Considering new kit

Merlin5

Gold Member
Hi guys. I've started seriously thinking about buying a new kit. I currently play a Yamaha 9000 RC in cherrywood from the 1980s and they've been my everyday gigging kit for years and years. They still sound great but I'm bored of the look of them and I really don't want power tom sizes anymore. I mostly gig with a 12 and 15 tom and the kick is a 20. I have an 8 and 10 too but rarely use them. I want something new and fresh looking with a vintage pearl wrap. So I'm considering this Gretsch Renown.

How good is the tone of the shells? Coming from a warm Birch kit would I be happy or disappointed with the Renown? In other words, although the Yamaha is very old, would I be going from a top tier shell down to a mid range shell? I looked at the Brooklyn but the price is crazy for just 3 shells.

By the way, I was just looking at the Pearl President Deluxe in Ocean Ripple. That blue finish is absolutely stunning, I was nearly sold on getting it for that alone. But would I be right in thinking the president is basically mutton dressed as lamb in that the luan shell is cheap wood and puts it more like Catalina Club territory and therefore overpriced?

Sweet, I love spending other people's money!

I have a Renown shell pack in Vintage Pearl. 10/12/14/16 with 18, 20, and 22 kick drums. You cannot find a better sounding kit for the money, IMHO.

Old Yamaha Recording Customs are great drums, but going from Birch to these Renown maple shells will blow you away. They have so much body, depth, and warmth, despite the shallower sizes. And yet they still have a clean and immediate attack as well. It's somewhat rare to get body, depth, warmth, AND a clean articulate attack all at the same time.

The tone you get from the toms while sitting in the driver's seat is incredible. They really give back to the player in such a satisfying way. You won't find another kit like it without spending double on USA Customs, trust me.

I can answer any questions you have about them.

Like IBitePrettyHard said. The Renowns are fantastic.

I have the Sweetwater exclusive one in a 12/14/16 with a 22x14 kick config plus matching snare.

Warm, punchy, focused yet just open enough for the sweet spot of drum tones. They sound great no matter the head choice.

I've made them fit tone wise into styles from classic rock to death metal to DnB and funk.

They are fairly hefty from the hardware, but that's what adds to their sound.

I highly recommend them, but I may be biased.

But would I be right in thinking the president is basically mutton dressed as lamb in that the luan shell is cheap wood and puts it more like Catalina Club territory and therefore overpriced?
There's nothing inherently wrong with luan as a tonewood. The Pearl arguably has better hardware and craftsmanship than the Catalina, and thus will tune up and sound better.
The Renowns should be a better contrast to your drum sound: a modern, balanced American sound vs a vintage Japanese sound. The Yamaha and Pearl will still sound quite different, but a Gretsch and Yamaha should be able to cover almost all styles of music. It still depends on if you like the bass drum depth of the Renowns, though.

It being your Yamahas are top-tier drums, regardless how great the Renown’s are, they are second-tier. Why aren’t you looking at the USA Customs? Or even Ludwig Classic Maples - especially if you’re talking about getting a vintage finish?

Once you get used to top-tier stuff, it’s hard to go back to an intermediate anything. So do yourself a favor and stay with what you’re used to: top-shelf gear.

It being your Yamahas are top-tier drums, regardless how great the Renown’s are, they are second-tier. Why aren’t you looking at the USA Customs? Or even Ludwig Classic Maples - especially if you’re talking about getting a vintage finish?

Once you get used to top-tier stuff, it’s hard to go back to an intermediate anything. So do yourself a favor and stay with what you’re used to: top-shelf gear.
Renowns are technically not top-tier, but I would argue that if you were to disguise a Renown kit with die-cast rims and USA Custom badges, nobody would know it wasn't a USA Custom. Not even die-hard USA Custom fans would notice. That's how close they sound. And that's how well-made they are.

I fully outfitted my Renowns with die-cast hoops, and now they practically sound the same as a USA Custom.

The only things holding the Renowns back from having USA Custom-level prestige are the badge, the extra finish options, and the satisfaction of knowing you own a USA Custom. Some may disagree, but I'm being brutally honest.

Thanks guys. So now I'm torn between what IBitePrettyHard said about how good the Renown actually is and what Bo Eder said about staying with top tier shells. :D

Hmm, tricky one. It sounds like the Renown shells are really good which is much better than I expected to hear. But Bo Eder has a good point about staying with top tier gear.

