Considering new kit

... I know I'm the kind of person that wouldn't have been happy with anything less like midrange snares and cymbals. It is true that it's hard to consider mid range stuff when you're used to a certain quality of sound.
This is me. I will never have the budget for a Tama Star or custom shop Pearl, but I would also never be happy with many of the "Mid-range" Kits. While they may sound fine and play fine, it would always bug me that there was something "better" only a $1000 dollars away.

I know me. I would spend months justifying my purchase and trying to calm that inner voice. In the end, I would buy the next level up and quickly forget the financially stupid decision that led me to buy twice.

I know this isn't rational. I wish I could be that guy that says a Renown kit is good enough, but I'm not.

What does your inner voice have to say about the matter?

The thing is, although I could go and splash out £3000 to £4000 on a USA Custom, Broadkaster or Brooklyn, I don't feel I want to do that, it's just too much money.
Buy once, cry once. You say you've played your Yamaha kit for many years, so long term ownership is part of your nature. Buy the more expensive Gretsch if they speak to you. This sounds like a decision you'll live with for many years. Stretch your budget if it's possible and buy something you won't have to make excuses for.

I don't really have the space where I live for a second kit...
They only take up 20", 22", or 24" of floor space if they aren't set up.

I had thought of selling the Yamaha but no idea how much I'd get for them. I don't really have the space where I live for a second kit but I suppose I could consider keeping the Yamaha and buying a Renown which at around £1600 for 4 shells with the vintage pearl wrap I like would be more affordable without breaking the bank. I suppose the best idea would be for me to get to a shop and see if I can play a renown and decide if they sound nice enough to me.
Power sizes are a bit of a detriment in resale, but you can go on eBay, Reverb, Facebook Marketplace (Yamaha Drums Worldwide Marketplace and Information Worldwide is an excellent group). If you don't have room for 2 kits, then getting $2000 - $3000 (or more) for your Yamaha RC's will give you a nice down payment towards any kit you buy.

I'll give a thumbs up everyday of the week, if you want a Renown. But, it sounds like you're more like "maybe", and need to explore the more expensive spread.

This is me. I will never have the budget for a Tama Star or custom shop Pearl, but I would also never be happy with many of the "Mid-range" Kits. While they may sound fine and play fine, it would always bug me that there was something "better" only a $1000 dollars away.

I know me. I would spend months justifying my purchase and trying to calm that inner voice. In the end, I would buy the next level up and quickly forget the financially stupid decision that led me to buy twice.

I know this isn't rational. I wish I could be that guy that says a Renown kit is good enough, but I'm not.

What does your inner voice have to say about the matter?

Buy once, cry once. You say you've played your Yamaha kit for many years, so long term ownership is part of your nature. Buy the more expensive Gretsch if they speak to you. This sounds like a decision you'll live with for many years. Stretch your budget if it's possible and buy something you won't have to make excuses for.

They only take up 20", 22", or 24" of floor space if they aren't set up.
We all make decisions based on our wants, needs, & financial circumstances.

Some people are very lucky in that they buy whatever they want, without having to worry about the cost.
For most of us on this forum however, drums are an absolute passion, not a throwaway thing we buy on a whim and then discard when we're bored. As such, if your circumstances permit, buy the kit your heart desires, whatever level that may be, and have no regrets.

Your dream kit will inspire you to play better, will instil pride of ownership, and make you glad you chose not to take the "sensible but compromised" option. If it's within your means, you'll NEVER regret stretching that little bit further.

We all make decisions based on our wants, needs, & financial circumstances.

Some people are very lucky in that they buy whatever they want, without having to worry about the cost.
For most of us on this forum however, drums are an absolute passion, not a throwaway thing we buy on a whim and then discard when we're bored. As such, if your circumstances permit, buy the kit your heart desires, whatever level that may be, and have no regrets.

Your dream kit will inspire you to play better, will instil pride of ownership, and make you glad you chose not to take the "sensible but compromised" option. If it's within your means, you'll NEVER regret stretching that little bit further.
Responding to bold

I only have room for 1 kit. Every couple years I get bored and sell my current shells to buy another.

I've been very tempted to get a Starclassic maple kit lately, but my RN2s sound too good to want to sell off. Consider it testament to the Renowns that a guy that gets bored of a kit easily won't get rid of them.

I'm gonna have to sell off an amp or two to make room 😆

Hi guys. I've started seriously thinking about buying a new kit. I currently play a Yamaha 9000 RC in cherrywood from the 1980s and they've been my everyday gigging kit for years and years. They still sound great but I'm bored of the look of them and I really don't want power tom sizes anymore. I mostly gig with a 12 and 15 tom and the kick is a 20. I have an 8 and 10 too but rarely use them. I want something new and fresh looking with a vintage pearl wrap. So I'm considering this Gretsch Renown.

How good is the tone of the shells? Coming from a warm Birch kit would I be happy or disappointed with the Renown? In other words, although the Yamaha is very old, would I be going from a top tier shell down to a mid range shell? I looked at the Brooklyn but the price is crazy for just 3 shells.

