China/Trash Cymbals - what for ?

some uses that stand out to me...

Neil Peart(RUSH) on Spirit Of The Radio

Baard Kolstadt(Leperous) on The Sky Is Red(see the drum play-through on youtube)

Gary Mallaber(Steve Miller Band) on Rockin' Me Baby

Gavin Harrison(Porcupine Tree) on Way Out Of Here(see the live version recorded in Tilberg)

I think of chinas as a fast decay complex sound envelope cymbal.

I started to really enjoy my wuhan once I became aware of a lighter touch showing more color from it.

Last edited:
Couldn't imagine playing without a china at this point. Not to overuse it either, but you can't really play metal (in my opinion) without adding some china effects, spice up the punctuations, when a crash just don't cut it, or just to add some more flavor... But I guess it all depends on your music style. I have two (18" Paiste Rude Novo and 20" Paiste 2002 Novo), but want at least one more, maybe a 18" Meinl Pure Alloy or a Meinl Classics Custom Dark.... Not sure yet. Not completely satisfied with the ones I have, want something a bit more dry/trashy. The ones I have are more on the harsh/abrasive side.

Last edited:
I have a great 24ish" Wuhan which is very old that I play more like a swish knocker. Big dark and trashy. I also have a 20" Rude China.

I'd love to use em more but the gigs I do don't call for it.

Looking on Zildjian's website, they have a terrible selection of chinas w/ their current lineup...and they invented it. Didn't know they got rid of the classic oriental either and have no 22 sizes, the swish and pangs are long gone.

But here is a cool one-off:

Reactions: iCe
I am always on the lookout for cymbals to add to my lineup. When I hear the sound of the China models, I wonder why they would be incorporated into a kit setup. Yet companies like Zildjian make a few different sizes and models. Anybody use them?
Some of them can be incorporated as accent cymbals instead of the hi hats (for example in the song Phisical Education by Animals as leaders). I recommend watching the cover of it by Tarn Softwhip because it allows you to hear and see the drums which is what we like here. The song uses both China and a stack for the accents, there is no singing/growling and I don't really consider it to be metal even though the band is considered metal as an example their song Cafo.

I recently got a Paiste PST7 China 14" (technically a "mini" china I think) - I love the sound of it!

However, its not loud enough when jamming with my band, so I'm now on the look out for a larger china.

I should have thought about this before buying the 14" , but I wasn't sure if I'd like it and it was quite cheap.
if you want cheap but yet very good try Wuhan, they are very loud and so affordable that if you decide you don't like it it will not be too bad.

Never liked the sound. Had a Zildjain Swish back in the day and a Paiste China more recently. Both were short lived. That said, for a trashy sound I like stacks.

Couldn't imagine playing without a china at this point. Not to overuse it either, but you can't really play metal (in my opinion) without adding some china effects, spice up the punctuations, when a crash just don't cut it, or just to add some more flavor... But I guess it all depends on your music style. I have two (18" Paiste Rude Novo and 20" Paiste 2002 Novo), but want at least one more, maybe a 18" Meinl Pure Alloy or a Meinl Classics Custom Dark.... Not sure yet. Not completely satisfied with the ones I have, want something a bit more dry/trashy. The ones I have are more on the harsh/abrasive side.

A china would be a must for me for all but a short list of music styles. If not a china then something else dry and trashy like an O-Zone (for bright) or extra dry crash (for darker).

I've had some over the years and used them when I thought appropriate but sooner or later always ditched them. Today when I think about a china I think dude..do you never learn?

My Paiste Masters Swish is probably my prettiest sounding cymbal. It’s great for an alternate ride sound and the crash is an oddly beautiful soft, ocean wave meets slightest hint of trash type of thing.

So a polluted-ocean crash sound. Just when I thought we'd run out of cymbal types, we might have stumbled onto something marketable.

It’s that 4 miles of SoCal beach that was just closed due to umpteen millions of gallons of raw sewage spilling out from the treatment plant sound! Yeah, that’ll market quite nicely. Hehehe…

China/Trash Cymbals - what for ?

One of my favorite sounds in a song or drum solo is a well placed china accent. One of my least favorite is riding on a china, unless it's some kind of syncopation. But china on every One Two Three Four . . . . blah! Use a stack.

Back