Backing tracks

Drumquest2

I’m in a 5 piece band (lead singer,keyboard/guitar,lead guitar, bass player,drums.
We don’t use backing tracks but are losing work to duos and trios who do use backing tracks.

Keep music live, real musicians on stage, not a 10 piece band with only 3 players in sight!

I don’t like this trend either, but it’s either adapt or get left behind. If your an older musician who doesn’t have that many years left of your playing career, maybe you can take a hard stand against backing tracks, but if your younger and plan on playing for years to come, you have no option but to get on the train. As a side note, once the boomers are gone, I’m not sure there will be much live music. At the local level where I am, there aren’t many musicians under 60. At the high school where I work, the kids who call themselves “musicians”, just put together samples on their laptops. I’m more worried that’s the future than backing tracks.

...it’s either adapt or get left behind
Partly that, and partly try to understand that businesses are in business to make money, not keep bands employed for musicians' ethics reasons. A bar that hires a small group using a drum machine or backing tracks isn't getting rich from those savings... they're keeping their doors open.

Didn't bars & clubs pay for full bands in the past? Sure, and they may even have been paying the same as they do now. But part of that is because other expenses involved with simply staying open have gone up. how much can you raise prices to make up for that before customers stop coming in regularly? It's a fine line, and musician's who question/squawk too loudly don't get hired. Well, except for bands that measurably increase revenue on the nights they play, paying for themselves and making more money for the bar in the process. Those bands have somewhat more leverage.

I think most musicians would understand better if they opened a bar and started hiring bands. Would they go out-of-pocket for their fellow musicians? Not likely.

Partly that, and partly try to understand that businesses are in business to make money, not keep bands employed for musicians' ethics reasons. A bar that hires a small group using a drum machine or backing tracks isn't getting rich from those savings... they're keeping their doors open.

Didn't bars & clubs pay for full bands in the past? Sure, and they may even have been paying the same as they do now. But part of that is because other expenses involved with simply staying open have gone up. how much can you raise prices to make up for that before customers stop coming in regularly? It's a fine line, and musician's who question/squawk too loudly don't get hired. Well, except for bands that measurably increase revenue on the nights they play, paying for themselves and making more money for the bar in the process. Those bands have somewhat more leverage.

I think most musicians would understand better if they opened a bar and started hiring bands. Would they go out-of-pocket for their fellow musicians? Not likely.
Concur.

They’re not in business to further musician ethics. They’re in business to make money. I work semi-successfully as a solo-and-tracks artist because I’m able to fill a need for businesses that want something of live entertainment without having to deal with a big group of whiny musicians who are gonna drink the profits made at the bar. I’m also very on-board when places want bands and can contract musicians when I need them. I’m not going to suffer a desk job because I insist on always playing with a band. Any playing is better than no playing.

When our keyboardist decided to leave the band, we tried very hard to find another good keys player, but he set the bar very high.
After auditioning a couple people that were not even close to his talent, we just decided to use tracks. In a perfect world, I would prefer to have live players, but keeping our band a four piece certainly does make schedules easier to mange, and it also makes the pay better for everyone.

Keyboards on tracks are not quite so noticeable. Easier to "get away with." IMHO.

It's hard to argue with that logic, but when you factor in that they aren't doing all that great job at their primary mission. I mean it's one thing when they are making money and there is enough to go around, but when they are cutting their nose off to spite their face every night, a discussion of ethics may be warranted.

I mean I live near a dying downtown area, zero reason to go there any day of the week. None of the businesses are willing to shell out any money to be that one that attracts the business that makes anyone want to go near the downtown, and it would probably just attract homeless bums if they did.

I mean I live near a dying downtown area, zero reason to go there any day of the week. None of the businesses are willing to shell out any money to be that one that attracts the business that makes anyone want to go near the downtown

Would bringing in a live band, and paying them $400 be worth it? Would that band bring in an additional 20 people who spend $20 each? And if the band did bring in enough to cover their pay, that actually wouldn't be enough - the bar would still be 'out' the cost of the drinks/food/labor to serve those customers. They would still be losing money, not even breaking even. That's not how businesses stay in business.

