Clean your hoops!

JimmyM

Diamond Member
Last time I cleaned the hoops on my beloved 6 1/2 x 14 Ludwig Standard maple snare was about 30 years ago. They were all pitted and bent already, and they got a little extra shine but they still look 70 or 80 years old. So I never bothered with it till tonight when I got to feeling a little guilty about not doing it in so long. Didn't take the hardware off but I gave it a cleaning, too. I put the heads back on, tuned it just like I had it before, and...

200.gif

I never thought that it would do anything but pretty it up a little from a distance. Instead, it turned my very woody sounding snare drum into a Black Beauty :D Actually, to me, it sounds way better than a BB now. Has all the gorgeous cracky harmonic content with none of the drawbacks (IMHO) of metal shells. Never would have seen that coming. If I'd have known this was going to happen, I would have done a before/after recording.

I am so lucky that this drum still performs like it does. I never really abused it but I stripped its finish long ago and neglected it for long periods. I thought it sounded awesome before, but man, it's like it woke up and crowed the National Anthem! Still looks like you could get tetanus from it, but looks less extreme in regular lighting:

Ludwig Standard cleaned up.JPG

Just spotted an area I have to touch up with teak oil, too. Thank you, too-bright iPhone flash. I know that every drummer on here has 7 or 8 vintage Ludwig snares that expresses their personalities as a musician best for every gig, along with about 20 different snares that are just as cool, but I really think I hit it out of the park with my first and only snare, and everything else I would ever get is going to sit on the shelf, especially now that I know to keep the hoops clean. I suppose I need a backup, but that's about it. But I'll be quite happy to wake up to these freshly cleaned rims, and defile it for a couple hours with my CB700's and intermediate-but-getting-better playing.

It's funny, and you'll appreciate this, but I deliberately avoid cleaning the metal parts of my guitar. I love the patina.

But with drums, I want those suckers nice and shiny! I actually keep a rag tied around the mantle that I use to wipe down the hoops and lugs and cymbals and such.

a little bit of .0000 steel wool takes care of the shells and rims of my 63 Supraphonics...about once a year.

might do that this coming week now that I think about it

I just throw them in the dishwasher.
No muss ,no fuss.

JimmyM...youve created a monster!..im thrilled right along with you. I'm ecstatic that you love your new sound.
Thx Bozo! Still sounds just as vibrant today as it did yesterday. Wish cleaning the rims had helped those CB700 toms like it did this snare.

That’s different then.
Well dang, Bo...now you got me thinking about a future upgrade. I didn't want to spend vintage money on new hoops, nor do I want to change the sound in any way unless it's an obvious positive. But there are some dents in the rims. There might have been a dropping incident or two along the way, but the drum stays in tune and the heads make solid contact with the bearing edges.

There might have been a dropping incident or two along the way, but the drum stays in tune and the heads make solid contact with the bearing edges.
Here's a simple test to see if a hoop needs replacing:

Take the hoop off the drum. Put a head all the way in the hoop in question, and hold the head in with your fingers so gravity can't make it drop. Hold the hoop out in front of you, hoop up, head down and let go of the head, but not the hoop.

If the head falls out, great.

If the head is all the way in the hoop, and the hoop holds on to the head, replace the hoop.

Sounds like how I'd describe my Legacy snare drum - though mine came with brand-new, flanged hoops. Seems the sealing of the hoop really does affect the sound.
I'd try some lacquer on the shell. That said, I'm a total pragmatist when it comes to drum finishing, to the point that I actually prefer wraps! So please take my words with a grain of salt.

Here's a simple test to see if a hoop needs replacing:

Take the hoop off the drum. Put a head all the way in the hoop in question, and hold the head in with your fingers so gravity can't make it drop. Hold the hoop out in front of you, hoop up, head down and let go of the head, but not the hoop.

If the head falls out, great.

If the head is all the way in the hoop, and the hoop holds on to the head, replace the hoop.
OK, looks like I'm set then. Had that happen many times unintentionally.

Sounds like how I'd describe my Legacy snare drum - though mine came with brand-new, flanged hoops. Seems the sealing of the hoop really does affect the sound.
I'd try some lacquer on the shell. That said, I'm a total pragmatist when it comes to drum finishing, to the point that I actually prefer wraps! So please take my words with a grain of salt.
I'm too paranoid to spray lacquer. Thought about doing a water based clear, but I'm quite happy with the teak oil, the way it busts out that birdseye. Wonder why they'd have covered that drum with a Duco finish, the way that maple looks.

Wonder why they'd have covered that drum with a Duco finish, the way that maple looks.
I guess back then they didn't select the wood for its natural patterning before finishing. I've got a Ludwig tom with some beautifully figured maple on the supporting rings, covered under Granitone, only revealed as I got its edges re-cut!

Thx Bozo! Still sounds just as vibrant today as it did yesterday. Wish cleaning the rims had helped those CB700 toms like it did this snare.

Well dang, Bo...now you got me thinking about a future upgrade. I didn't want to spend vintage money on new hoops, nor do I want to change the sound in any way unless it's an obvious positive. But there are some dents in the rims. There might have been a dropping incident or two along the way, but the drum stays in tune and the heads make solid contact with the bearing edges.
New hoops are cheap. Maybe they’ll sound even better?

Don't mind me; after playing today, I wiped down my drums and then covered the kit with a tarp.

You guys are going to send me over the edge of sanity at some point...

Back