Recently I bought some top tier cymbals and a couple of top tier snare drums and I know I'm the kind of person that wouldn't have been happy with anything less like midrange snares and cymbals. It is true that it's hard to consider mid range stuff when you're used to a certain quality of sound.

The thing is, although I could go and splash out £3000 to £4000 on a USA Custom, Broadkaster or Brooklyn, I don't feel I want to do that, it's just too much money.
I had thought of selling the Yamaha but no idea how much I'd get for them. I don't really have the space where I live for a second kit but I suppose I could consider keeping the Yamaha and buying a Renown which at around £1600 for 4 shells with the vintage pearl wrap I like would be more affordable without breaking the bank. I suppose the best idea would be for me to get to a shop and see if I can play a renown and decide if they sound nice enough to me.

Sweet, I love spending other people's money!

I have a Renown shell pack in Vintage Pearl. 10/12/14/16 with 18, 20, and 22 kick drums. You cannot find a better sounding kit for the money, IMHO.

Old Yamaha Recording Customs are great drums, but going from Birch to these Renown maple shells will blow you away. They have so much body, depth, and warmth, despite the shallower sizes. And yet they still have a clean and immediate attack as well. It's somewhat rare to get body, depth, warmth, AND a clean articulate attack all at the same time.

The tone you get from the toms while sitting in the driver's seat is incredible. They really give back to the player in such a satisfying way. You won't find another kit like it without spending double on USA Customs, trust me.

I can answer any questions you have about them.
Anyone can recommend a drum brand they like and explain to death why. IT DOES NOT MATTER, the way a drum sounds is subjective, what one person likes other will hate. The only way this would work is if somehow you could find a universally liked brand where everyone's opinion is the same (a very positive one). for example: The black beauty snare. But even then, some people don't like it. Now that was just one drum out of a complete kit, I am not sure if such a universally liked kit exists.
The other issue is that you can ask ten drummers the same question and you will get 10 different answers.
I am referring to the use of Adjectives: "Body" "Depth" "Warmth" "Clean and articulate attack" (that last one might be the only one where most people would agree). But it is the same as when describing cymbals, people can't agree on what a dark vs bright sounding is. (The ten different answers).
So, it's ok to use your experience as a point of reference but in reality the only way that anyone can agree or disagree with your definitions is by testing the drums themselves.
(we know video does not do them justice because all the processing involved, also even if testing said drums at the store, they will sound different on the rehearsal room). Too many variables.

Now there is an argument to be had there. Top shelf is top shelf, however, second tier of present time is miles better than second tier of say...20 years ago due to a vast improvement in manufacturing processes, the company's experience, and design improvements during that time.
Now Finishes are a different story, I am not sure if you can custom order a finish in a second tier kit, but if it comes with the finish you want already then bonus. Again Pictures/video will not do the drum justice. (specially video taken with modern phones which tends to enhance the way color looks even if so slightly). Nothing like seeing the finish in person.

The only thing mid-tier about Renowns is the price. The build quality and sound quality are pro level.

I replaced a hand-made set of Sakae (Yamaha) Birch Custom Absolutes with a set of Renowns and I would make that trade again every day and twice on Sundays. The BCANS were made of the same Hokkaido birch that the Recording Customs are made from, so I know the sound difference keenly. The Renowns have more character, for sure. Less clinical.

By all means, try them out first if you can but be aware that any set of drums displayed in a shop for trial are going to be miserably tuned most likely. I think that Renown's quality will shine through regardless, but prepare yourself for that.

You will not be disappointed by the build or sound of the Renown’s. I owned a RN2 and just loved it except the 18” deep bass drum. The ONLY reason I moved it as a local drummer wanted it as it was white marine Pearl and he had a project in mind . He offered his USA customs to me if I added a bit of cash. They were Charlie Watts colour and configuration and Charlie had just passed - so it was an emotional decision. You’d be hard pressed to hear the difference between the kits.

Too many variables.
After my Sonor kit failed* I decided to evaluate all brands that were available to me at a local store. There were three stores: Guitar Center, Music Shoppe, Skins 'n Tins. I was able to check out Gretsch, Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, Ludwig and DW. My own criteria was the "trifecta" of shell construction, hardware & finish. I would not compromise on any of those factors.

The first thing I noticed was, it is very difficult to sonically evaluate a 16" floor tom or bass drum in the middle of a music store. Other drums hum, other shoppers are tapping or playing a guitar or talking to others. The second thing was, only the drum shop did not flinch when I removed the batter head to check out the bearing edges; the other two shops were not keen on me doing that. It was really frustrating.

