Breaking News: World's Most Famous Drummer Travis Barker Injures Finger Ahead of Mega-Tour

Being involved with a Kardashian is so antithetical to the Punk ethos it’s comical.

It’s like how unrelated the notion of “worlds best drummers” is with playing with next to zero dynamics and drums fills that excite middle schoolers.
Not really a fan of his playing, but he does have a few parts where he makes ample use of ghost notes and fluid dynamics.
One example here:

he smashed his fingers open and got blood everywhere after the manchester UK 1st show, i was barrier for the show and they showed it on camera.

he smashed his fingers open and got blood everywhere after the manchester UK 1st show, i was barrier for the show and they showed it on camera.
Well, that definitely puts him in the top 10.

😂

I don't know.... Wait... I do know or I can take a good guess as of why a lot of drummers feel the need to beat their drums like they owe them money... I'm pretty sure it was them seeing drummers like Keith Moon beating their drums and thinking "Hey, that looks bad ass". For me it was Tommy Lee (yes that Tommy Lee not Tommy Lee Jones the actor). His playing seemed very energetic and it looked like he was beating the drums very hard but he wasn't. He was just moving in a way that simulated that, and from the audience perspective it was very visually appealing. He managed to take rock drummers out of the background. I learned early on that I didn't need to hurt myself (or break my gear) by using unnecessary force, plus it saves you a lot of energy. (work smarter not harder).
I would think a "professional" touring drummer would have learned this a long time ago but, other professional drummers (read Eloy Casagrande) also bash super hard when it is not needed. I'm not taking any talent away from them, and of course as musicians they have been very successful, I just wish their fame didn't negatively influence other drummers and lead to lots of injuries... Yes as good as Eloy is, he has terrible technique.

Not the greatest, "Most Famous" which is not the same. Lars Ulrich is famous, Neil Peart was great.
According to Blabbermouth.net, "Travis Barker is celebrated as one of the greatest drummers of all time."

However, I'm not going to argue with your example!

I agree, still they have no problem writing 'one of the greatest of all time', that's what I was commenting on. Someone will read it, and believe it too.

i don't know every b182 song but of all the ones i do and have seen, not sure why this guy gets any publicity at all. just another 4/4 drummer with some creativity but nothing special. for the fans, no dig, just never was impressed. people seem to go wild for his solos and yet i think he falls into the same fallacy so many drummers do- a mishmash of crap. if to drum solo, you need to make it musical in some way. peter criss- tribal, peart- scored like a song. hard thing to do but just as easy imo. think the goal is to get the crowd clappin and toe tappin', not a showcase of a bunch of mismatched chops and fills

i don't know every b182 song but of all the ones i do and have seen, not sure why this guy gets any publicity at all. just another 4/4 drummer with some creativity but nothing special. for the fans, no dig, just never was impressed. people seem to go wild for his solos and yet i think he falls into the same fallacy so many drummers do- a mishmash of crap. if to drum solo, you need to make it musical in some way. peter criss- tribal, peart- scored like a song. hard thing to do but just as easy imo. think the goal is to get the crowd clappin and toe tappin', not a showcase of a bunch of mismatched chops and fills
Agree completely. a lot of drummers are way overrated because the bands they play got some popularity. .. cough- Taylor Hawkins - cough, Joey Jordison being another example. He had some good parts but in general he was a very middle of the line drummer, any death metal guy would mop the floor with him.
Now Travis Barker doesn't play anything special and his technique is atrocious so really I don't see what the appeal is. Also very rarely do I enjoy a drum solo, and for that matter a drum solo should never be longer than 30 seconds to a minute otherwise it just gets boring.

The 1st band I joined after a 15 year absence wanted a solo and I tried several extended things. Then settled back to 2 short versions in 2 different songs. The 2nd band also did one of those songs. Same short version just as short as the recorded version. I never really got that comfortable with extended solos.
When I started at jams I couldn't do the moves from before quitting. Eventually, a couple things made a few non-musician people comment that it made them notice. Singing or playing bass had the same effect on them though. Seems that there's just as much mileage available for being multi-instrumemtal as there is at increasing chops at drums. Drums take more work at my stage of play.

Agree completely. a lot of drummers are way overrated because the bands they play got some popularity. .. cough- Taylor Hawkins - cough, Joey Jordison being another example. He had some good parts but in general he was a very middle of the line drummer, any death metal guy would mop the floor with him.
Now Travis Barker doesn't play anything special and his technique is atrocious so really I don't see what the appeal is. Also very rarely do I enjoy a drum solo, and for that matter a drum solo should never be longer than 30 seconds to a minute otherwise it just gets boring.

<cough> - Bonham - <cough>
{dons raincoat to avoid s%*t storm}

but yeah, he is definitely an example of off stage antics/image "uber alles"; he was a good "gateway" for many kids - many of my students started with him, but then got a bigger picture as we dove way deeper under the mainstream for better players.

Back