Another Left Hand Query

It's OK, it's just not true.

1. Play Stick Control / Accents & Rebounds, play LH lead exercises twice as long as RH lead.
2. Do it in front of a mirror, make sure stick heights are the same, correct funky motions.

That's it, you just have to do it.

"Being as good as" your right doesn't mean they're both good at the same things on drum set. You should just be able to lead with your left and get an even sound playing snare drum stuff.

Actually, another thought.

I bought your E-Book on 13 essential sticking patterns a while back now.

Printed them off and stuck them into my practice file.

Had a lot of fun doing them initially.

Maybe I need to revisit those exercises.

For me, what @toddbishop said about doing left (weak) hand lead twice as much as right hand lead has helped me more than anything. I'm not satisfied yet, by any stretch, but that has shown results.

I have some particular challenges in that I damaged my hands in a car accident. When the tendons were reattached, there was no way to do it perfectly because some of the ends had snapped, etc. So my hands, while they look symmetrical, don't actually work symmetrically. For years I got around it by switching back and forth between trad and matched, but I feel I did myself a disservice by never fully developing either.

Ultimately, though, the process is the same no matter whether the hands match or not. Work the weak hand more...

Interesting question.

I work on this a lot, because of the solo snare drumming work that I predominantly do. I generally take a pragmatic approach; I play matched grip, and aim for symmetry and partity between my hands. However, the reality is that it will likely never be the case, and my left hand will always feel a little awkward compared to my right. However, the real thing I am working towards is functionality. In other words, is my left hand functional, such that it lets me actually play the things I am trying to play. For example, here is a video of me playing Three Camps recently:

Now, from my own perspective, this neither felt symmetrical between my hands, nor does it look fully symmetrical. However, I hope you will agree that, for all intents and purposes pertinent to the particular context of this sort of video on YouTube, it sounds symmetrical. To this end, I would say that my left hand has reached a high degree of functionality, even if it isn't truly symmetrical and to the same level as my dominant right hand.

The weak hand can do anything the strong hand does....with a lot of training.

I equaled my weak hand to my strong hand. It took me over 12 years of on and off practice.

I started by observing my hands. I was unknowingly using a different technique for each hand until I began observing and working on it. So what I did was to match the muscles I was using in my strong hand...to my weak hand. My thumb was held stiff with my weak hand, and in my strong hand, my thumb was bending at the joint. So I had to spend time getting the technique nailed down with my weak hand. It's an ongoing thing, but I feel equal enough now. I can do a convincing jazz ride pattern now with my weak hand. I highly recommend equality between hands, although I know it's not everyone's goal.

When I first started playing seriously I was taught to play exercises left handed as well as right handed. I enjoy the challenge, it’s fun, it can get you out of trouble and it provides showmanship options in the kind of music I like to play (hard rock). Am I happy with my left? Of course not, same with my feet. I’m miles away from where I want to be on the instrument, but that’s half the fun for me… :) (y)

Actually, another thought.

I bought your E-Book on 13 essential sticking patterns a while back now.

Printed them off and stuck them into my practice file.

Had a lot of fun doing them initially.

Maybe I need to revisit those exercises.

Maybe-- those patterns are useful as vocabulary, they won't necessarily be the best thing for equalizing the hands.

All good answers.
I think @toddbishop has the correct framing in that being able to lead with alternate hands is more or less the more important goal.

For me this is how I look at it.
In school we had to learn the rudiments, there was 26 we didn't go into the hybrids, this was late 90s-early 2000s.
Now, I am not sure how many PAS has now, but the material is out there if you would like to work on those sticking patterns.

When I worked at the music store, I would peruse the marching and theory sheet music for percussion, and work on them during slow periods.
I even jotted down some of the more memorable and have a few scratches of that available today.
After a few years of extending my rudimentary experience and learning some hybrids, it dawned on me that:
Rudiments are akin to driving along the road, you may need to switch lanes, avoid hazards and obstacles, and to get into better position for a pass, or maybe a sudden turn or stop that you can't completely come to in relation to traffic flow at the time - so you break accordingly, shift down or up to obtain the correct gear correlating to your speed.

If you break and shift all the way down, you're going to have to catch up, potentially distressing the environment - same in the music sense.
If you watch all the signs, and note the scape, you take the proper signals (or rudiments) your exchanges are more flowing, and your next rudimentary move(s) present more 'exit' options rather than a building catch-up-to-speed from gears neutral, first to whatever.

I guess you could use it in boxing as well, you don't just alternate jabs or haymakers, you are tactically setting up an opponent for the most effective opportunity without disrupting your sense and balance.

Sorry I know that was hard to follow, I hope you get the jist. :)

I am pretty good with my left and right hand's dexterity, as I go through life using both sides for different functions.
But saying this, I need to work on stick dynamics or control, for some reason, the stick strokes pitch (7A) sound different hitting the same head, even when I switch the sticks over.
I am not a flailer and my stick height is on the rigid low side (think concert and marching), I am thinking grip (as I do have a different hold left and right) or some other micro kinetics.

Maybe some recording or mirror time would help me with this.

My left foot is catching up, I can feel me using left foot lead or back beat left double bounce rather than alternate stroke foot patterns.
This is starting to be more natural as I am exploring ways to use it effectively.

