Any songs where you can play the notes, but getting the feel is still difficult?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
You ever play songs where you can play the notes but you struggle with the feel of the song?

Yes. But good feel comes last. I try to determine what it is that makes the part feel good and keep at it.

The first time I played Everybody Wants to Rule the World......it was an "either you have the feel or you don't" moment.

Working on a recording project now and one of the 12 songs we are writing is a classic country train beat style that I'm sure @PorkPieGuy is used to rocking in his band......just a solid snare shuffle both with kick and pedaling the hats and without.......artist quantized one of my takes and was like "sorry......totally screwed up the feel"......yup.....it is hard to make it swing if you snap it to the grid.

Some of Chris Layton's SRV shuffles were like that as well years ago.....playing the notes, but it was more about the notes being the guide and the feel being the real star of how you applied those notes to the song.......

Listen harder to the song and try and grab the emotion presented (played) by the other players
or -if there ain't any there- you're stuck 😁
just listen harder.

so no, there's always something no matter how little -there- somewhere..

😄 Our job is feeling. and execution <-not literally) 😄 don't murder it hard in any anger 😄
I mean if I had to play some Carpenter tunes I'd try and be respectful.
Can always find positive emotion in most things.

How's that for funny?.
You might want to maybe try and get inside the composers head

Last edited:
Listen harder to the song and try and grab the emotion presented (played) by the other players
or -if there ain't any there- you're stuck 😁
just listen harder.

so no, there's always something no matter how little -there- somewhere..

😄 Our job is feeling. and execution <-not literally) 😄 don't murder it hard in any anger 😄
I mean if I had to play some Carpenter tunes I'd try and be respectful.
Can always find positive emotion in most things.

How's that for funny?.
You might want to maybe get inside the composers head
Check out Hal Blaine on "We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters.....I've got respect for that mans playing.

Yes so why the question OP states; I assume it's an Original song maybe? and not a known song as everyone typed

Someone else's originals?
Yes. I can struggle with feel.

Go ahead Give an example.

Like for me, when I first started playing country music, I could play the notes with no issue. However, I was a rock drummer playing country music. I struggled with how to make it feel right.

Here’s another example. A lot of punk drum parts are the same notes as some fast gospel songs. However the approach is totally different even though the beat is very similar.

Like for me, when I first started playing country music, I could play the notes with no issue. However, I was a rock drummer playing country music. I struggled with how to make it feel right.
what did you find out (to rectify it) (pay was good? (kidding..I'm guessing
A lot of punk drum parts
punk when the way of the (home delivery milkman and rotary phone didn't it. What Punk.

I had to work hard to sound authentic playing country music when I first started. Basic four-on-the-floor required a different touch. Then there's the train beat. Soooooo many variations on how you can make that feel. And not all of them are good.

One song in particular I have struggled with (and it's not a country song!) is Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight.' Easy notes, challenging feel, especially if the band isn't feeling it just right.

it's time to go home now I got an aching head in slow hand 4

😁

what did you find out (to rectify it) (pay was good? (kidding..I'm guessing

punk when the way of the (home delivery milkman and rotary phone didn't it. What Punk.

It just took work and time to get the feel right. I think I’m getting the hang of it now, especially that country swing. Country music can be a finicky truck to drive.

As far as examples of punk vs gospel, here goes:

Go to 1:00 in:

Now listen to this:

Similar drum beat and bpm, but totally different approach.

Totally. One that really stands out to me is Hypocrites by Bob Marley. It's super simple and easy notation, but man is it hard to capture this feel for me. I've found on this and a few others that it helps to play the hat with all arm and stiff wrist for some reason

Back