By the way, I was just looking at the Pearl President Deluxe in Ocean Ripple. That blue finish is absolutely stunning, I was nearly sold on getting it for that alone. But would I be right in thinking the president is basically mutton dressed as lamb in that the luan shell is cheap wood and puts it more like Catalina Club territory and therefore overpriced?

I'm willing to share my experience.

I used to own one of these from the same era and like you, played it for decades. I finally sold it for various reasons.

In the past I've owned and played at various points: Gretsch Renowns, Gretsch New Classics, USA Customs & Brooklyns, & Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maples. None of these sets were 'dogs' but it did boil down to sound, feel and hardware setup.

Renown's hold their own against anything else and shouldn't be viewed as a 'lesser' set. They are wonderful drums for the money and the best bang for the buck set I ever owned. In the end, I just preferred the USA Customs due to sound and feel.

In the end I landed with USA Customs and Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maples.

I ended drilling out the USA Custom bass drum for the tom mount and went direct to shell for the tom as I truly hated the 'isolation' hardware and much prefer direct bass drum mounting.

All this said, if I could afford a new Recording Custom set in the sizes I prefer with the non-hanging floor toms, I'd buy one. With today's prices, and where I'm at in life, I'm afraid I'm way past that. I do own a few newer Recording Custom snares and they are wonderful.

Thanks, not heard of Barton but will check them out. Thanks to everyone for their help, I really appreciate it!

cbphoto, I must admit I've always been very attracted to the Tama Starclassic and they have lots of beautiful finishes. A few years ago I thought if I ever bought another kit it would be a Starclassic. For some reason, I'm now more attracted to Gretsch. The only Gretsch drum I have is a silver series maple snare with diecast hoops which I like although it's never been my favourite but I enjoy playing it from time to time.

doggyd69b, it's a really interesting point you brought up about improvements in current second tier shells v vintage top tier shells. I never considered that before.

yammyfan, thanks, it's great to know that another yamaha owner of birch shells thinks the Renown is really good too.

Porkpieguy and JohnnyG, thanks. That's two more endorsements for the Renown. I must say, I wanted the diecast hoops (mostly for the look) but I found out they're on the discontinued RN1. Still, I'm not particularly bothered now if it's diecast or the newer 302 hoops.

Square, harryconway, GSL, Liaztraht, Bo Eder, thanks, some great thoughts there. And yeah, stacked up as a column of drums I guess they wouldn't take up much space.

Bo Eder, I must say, I thought vintage recording customs might be so sought after that power toms wouldn't be less desirable but that's obviously not the case. Very good point though about 80s tribute acts! I have to admit though that I wish I'd babied these drums like I do with all my snare drums and like I would with a new kit, but unfortunately over the years during my less responsible days, I was sloppy with handling them and they've acquired lots of chipped paintwork. Overall they still look good but could really do with refurbishing. But that would be too expensive. So the resale price will be quite reduced I imagine.

Here's what I'm thinking now. If I were to sell the 9000RC I would definitely be looking to replace with a USA Custom or any current top tier kit. But £6000 is such a lot of money!

My more desirable and pocket friendly option would be to keep the 9000RC but buy a Renown and have two kits. I still enjoy the sound of the Yamaha so I can still gig it and have the warm sound of the birch, and I'd also have the brand new and fresh look and different sound of the Gretsch kit. That way I'd still have peace of mind knowing I still own some top tier shells. And judging by so many people here saying the Renown sounds really good, I reckon I'd be happy enough with it. I will of course go try some first.

ADrummerGuy, thanks for your comments. Regarding Recording Custom snare drums, I recently bought a brand new RC aluminium and RC brass, both 14" x 6.5". Oh man, they're incredible! I swapped out the top triple flange hoop of the brass for a diecast and it's now become my favourite snare drum, it's a beast. Looks great and sounds even better.

Drums are like beer needing a good head ,and then color and flavor to your liking. I hope you find something to your liking.

Thanks GetAgrippa. :)

I've been checking more videos and I do think they sound nice and warm. Question about the double tom holder. Is it possible to remove either of the L shaped ball joint arms when only gigging with one mounted tom?

Hi guys. I've started seriously thinking about buying a new kit. I currently play a Yamaha 9000 RC in cherrywood from the 1980s and they've been my everyday gigging kit for years and years. They still sound great but I'm bored of the look of them and I really don't want power tom sizes anymore. I mostly gig with a 12 and 15 tom and the kick is a 20. I have an 8 and 10 too but rarely use them. I want something new and fresh looking with a vintage pearl wrap. So I'm considering this Gretsch Renown.

How good is the tone of the shells? Coming from a warm Birch kit would I be happy or disappointed with the Renown? In other words, although the Yamaha is very old, would I be going from a top tier shell down to a mid range shell? I looked at the Brooklyn but the price is crazy for just 3 shells.