So a place cannot survive, closes, and then bands have one less place available to play (regardless of the pay.) That's not good for anyone either.

Would bringing in a live band, and paying them $400 be worth it? Would that band bring in an additional 20 people who spend $20 each? And if the band did bring in enough to cover their pay, that actually wouldn't be enough - the bar would still be 'out' the cost of the drinks/food/labor to serve those customers. They would still be losing money, not even breaking even. That's not how businesses stay in business.

So a place cannot survive, closes, and then bands have one less place available to play (regardless of the pay.) That's not good for anyone either.
The point is there are vested interests in having the entertainment costs distributed across venues. Generally, the role of things like "blues societies", often supported by multiple venues bearing the cost of entertainment on infrequent basis. For example, a small restaurant near the performance venues may not have space for a band, but they benefit from the additional traffic, and can help to bring in bands, without bearing the entire cost of bands.

Essence of replies - backing tracks enable duos and trios to (questionably) charge less - my experience is they’re often getting the same money as 5 piece bands.
Often, I’ve had punters say to me how good it is to see a full band with an actual live drummer.
Technology might be helping club businesses survive but at what cost to opportunities for live musicians?!

The great eras of the 60s and 70s produced great musicians because their apprenticeships happened in pubs and clubs before technology (backing tracks) tempted businesses to book cheaper ? bands.

Future is not good for fledgling musicians.

The point is there are vested interests in having the entertainment costs distributed across venues. Generally, the role of things like "blues societies", often supported by multiple venues bearing the cost of entertainment on infrequent basis. For example, a small restaurant near the performance venues may not have space for a band, but they benefit from the additional traffic, and can help to bring in bands, without bearing the entire cost of bands.
An interesting concept, assuming that the bands' performance venue doesn't serve food (for example.) There would be no incentive for a nearby restaurant to fund a competitor's entertainment. Now if it was a street festival kind of event where the bands aren't tied to one venue, then the various businesses on that street are smart to contribute when asked.

This is such a tough time to be an "in the trenches" working musician. Obviously, it's never been easy, but adaptation and compromise seem to be the keys to survival. I'll agree with the sentiments that venues are in business to make money, and if hiring full bands doesn't make them money, then it only makes sense they'll look for alternatives. This is where the adaptation and compromise concepts come into play, at least in my little corner of the world (central valley/central coast of California).

There is a strong market for live music here, but not in the traditional sense. Post-COVID, loud bars and many other live music-specific venues are mostly a thing of the past. In their place now are wine bars, restaurants, country clubs, and other "fancy folk" businesses that want live music, but want it more palatable for their patrons. That usually means much quieter, with less instruments/players, and often crammed into a small corner of the venue. There are very few places that have music as a featured part of their vibe and that have set their space up to accommodate musicians/bands.

To carve out a place for myself in this new environment, I've had to redefine my entire approach. 90+% of my work now is in a duo format, with a keys/vox guy and myself on drums. We don't use backing tracks, which is part of the appeal of this particular outfit for me, but that also leaves the arrangements quite sparse. It's a trade off for sure - I'd love to have at least bass and guitar in most of the stuff we do, but the reality of my situation prevents that. Everyone's situation is unique to them, of course. Each of us has a limit as to what we will and won't do. If I drew a line that I'd only play with a full band here in my area, I simply wouldn't work very often. There aren't enough opportunities to.

Venues love the duo due to the smaller footprint and quieter presentation. Their patrons love the duo because we're still giving them rhythm, song structure and melody, which I believe are the key elements in the material we're playing. The patrons are able to sing along with songs they know, and the lack of full instrumentation allows us to sound different and "fresh". We still do offer full band services when the situation calls for it, but as we've become established with the duo outfit, most of the events we book ask specifically for the duo.

None of this is how I envisioned myself playing music in my 50's. Just last week, I played a duo gig with brushes and snare, due to lack of setup time and space constraints. As Bo mentioned above, any playing is better than not playing for me, so I'm happy to take all the "weird" gigs that come my way. If my duo guy came to me tomorrow and said we were gonna start using backing tracks to fill out the sound, I'd oblige and be thankful I'm still playing.

