the ebony and pearl inlays, the gold hardware etc.
With many available kits sounding very good I differentiate by trying to support smaller makers. So that's why I would buy a Crav (or N&C or Pork Pie) rather than a Tama or Yamaha.

Maple sits in the middle, all you need really....Walnut sits in the middle with added clarity . Mahogany is as warm as you'll ever get. I haven't played cherry or ash. I do have maple / poplar which are snazzy sounding drums. Playing a set is not the same as spending time with them. That's when you get to know these drums. I think a lot of people jump to conclusions when it comes to these drums. I have drums from 26" down to 10" , I have no hesitation mixing them up either , they sound great anyway. If you can't hear a difference, don't buy them. I'm not selling them anytime soon to get back my old kits, put it that way. IMG_0272.jpeg

Last edited:
I owned a 12/14/20 Craviotto maple kit as well as numerous Craviotto snares (maple, black cherry, titanium).

Build quality was exceptional and there was definitely an initial “specialness” to playing such incredible instruments. From a sound standpoint though, they didn’t stand out over other high end kits I’ve played.

The maple drums were quite vanilla, sounded great but nothing exceptional, and the titanium was nice but I preferred the Dunnett and Ahead titanium snares I’ve owned. The black cherry was the best of the bunch with a really rich tone but I wasn’t playing it enough to warrant keeping it.

I owned a 12/14/20 Craviotto maple kit as well as numerous Craviotto snares (maple, black cherry, titanium).

Build quality was exceptional and there was definitely an initial “specialness” to playing such incredible instruments. From a sound standpoint though, they didn’t stand out over other high end kits I’ve played.

The maple drums were quite vanilla, sounded great but nothing exceptional, and the titanium was nice but I preferred the Dunnett and Ahead titanium snares I’ve owned. The black cherry was the best of the bunch with a really rich tone but I wasn’t playing it enough to warrant keeping it.

Interesting eh?

I find myself with the same perceptions.

I believe that it really does get to a point where you just really can't upgrade any further regardless of how much money you sink into a kit.

I'll bet my hairy back that my second hand Remo Acousticon has more depth, body, attack than a lot of stuff out there that I've heard which are classed as high end.

It's just heavy and ugly......and smells funny.

I'll bet my hairy back that my second hand Remo Acousticon has more depth, body, attack than a lot of stuff out there that I've heard which are classed as high end.
My two favourite and most used currently available kits are a Noble & Cooley Horizon and a Pork Pie I bought used.
My other best sounding kit is a 1960's Oaklawn Camco. I rent a lot of modern mainstream drum sets and although they all sound great, they don't sound as great (from my drum chair) as these 'high end' drums.
PS: My number one and absolutely all time favourite snare is a 6.5 x 14" Craviotto Black Cherry.

Back