Choosing a Ludwig Kit

toonamike

I've had a Yamaha electronic kit for the past few years. I'm finally ready to get a new acoustic kit. I need some flexibility to create different types of kits for different situations, so I was going to go 10/12/13/14/16/22.

I definitely want to go with Ludwig, but I'm having trouble deciding which series to buy.

Originally, I was intrigued by the (not yet shipping) Neusonic drums. The price is great, but, the more I look at it, the less I like it.

I started to look at the Keystone X series. It would cost me about $700 more than the Neusonics to buy all six drums. I spoke with a friend; he owns at least six different Ludwig kits. He has a Keystone and told me that it is not as versatile as the classic maple series. Mostly, it's just too in your face loud. He's only used his twice.

I hadn't considered classic maple. I know it will cost me a lot more.

What are your thoughts? Is classic maple worth the additional cost? This will more than likely be the last set I purchase.

Whatever I would pick, I wouldn't be all that concerned with the price. If the one I really wanted was pricy then I would wait and save up.

I already regret my purchase and I'm ready to upgrade.

Whatever I would pick, I wouldn't be all that concerned with the price. If the one I really wanted was pricy then I would wait and save up.

I already regret my purchase and I'm ready to upgrade.

That's my fear. I don't want to go cheap now and regret the decision later. I'm pretty sure that the classic maple series will continue, which will give me the ability to add on down the road.

I'm not sure the same can be said for Neusonic.

That's my fear. I don't want to go cheap now and regret the decision later. I'm pretty sure that the classic maple series will continue, which will give me the ability to add on down the road.

I'm not sure the same can be said for Neusonic.

Have you played on any of your friends ludwig sets to see what you do and don’t like about them? I owned a set of Classic Maples and you really can’t go wrong with those. If it’s the ludwig sound you like, they’re the benchmark for that sound.

Have you played on any of your friends ludwig sets to see what you do and don’t like about them? I owned a set of Classic Maples and you really can’t go wrong with those. If it’s the ludwig sound you like, they’re the benchmark for that sound.

I'd love to play his sets, but he's about a seven hour drive from me.

My first set was a mid-1960s Super Classic that had been stored packed away in an attic for years until I got it in 1986. It was sparkling pink champagne. Because I was a stupid kid, I sold that set to get giant Rocker set a few years later.

I know that Super Classic was mahogany / poplar / mahogany, but I'm not going to go crazy and order a Legacy set.

Hearing recordings of the classic maple series certainly makes me think of my Super Classic.

Like they say, "Buy once... cry once!" Go for the Classic Maples.

So, what kind of a sound are you looking for? What will these drums be used for?

The Club Date series sounds great - sort of a Legacy (vintage) sound on a budget.

The Classic Maples are versatile, modern sounding drums.

The Legacy drums are pricey, vintage sounding drums on steroids.

So, what kind of a sound are you looking for? What will these drums be used for?
I could probably find some big band, rock/pop and theater gigs pretty easily.

The Club Date series sounds great - sort of a Legacy (vintage) sound on a budget.
My high school had a Club Date set when I was a student. Now that I teach there, I wish we still had it.

The Classic Maples are versatile, modern sounding drums.
I like the word versatile.

The Legacy drums are pricey, vintage sounding drums on steroids.
I really don't want to spend that kind of money.

I had new Club Dates the new one's built in Monroe NC. I didn't like them. They were not very musical and choked out at higher tunings. I'd look at Keystones or Classic Maple.

Then it sounds like you've talked yourself into Classic Maples. TBH - I've never played any of the other lines. But since the Classic Maples for me have been very versatile, I can only assume the Legacy drums would be more of the same - but you already said you don't want t spend that kind of money.

If you order a new wrapped Classic Maple kit, Ludwig is boasting that they can get it to you within a month (much like Pearl does with it's Music City Custom line), so at least you own't have to wait very long if you ordered a new one that no one has in stock.

I ordered a Beatles Super Classic from Sweetwater and that kit arrived in three days - Classic Maple goodness all the way around!

What are your thoughts? Is classic maple worth the additional cost? This will more than likely be the last set I purchase.

Last set? If it's not a heavy financial burden, get the Classic Maples and be done with it.

The oak/maple/oak of the Keystone X series interests me, but I haven't tried them. Supposedly oaks are louder.

I had new Club Dates the new one's built in Monroe NC. I didn't like them. They were not very musical and choked out at higher tunings. I'd look at Keystones or Classic Maple.

Did you have the brand new version of these drums that are 5 ply maple/poplar?

The oak/maple/oak of the Keystone X series interests me, but I haven't tried them. Supposedly oaks are louder.

That's what my friend told me. He plays live music in the Louisville, KY area. He used the Keystones twice before realizing they were too loud for many situations.

That's what my friend told me. He plays live music in the Louisville, KY area. He used the Keystones twice before realizing they were too loud for many situations.

I’ve played one some keystones and they are definitely suited for live gigs. They open up when you lay into them, but they lack the warmth of the maples especially at lower volumes. On another note, I grew up in Louisville, KY.

I spotted that the OP toonamike is in Pennsylvania. I’d actually take a trip over to Harrisburg and go to Dale’s Drums. They have an amazing store with a variety of Ludwig models. I was just there last Wednesday, and they had Classic Maples and Club Dates right down on the floor! I didn’t see any Legacy stuff, but they may have gotten one in. The staff are amazing, and will help you in your journey. If you go there in person, you can try out the Classic Maples and Club Dates instead of trying to compare videos online. Hope this can help.

OldReliable

I spotted that the OP toonamike is in Pennsylvania. I’d actually take a trip over to Harrisburg and go to Dale’s Drums.

I've talked with Rej at Dale's. I've heard good things from some of my local drummer friends. When I was getting quotes for Keystone X drums, Dale's was actually higher than my (very small) local Ludwig dealer.

I will probably make a trip there some Saturday. It's about a 2-1/2 hour drive for me.

Sweet! Rej is the best, he’s actually who I got my Club Dates from! Speaking of the Club Dates, how do you tune your drums? I’m curious because the Club Dates have a full round over edge which is better for more low to medium tuning. When you crank them up Be bop range, they can choke a little. They’re some of the fattest drums tuned Medium I’ve ever heard, and I’ve only got a downbeat kit!

Back