Years later, after I purchased my Tama Starclassic kit, I was on a road trip and stopped at Dale's Drum Shop in Pennsylvania (great place, BTW). While I was trying out various snare drums, a young fellow came in and, with the help of an employee, set up a nice Ludwig kit in the middle of their drum kit room. He played very well and I stopped tapping snares so he could get a better listen to what he was hitting. After about 30 minutes, I asked him if I could play the kit and he could listen from 10' away. He was shocked at how different it sounded, re-tuned a couple drums (including tightening up the bass drum) and let me play again while he evaluated. He ended up buying the kit, and we both figured the best way to evaluate a kit was from 10' away.

* The main body of the hex-rod hi-hat clutch cracked and it took $180 plus six months to get a replacement. Several years later (and only 4–5 gigs outside my home) the massive tom tree cracked, dropping the 13" tom to the floor. 😭

Now there is an argument to be had there. Top shelf is top shelf, however, second tier of present time is miles better than second tier of say...20 years ago due to a vast improvement in manufacturing processes, the company's experience, and design improvements during that time.
Now Finishes are a different story, I am not sure if you can custom order a finish in a second tier kit, but if it comes with the finish you want already then bonus. Again Pictures/video will not do the drum justice. (specially video taken with modern phones which tends to enhance the way color looks even if so slightly). Nothing like seeing the finish in person.
I was going to make the same argument. Even cheap kits are about on par with the mid tier of 20 years ago.

Finish is always the tough part. I was bouncing back and forth between the wrapped finishes on the RN2s when I saw Sweetwater's burnt orange sparkle. Killer color, a configuration more my style and I just had to have them. Didn't think about it and just blew my budget on the kit forgetting about the other options.

Worth it 😀

I'd do it again if they had one in green.

You will not be disappointed by the build or sound of the Renown’s. I owned a RN2 and just loved it except the 18” deep bass drum. The ONLY reason I moved it as a local drummer wanted it as it was white marine Pearl and he had a project in mind . He offered his USA customs to me if I added a bit of cash. They were Charlie Watts colour and configuration and Charlie had just passed - so it was an emotional decision. You’d be hard pressed to hear the difference between the kits.
I will have to say that quality wise, my only issue is the snare side 302 hoop on my Renown snare is out of round. Still tunes fine, just bugs me a bit.

But that can happen with any manufacturer at any level.

Renowns are technically not top-tier, but I would argue that if you were to disguise a Renown kit with die-cast rims and USA Custom badges, nobody would know it wasn't a USA Custom. Not even die-hard USA Custom fans would notice. That's how close they sound. And that's how well-made they are.

I fully outfitted my Renowns with die-cast hoops, and now they practically sound the same as a USA Custom.

The only things holding the Renowns back from having USA Custom-level prestige are the badge, the extra finish options, and the satisfaction of knowing you own a USA Custom. Some may disagree, but I'm being brutally honest.
I’m sure you’re not wrong. But say you’ve already owned a real USA Custom, why would you purposefully buy a Renown? And then spend extra to make them more like USA Customs? If you’ve already owned a Porsche, why does it now make more sense to buy a Corolla and hot Rod it?

So I'm considering this Gretsch Renown. [...] How good is the tone of the shells? Coming from a warm Birch kit would I be happy or disappointed with the Renown?

I've played probably 3-4 different sets of Renowns, and they were all stellar kits. I love the way they sound. IDK if you'll be happy or disappointed with them, but I know a lot of people love their Renowns.

In other words, although the Yamaha is very old, would I be going from a top tier shell down to a mid range shell? I looked at the Brooklyn but the price is crazy for just 3 shells.

They are expensive, but if they speak to you, then maybe you should look into it.

By the way, I was just looking at the Pearl President Deluxe in Ocean Ripple. That blue finish is absolutely stunning, I was nearly sold on getting it for that alone. But would I be right in thinking the president is basically mutton dressed as lamb in that the luan shell is cheap wood and puts it more like Catalina Club territory and therefore overpriced?

Yes, you are correct IMO. I know I'm gonna make some enemies, but I played one of these, and it was an absolute dud. Here's the thing - I love vintage drums. I'm an absolute sucker for an old wrap and a script badge, but I was disappointed with these shells. I wanted to like them sooo badly, but I just can't. I guess my best response is that they are just not for me. I could be wrong though (see disclaimer in my signature).

Play whatever you get before you buy it.

My Renown came with Die Cast hoops. Wouldn't change them

Back