Drilling bass drum for tom holder

fess

I have a Gretsch Brooklyn 22x14 bass drum. I want to add a double Tom holder to it. Would anyone know how many inches the hole should be drilled in relation to the batter edge, or reso edge?
Thanks

If measuring from the batter to reso I would say roughly at the 9" mark, not set so far near the reso side that the hoops may hit it but not set so far near the batter that your toms are too close. I don't know the 'official' measurement but this is a rough ballpark based off the average placement I've come across. You could possibly email gretsch and they may be able to give more specifics.

I have a Gretsch Brooklyn 22x14 bass drum. I want to add a double Tom holder to it. Would anyone know how many inches the hole should be drilled in relation to the batter edge, or reso edge?
Thanks
If you currently have your toms on stands over the kick and are happy with their placement, I would mark the position of the tom holder based on that. If you use a number, they may be too far forward or backward.

I would also procure the tom holder first so you can see exactly how it needs to fit with the toms.

If you currently have your toms on stands over the kick and are happy with their placement, I would mark the position of the tom holder based on that. If you use a number, they may be too far forward or backward.

I would also procure the tom holder first so you can see exactly how it needs to fit with the toms.
Also once the spot is found trace around the diameter of the pipe on the shell and use that to find the middle point. I've seen people not account for the diameter of the pipe itself and what started off as a straight hole became a crooked mount.

......5" .....distance center of post hole..... forward to frt. reso edge..... 5"
badge/airvent (behind is 4" +/- to batter edge (is your badge vent hole there?)

14x18 usac factory install
front two bolts of holder plate align with front lugs back screws : )sort of; a little ahead;

001.JPG002.JPG

^^^ badge/airvent (behind is 4" +/- to batter edge (is your badge vent hole there?)

003.JPG004.JPG

:D 5" front edge to center of post 'ole
14X18 usa factory bass

Last edited:
Also once the spot is found trace around the diameter of the pipe on the shell and use that to find the middle point. I've seen people not account for the diameter of the pipe itself and what started off as a straight hole became a crooked mount.
I'm thinking just set the thing on the drum and move it to where it needs to go then mark. But yes, absolutely, the pipe diameter and everything coming off it needs to be accounted for.

One thing I discovered recently.. I have a set of Mapex Pro Ms that I've used from time time over the years either for practice or gigging. They always sound great..
In any case - I never noticed it before - but it is a virgin kick - with a clever double tom mount that sits on top of the kick.
The mount attaches at the two lugs on the front head and sits on small rubber feet on top of the wood in the middle of the kick.
It is solid as a rock.. which is probably why I never noticed it was never drilled.
It's a good alternative to saw dust!
I really like using 2 spike mounted stand with one supporting a straight up small crash cymbal.. no adjustments needed for setup. And I can position the toms exactly where I want. THe other advantage of keeping it virgin - is it slides easily into a drum case.. like whoosh! no tom mount to catch on anything.
I'll leave the debate about whether the sound is better on a virgin kick to other threads Lol..
But mark me down for keeping it without holes..

I added tom mounts to my last two Mapex Saturn kits. In both cases I grew weary of mounting a tom from a stand. Peace and goodwill.

100_0511.JPG100_0582.JPG

......5" .....distance center of post hole..... forward to frt. reso edge..... 5"
badge/airvent (behind is 4" +/- to batter edge (is your badge vent hole there?)

14x18 usac factory install
front two bolts of holder plate align with front lugs back screws : )sort of; a little ahead;

View attachment 126971View attachment 126972

^^^ badge/airvent (behind is 4" +/- to batter edge (is your badge vent hole there?)

View attachment 126973View attachment 126974

:D 5" front edge to center of post 'ole
14X18 usa factory bass
Apparently Gretsch isn't very consistent in this regard. My 14" deep x18" bass drum has the tom post pretty much centered with the reso-side lugs. Which means @fess you can probably just go with whatever feels right to you.

1668727831093.jpeg

Apparently Gretsch isn't very consistent in this regard. My 14" deep x18" bass drum has the tom post pretty much centered with the reso-side lugs. Which means @fess you can probably just go with whatever feels right to you.

View attachment 126978
what happened to the original Claws

yea they must have changed it later on

pushed it forward

that's way newer than mine

newer.
Dang; even my modern stuff is old school lol

Last edited:
what happened to the original Claws

yea they must have changed it later on

pushed it forward

that's way newer than mine

newer.
Dang; even my modern stuff is old school lol
That bass drum is a Renown, so the claws are different than USA Customs.

That bass drum is a Renown, so the claws are different than USA Customs.
well that is informative and yet it seems they did move the mount forward on the later say post 2015
USA drums see also my above links; mine are 1998-2003 era USA built

well that is informative and yet it seems they did move the mount forward on the later say post 2015
USA drums see also my above links; mine are 1998-2003 era USA built
Yeah, it looks like the tom post placement on those 18" USAs you linked to match the placement on my Renown. So apparently that's where they're putting it these days for 14" deep bass drums.

(some of those from google search weren't 18s) (were 22s 20s all...
So yes, there must of been a ... Shift : )

OP has a Brooklyn USA 22"
a google search would show where and which depending on base plate he uses Goes

from their webpage

GB-inset3.png

that may not be a 22"..

Last edited:
Back