Last edited:
Judging by the responses, I feel extremely fortunate. Our band probably turns down more gigs than we book, probably due to close proximity to several wineries and breweries in the area. A good number of full band, live music venues have opened their doors just in the last couple of years. If you're a solid cover band in the Sacramento area, you'll have plenty of options for decent paying gigs.

That said, I have a good friend who does a solo acoustic thing for smaller more intimate venues, and he stays extremely busy.

Last edited:
Judging by the responses, I feel extremely fortunate. Our band probably turns down more gigs than we book, probably due to close proximity to several wineries and breweries in the area. A good number of full band, live music venues have opened their doors just in the last couple of years. If you're a solid cover band in the Sacramento area, you'll have plenty of options for decent paying gigs.

That said, I have a good friend who does a solo acoustic thing for smaller more intimate venues, and he stays extremely busy.
I'm in Sacramento too and feel similarly grateful and fortunate. We also have to turn down a lot of gigs. There are so many places to play in the area we could play 3 or 4 times a week if we wanted to.

That being said, we have a 5 piece band and still use tracks for some songs to cover keyboard parts or weird synth parts.

Reactions: RVC
I’m in a 5 piece band (lead singer,keyboard/guitar,lead guitar, bass player,drums.
We don’t use backing tracks but are losing work to duos and trios who do use backing tracks.

If the venue only requires a duo, then they don't need the band I'm currently in, and at the same time, I probably wouldn't want to play there anyways. Does anyone want a burning hot country band in a winery? I don't think so (not inside anyways). There's only one winery I currently play, and it's a once-a-year deal and we play outdoors.

Keep music live, real musicians on stage, not a 10 piece band with only 3 players in sight!

I agree! I think using tracks is more appropriate for some genres more than others. Some bands really walk a fine line between playing music and karaoke.

Essence of replies - backing tracks enable duos and trios to (questionably) charge less - my experience is they’re often getting the same money as 5 piece bands.
Often, I’ve had punters say to me how good it is to see a full band with an actual live drummer.
Technology might be helping club businesses survive but at what cost to opportunities for live musicians?!

The great eras of the 60s and 70s produced great musicians because their apprenticeships happened in pubs and clubs before technology (backing tracks) tempted businesses to book cheaper ? bands.

Future is not good for fledgling musicians.
A very good point. These bands are getting paid the same or slightly less locally so there's no net saving.

Tbh it's looking like this year or next will be my last year of playing. I've gone from our band doing 2-3 gigs per month to us post COVID and after a rebrand having about 6 gigs in for this year. Many of those pubs you thought would never close have closed, it's a fight to get the money needed to make hiring a pa and come home with enough in my pocket to make my wife not ask me why I bother and it's all becoming less fun. If I could turn back time I'd have taken guitar and singing lessons and would do gigs for £100-£350 happily with only my laptop for company.

I commented on a similar thread a while ago. I'm in a country cover band currently and we are a 3-piece. Our lead singer plays acoustic/electric guitar. The lead guitarist covers anything he can, including some of the steel guitar parts. And, I play drums and sing back up. We don't use tracks for any vocals so I have the liberty of singing whichever harmony is prominent and the guitars play and cover as much as they can. Bass guitar and other instruments are covered with tracks. Reason being, back in 2021 when we resumed gigging, our bass player at the time decided not to continue with the band. We decided to just go with a 3-piece at that point. In 2 1/2 years we've honestly been asked about the bass tracks, or lack of bass player, maybe 3 times. The audience in general just doesn't care and we're playing everything we're capable of covering on stage. Could we find a bass player? Probably. Do we need to? No. Could we find a steel guitar player, a fiddle player, and a percussionist? Not a chance and, if we could, it would cause scheduling nightmares at a minimum and divide the money up even more. So, we're very happy with our current lineup. Everything runs smooth and we get paid to play great music on the weekends that people enjoy. We've never been questioned or criticized for using tracks, even by other musicians.

Hmm...maybe I could be an entire 5 piece band all by myself... I'd keep all the money...get all the glory...get all the royalties...I can see it now...The Joedrum 5...minus 4🤔

This could work. I may need a lot of roadies though

Back