Breaking News: World's Most Famous Drummer Travis Barker Injures Finger Ahead of Mega-Tour

Have you watched this guy play? I've seen meth'd out Florida roofers hammering nails with less intensity. I totally understand "passionate" playing but this guy is a textbook basher. Every time a newer player posts about constantly cracking cymbals we could just put a video of Travis Barker and say "don't do THIS and you'll be fine" (coincidentally, most of those threads start off with "I'm new to drums, I really like Travis Barker").
Im fascinated how someone can play so good and at the same time be such a basher.
If he smashes tail like he smashes his snare it's no wonder how he landed a Kardashian.
Omg 🤣🤣🤣

Im fascinated how someone can play so good and at the same time be such a basher.

Omg 🤣🤣🤣
I agree. It's legitimately aggravating to me, and I guess a backhanded compliment, that he can be so solid and consistent and have such ongoing endurance while playing like that.

Travis is a good player who's earned some recognition. Honestly, I'd forgotten about him marrying a Kardashian until I read the story.
But world's most famous? I'm guessing the OP's tongue is firmly planted in cheek.

Nevermind asking a drummer to list a dozen famous drummers, I'm sure Travis would not be anywhere on that list and certainly not close to the top of it. But ask someone on the street, and people of most ages would be more likely to name Tommy Lee, Ringo, Buddy Rich, probably Charlie Watts, maybe even Alex Van Halen. But the idea that Travis Barker is anywhere near "world's most famous" really burns me up... irony/pun intended!

Why do I get the impression that he does not practice daily?(or weekly...but in surges)
There was another picture from him from before where he basically shredded all the skin of his fingers drumming. I don't know about the rest of you but for me it was a small callus in the index fingers, but never did my hands bled (not from the sticks at least). I did hit a cymbal edge once and got a little cut... to me someone doing that is an indicator of poor technique. Considering he has a marching band background that is hard to understand...

Have you watched this guy play? I've seen meth'd out Florida roofers hammering nails with less intensity. I totally understand "passionate" playing but this guy is a textbook basher. Every time a newer player posts about constantly cracking cymbals we could just put a video of Travis Barker and say "don't do THIS and you'll be fine" (coincidentally, most of those threads start off with "I'm new to drums, I really like Travis Barker").

And before I get a bunch of PM's and negative reaction scores and post replies about how I'm a weekend warrior who will never live up to a famed pro so how can I talk.. I get it. He is popular. He is multi faceted. He is actually talented. I really enjoy several Blink albums and the transplants were pretty cool too.

He just hits his drums like a roid raging guerilla.

If he smashes tail like he smashes his snare it's no wonder how he landed a Kardashian.
Forgot to mention Eloy Casagrande, Famous for hitting really hard.
A long time ago... in a galaxy far far away..... wait no! A long time ago, someone demonstrated to me how you can hit with the same volume by just using your wrist vs a full arm motion. I believe he was telling about not needing to hit that hard. Then I was reading about this guitar player being able to play this really complex things at a speed due to his "economy of movement" I took that and meshed both (I used to play in a band that required very fast fills and a lot of stamina)... both of those were necessary in order to be able to play a full set without running out of gas...
At the same time, I saw Tommy Lee (yes Pamela's husband) and I thought the way he played, it looked so badass, so I also incorporated that, so now having economy of movement, mostly using my wrists, but occasionally the Tommy Lee approach (Pretending to hit the drums really hard but in reality hitting with normal force). That has prevented me from getting injured and has gotten me some compliments because it just looks like I play very relaxed.

Travis is a good player who's earned some recognition. Honestly, I'd forgotten about him marrying a Kardashian until I read the story.
But world's most famous? I'm guessing the OP's tongue is firmly planted in cheek.

Nevermind asking a drummer to list a dozen famous drummers, I'm sure Travis would not be anywhere on that list and certainly not close to the top of it. But ask someone on the street, and people of most ages would be more likely to name Tommy Lee, Ringo, Buddy Rich, probably Charlie Watts, maybe even Alex Van Halen. But the idea that Travis Barker is anywhere near "world's most famous" really burns me up... irony/pun intended!
But famous for non drummer people doesn't necessarily mean highly skilled, it just means commercially known. Some people think Justin Bieber can play drums...

Poor fella seems plagued with health issues and a bit fragile- I wish him well. I wonder what he thinks of all the Kardashian nonsense having married into it?

Have you watched this guy play? I've seen meth'd out Florida roofers hammering nails with less intensity.
Mike Bordin (Faith No More) for me. That dude looks like he is trying to turn drums into dust when he plays. I cant stand to watch him.

Are those other drummers you named on a top-rated TV with worldwide reach? Do they regularly appear in major magazines (People, Us, In Touch, etc.)? Do they play live concerts with contemporary stars like Machine Gun Kelly and Avril Lavigne? Are they the bandleader for the Grammys -- jamming with Carrie Underwood and Lenny Kravitz?

Are those other drummers you named on a top-rated TV with worldwide reach? Do they regularly appear in major magazines (People, Us, In Touch, etc.)? Do they play live concerts with contemporary stars like Machine Gun Kelly and Avril Lavigne? Are they the bandleader for the Grammys -- jamming with Carrie Underwood and Lenny Kravitz?

No on most of those counts, but all those drummers named are named because of their contributions to music history. They are not famous for being famous (all Kardashians for example). They are famous for creating great music and even developed an entire genre and being the true influencers of millions of drummers worldwide. Regularly appearing on magazines or a reality TV show does not trump having albums that have become classics and withstood the test of time.

I am forever irritated and disrespectful of those who get such opportunity but do not double down on the basics of regular practice.

He was pretty badly injured in a plane crash a few years back wasn't he? (Tyres burst on a Learjet which went off the end of the runway?)

I just dont see the big deal. He is married to a Kardashian. Tommy Lee was married to Pamela Anderdon AFTER Heather Locklear. Rick Ocasek was married to Paulina Porizkova. Rockstars marry famous sex symbols. It's pretty normal.

No on most of those counts, but all those drummers named are named because of their contributions to music history. They are not famous for being famous (all Kardashians for example). They are famous for creating great music and even developed an entire genre and being the true influencers of millions of drummers worldwide. Regularly appearing on magazines or a reality TV show does not trump having albums that have become classics and withstood the test of time.

Quality doesn’t enter it! Also, the median age is 31 — half the world is under 31. Nobody 31 and younger knows who Tommy Lee was.

20 years ago, he probably would have been on that list of drummers "popular with non drummers". Blink 182 was pretty relevant early in their career

Mike Bordin (Faith No More) for me. That dude looks like he is trying to turn drums into dust when he plays. I cant stand to watch him.

for me it is the guy for 21 Pilots...just awful. And Keith Moon....I just don't get the "magic" there either

Back