Choosing a Ludwig Kit

toonamike

I'm going Classic Maple. I'm getting a FAB 3 piece shell pack. The dealer has it in stock. The shells have the large classic lugs.

I'm ordering add-ons in 7x10, 8x12 and 14x14. I want the 14" floor tom to have the large classic lugs.

Should I go mini classic on the small rack toms? I know that used to be the way Ludwig did it for a period of time.

Is that practice still the norm?

Is there any benefit to having large classic lugs on every drum?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'm not sure large classics will fit on the 7" deep drum...they're already going to be pretty close together on the 8x12.

Personally, I'd go for large classics on the 12" and small classics on the 10".

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I'd go for the small classics on both of those rack toms. Having owned a 12" Classic Maple with the large lugs, it didn't look nearly as nice as the smaller lugs on that drum. My $.02.

el roso

That said, I have a Classic Maple kit and IMO the large classic lugs are too big for an 8" deep tom.

If I bought my 12x8 again I would get the mini-lugs. Large lugs are good on my 13x9 though.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If I'm not mistaken, the Ludwig Centennials use the same shells as classic maples, but come with VERY limited shell configurations and cheaper hardware.

I bought a set for a steal about a year ago, and I love them.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I found a few images that might be helpful.

Here is a kit with the large lugs on the 13 and the small lugs on the 12:

Here's another with large lugs on both the 13 and the 12:

And even though I'm not sure this would be an option, here is a kit with the entire 10 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 16 tom set up, all with small lugs:

toonamike

Well, I pulled the trigger.

I ordered a 3 pc. Classic Maple FAB shell pack (13/16/22) in turquoise glitter. Sweetwater threw in a 6.5 x 14 matching CM snare drum.

I added 7x10 and 8x12 rack toms and a 14x14 floor tom. Ludwig estimates 2 to 2-1/2 months for delivery of the additional drums. I don't know how accurate Ludwig's estimates are.

Thanks to the information above, I ordered the two smaller rack toms with the mini classic lugs.

I'll post pictures when the shell pack arrives and once the set is complete.

Thank you to all who chimed in on this thread!

Last edited:

incrementalg

Gold Member
Well, I pulled the trigger.

I ordered a 3 pc. Classic Maple FAB shell pack (13/16/22) in turquoise glitter. Sweetwater threw in a 6.5 x 14 matching CM snare drum.

I added 7x10 and 8x12 rack toms and a 14x14 floor tom. Ludwig estimates 2 to 2-1/2 months for delivery of the additional drums. I don't know how accurate Ludwig's estimates are.

Thanks to the information above, I ordered the two smaller rack toms with the mini classic lugs.

I'll post pictures when the shell pack arrives and once the set is complete.

Thank you to all who chimed in on this thread!
That’s going to be a nice setup! As an owner of a set of Gretsch turquoise sparkle, I like your color choice.