Best shuffles?

I've always loved this lurching, laid back version of this BB King classic Every Day I Have the Blues

https://youtu.be/C5xAznszSO8

There was an obscure live version of this that I used to have (but can't find anymore) which was even better, it hung behind the beat just a touch more than the version above.

Another thing about the shuffle....and this probably applies across the board...you could be able to play a great shuffle, and that is so important, but if the rest of the band isn't versed in the style, it's not going to work like it should. I could say the same thing about dynamics. They are both a team effort.

You could say that about bowling too.

Danny, jazz shuffle with a solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiesDcZVP_k

I would say this qualifies ???

https://youtu.be/e5i_y_ItAnQ

"Freeway Jam" A shuffle beat fits this. So technically I suppose it could be called it a shuffle.

I don't think of this as a shuffle.

Others might though and they wouldn't be wrong.

When I think of a shuffle, something like "Pride and Joy" comes to mind.

Or "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac.

Lewis Taylor is one of the biggest and most underrated losses to the music industry that ever happened; outstanding musician. I believe he's still doing something to do with music but he's not performing anymore. I'm still a huge fan of his. Saw him with Ash at the London Jazz Cafe in Camden years ago, seriously one of the best gigs I've ever been to. He was born and bred in the same part of north london as me as it happens.

Absolutely agree. I've got tons of Lewis' stuff, rarities, bootlegs. Have you ever heard his version of Heart of the Sunrise? It's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Ash, ushered me into the drum room after everyone had gone and showed me all these rare clips of him and Lewis. He said, 'He'd kill me if he knew I had all this.' Then I played him a live bootleg of Lewis and band performing a version of Funkadelic's Hit It and Quit It. Ash said, 'Bloody hell. I haven't heard this since the day we performed it!' I sent it to him.

Did you know that Lewis came out of the woodwork to agree to an interview not that long ago? He said he's not doing anything to do with music at all. I'll send you the link if you haven't read it.

Absolutely agree. I've got tons of Lewis' stuff, rarities, bootlegs. Have you ever heard his version of Heart of the Sunrise? It's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Ash, ushered me into the drum room after everyone had gone and showed me all these rare clips of him and Lewis. He said, 'He'd kill me if he knew I had all this.' Then I played him a live bootleg of Lewis and band performing a version of Funkadelic's Hit It and Quit It. Ash said, 'Bloody hell. I haven't heard this since the day we performed it!' I sent it to him.

Did you know that Lewis came out of the woodwork to agree to an interview not that long ago? He said he's not doing anything to do with music at all. I'll send you the link if you haven't read it.

Very cool mate, you've heard way more Lewis material than I have! And awesome you got to chat with Ash. Yes I'd love to hear that interview if you could pm it to me, and I don't know Heart of the Sunrise but would dig to hear it. Most of his music isn't on YouTube anymore and it's a shame he won't perform anymore, I'm guessing he had too many disappointments. He never quite made it which is sad with such a prodigious talent.

Always loved his version of 18 with a bullet.
https://youtu.be/9aGhlWkUWIA

Thats so cool Hawk! Great story thanks for sharing.

Oh, yeah, I love his stuff. I've also managed to get hold of his Trout Mask Replica tribute as well. The last thing he did was a couple of songs on an album by The Vicar, which I think was a Robert Fripp side project. He was certainly getting slightly more edgy when he decided to disappear.

Here's the link for the interview (it's a print interview, or whatever they call it when it's online):

http://souljones.com/exclusive-featu...s-lewis-taylor

He has started to leave the odd youtube clip up of late. He must have mellowed because he always took them down before. Here he is on the Jools Holland show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EHsLiJP2qg

Last edited:
Help me out here. I thought a shuffle was swung, with ghost notes and kicks trading off. But some of these I don't hear that, like Green Onions for example. How does one specifically define a shuffle?

Also, would Rag Doll by Aerosmith be a shuffle? How about Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue? Or is that considered a train beat?

Help me out here. I thought a shuffle was swung, with ghost notes and kicks trading off. But some of these I don't hear that, like Green Onions for example. How does one specifically define a shuffle?

Also, would Rag Doll by Aerosmith be a shuffle? How about Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue? Or is that considered a train beat?

A shuffle is where the feel is in 6 or 12 rather than in four, and the music emphasizes the a-one, a-two feel (notated on the hi-hat in this example):

400px-Shuffle_feel_simple.png

The most simple shuffle feel is this figure on the hats with four-on-the-floor and snare on 2 and 4, as in "Green Onions". If the middle triplet is played it is ghosted.

While any song in four could technically be made into a shuffle, "Kickstart" is not one as originally played. The feel is straight fours. "Rag Doll" could be played straight fours or shuffled, depending on the overall style you wanted to play it. As originally played, it's a half-time shuffle.

A shuffle is where the feel is in 6 or 12 rather than in four, and the music emphasizes the a-one, a-two feel (notated on the hi-hat in this example):

400px-Shuffle_feel_simple.png

The most simple shuffle feel is this figure on the hats with four-on-the-floor and snare on 2 and 4, as in "Green Onions". If the middle triplet is played it is ghosted.

While any song in four could technically be made into a shuffle, "Kickstart" is not one as originally played. The feel is straight fours. "Rag Doll" could be played straight fours or shuffled, depending on the overall style you wanted to play it. As originally played, it's a half-time shuffle.

Ahh, thank you! I think I get it. It counts like 4, but feels like 6 or 12. Is this what defines the shuffle?

Ahh, thank you! I think I get it. It counts like 4, but feels like 6 or 12. Is this what defines the shuffle?

The ah-1, ah-2, ah-1, ah-2 feel that is notated makes a shuffle feel like a shuffle. The lilt and emphasis on that feel makes a shuffle. That's the key.

Back