By the way, I was just looking at the Pearl President Deluxe in Ocean Ripple. That blue finish is absolutely stunning, I was nearly sold on getting it for that alone. But would I be right in thinking the president is basically mutton dressed as lamb in that the luan shell is cheap wood and puts it more like Catalina Club territory and therefore overpriced?
I special ordered my piano-red Recording Customs new in 1985 and have loved them like a pig loves slop ever since. Power toms 10, 12, 13, 14, 16x16 floor, 24x16 kick, and the matching snare in a 14x7. Huge sound, like timpanis meeting canons. Just a fantastically powerful sound. I also happened to have a Gretsch Renown kit I bought new in 2005. Totally stock except for newer heads. You can't go wrong with these. Excellent recording drums. Tons of hits have been made on Gretsch drums.

I thought vintage recording customs might be so sought after that power toms wouldn't be less desirable but that's obviously not the case. Very good point though about 80s tribute acts! I have to admit though that I wish I'd babied these drums like I do with all my snare drums and like I would with a new kit, but unfortunately over the years during my less responsible days, I was sloppy with handling them and they've acquired lots of chipped paintwork. Overall they still look good but could really do with refurbishing. But that would be too expensive. So the resale price will be quite reduced I imagine.
Since you're only using the RC's in a 4 piece configuration, maybe think to sell off the toms (maybe keep the 15 as a floor) ...... get a traditional sized 12x8 in matching finish ...... and you're good to go. I've had 3 RC's over the years, and 1 pre-RC 9000 split lug. One of the nice benefits to having RC's is ..... they made a lot of them. For a while, one of my RC kits was my beater kit. And as beater kits go, not too shabby;)

3.jpg2.jpg
Personally, I've fallen for the early 8000 series drums. 20x14. 10x10. 12x8, 13x9, 14x14, 16x16 ...... and I added a 24x14 9000 series (because I might never find a matching 24x14 8000 split lug bass drum) ...... all in matched Natural Wood finish. Still .... a Yamaha fanboy:) And Gretsch and Ludwig:ROFLMAO:

I've been checking more videos and I do think they sound nice and warm. Question about the double tom holder. Is it possible to remove either of the L shaped ball joint arms when only gigging with one mounted tom?
If not you can always fly a cymbal off the Larm with an attachment

Yes. I only played mine with 1 up. From memory. Loosen a wing nut- open up the clamp mechanism, remove the ball and L arm.Return bolt and wing nut and tighten. About a minute all up.

Since you're only using the RC's in a 4 piece configuration, maybe think to sell off the toms (maybe keep the 15 as a floor) ...... get a traditional sized 12x8 in matching finish ...... and you're good to go. I've had 3 RC's over the years, and 1 pre-RC 9000 split lug. One of the nice benefits to having RC's is ..... they made a lot of them. For a while, one of my RC kits was my beater kit. And as beater kits go, not too shabby;)

View attachment 138128View attachment 138129
Personally, I've fallen for the early 8000 series drums. 20x14. 10x10. 12x8, 13x9, 14x14, 16x16 ...... and I added a 24x14 9000 series (because I might never find a matching 24x14 8000 split lug bass drum) ...... all in matched Natural Wood finish. Still .... a Yamaha fanboy:) And Gretsch and Ludwig:ROFLMAO:

So, you think you're going to just post this first pic and not explain what is going on with the hi hats?

Come on, what gives?

So, you think you're going to just post this first pic and not explain what is going on with the hi hats?

Come on, what gives?
Looks pretty obvious to me that it’s a quick release clutch.

If not you can always fly a cymbal off the Larm with an attachment

That's a cool idea! (y)

Yes. I only played mine with 1 up. From memory. Loosen a wing nut- open up the clamp mechanism, remove the ball and L arm.Return bolt and wing nut and tighten. About a minute all up.
Awesome, thanks.(y)

Guys, just to throw a spanner in the works for a moment, do any of you have any experience of this Sonor AQ2 kit?

Same sort of price range as the Renown, even less actually, and the same 7 ply maple. I really like that marine pearl wrap. Any good or is the Renown still better?

That's a cool idea! (y)

Awesome, thanks.(y)

Guys, just to throw a spanner in the works for a moment, do any of you have any experience of this Sonor AQ2 kit?

Same sort of price range as the Renown, even less actually, and the same 7 ply maple. I really like that marine pearl wrap. Any good or is the Renown still better?
I wouldn't. The AQ2 is a decent kit, but nowhere near the quality of the Renowns. I've noticed in many of the AQ2 demos I've watched that the toms are uneven in their sustain, likely due to poor mounting hardware.

Also, they use all Asian maple, which doesn't sound as good as the Renowns (which use a combination of North American and Asian Maple)

I wouldn't. The AQ2 is a decent kit, but nowhere near the quality of the Renowns. I've noticed in many of the AQ2 demos I've watched that the toms are uneven in their sustain, likely due to poor mounting hardware.

Also, they use all Asian maple, which doesn't sound as good as the Renowns (which use a combination of North American and Asian Maple)
Thanks, excellent information and that's what I needed to find out. It's a nice looking kit but I did wonder why it's so cheap and now I know why. I'll stay away from the AQ2 then.

Back