It does take time and like most, practice using memory, books, or rudimentary exercises, just do it with both hands for dexterity's sake.
Your brain will catch on to what your sticking idea is, just focus, and don't be like me but make sure the feel of dynamics and control are consistent on both hands and/or feet.

Use your left hand to do more everyday things. While cooking, opening doors, even swiping a debit card. You'll be surprised. Some of it is muscle memory, a lot of it is training your brain imo.

instead of weaker embrace wilder.. if your left (assuming right handed) is the Billy Goat (crazy nuts able to go off in odd direct (and sometimes reach top of mountain before anyone...OK. Then Right as the stoic Buffalo. Steady resolute methodical.
One's a Helper one's a Leader. One's up when the other is Down..
you don't have two hands---you have One.. that is a team,..

ok did that convince anybody? :D ..

instead of weaker embrace wilder.. if your left (assuming right handed) is the Billy Goat (crazy nuts able to go off in odd direct (and sometimes reach top of mountain before anyone...OK. Then Right as the stoic Buffalo. Steady resolute methodical.
One's a Helper one's a Leader. One's up when the other is Down..
you don't have two hands---you have One.. that is a team,..

ok did that convince anybody? :D ..
No, but it was a worthy try! 😁

Try this one...

Let's look at a Boxer (say Muhammad Ali not the Porsche...)

I don't know a lot about boxing but it seems to me.
The left has a function as does the Right. Different position/ different "functions" ( yes? no? )
One Jabs One Clobbers.
They (boxers) don't fight with both in same position- correct?
Or are expected to work the same task? Yes no?..

no? Ok. How about ""husband and wife"..
Left (Wife) right (Husband)
Are you (assuming husband) going to call your 'left" "weaker, sloppy, undisciplined...." See where that gets ya : ) Instead of equal yet different "partners"... Yes both need exercised - do that- but to be frustrated when both aren't identical is to overlook the possible team

I could do this/ with Night and Day/ Negative and Positive/ and you know Ying needs Yang (not sure what that means) Polarities- one needs- the opposite/different/ in some ways- other
Two negatives, Two Left Feet (reference to dancing) Two Cooks in a Kitchen; Two positives.
Must have been a Modern Drummer (article) where everyone believes ambidexterity unlocks some mystery key
versus accepting the differences as (in) Tandem

no? Ok. How about ""husband and wife"..
Left (Wife) right (Husband)
Are you (assuming husband) going to call your 'left" "weaker, sloppy, undisciplined...." See where that gets ya : ) Instead of equal yet different "partners"... Yes both need exercised - do that- but to be frustrated when both aren't identical is to overlook the possible team
Keep going mate, you’ve got this! :ROFLMAO: (y)

you don't want me to go into Astrology do ya? Opposites Attract? No? ok...

:D Ok so this Taurus and Scorpio meet in a bar
'At first" they're enemies.. Then something Happens.....

Then walks in a Leo and an Aquarius couple.. and.
they all meet with a Virgo and Pisces duo.. Pretty soon all...

@Al Strange don’t get @jda going, he does well on his own…

Try this one...

Let's look at a Boxer (say Muhammad Ali not the Porsche...)

I don't know a lot about boxing but it seems to me.
The left has a function as does the Right. Different position/ different "functions" ( yes? no? )
One Jabs One Clobbers.
They (boxers) don't fight with both in same position- correct?
Or are expected to work the same task? Yes no?..
Yes you are correct about functionality - in general.

However, speaking drums, I’m not sure the intent of the OP was to have a left hat crossover just a good a’figurin’ as the right hat crossover along with back beat/ghost note repository.

He/she wants dexterity in a weaker hand, and is seeking ways to achieve a sense of confidence around the kit.
Not sure why your relating in terms of opposites when each limb should be striving for structure and cohesive independence and not ‘opposing’ each other.

well, opposites that work together in conjunction
but yea just having fun with the age old topic +/-

re-looking at Post #1...... "Is it ok" .....I believe is (not what you say) is what was asked and what I answered
"Is it ok" and I suggest ways to accept, live, deal, even embrace (embrace rather than - as if "something's wrong" with one side; a full on "seek and correct" mission, the fact that we as humans are asymmetrical

So, breathe.

Last edited:
well, opposites that work together in conjunction
but yea just having fun with the age old topic +/-

re-looking at Post #1...... "Is it ok" .....I believe is (not what you say) is what was asked and what I answered
"Is it ok" and I suggest ways to accept, live, deal, even embrace (embrace rather than - as if "something's wrong" with one side; a full on "seek and correct" mission, the fact that we as humans are asymmetrical

So, breathe.

Hi jda!

I THINK that I understood your responses.......I got the vibe that you are suggesting that maybe it's the differences between the left and right that is something to embrace?

I'm kinda looking at ways to MINIMISE those differences as it's just getting annoying now.....ya know?

You have a very interesting way of looking at it, but if I never try to look at it from a "symmetry" perspective, this issue will continue to annoy me.

I really appreciate the time you take to answer my post.

All good answers.
I think @toddbishop has the correct framing in that being able to lead with alternate hands is more or less the more important goal.

For me this is how I look at it.
In school we had to learn the rudiments, there was 26 we didn't go into the hybrids, this was late 90s-early 2000s.
Now, I am not sure how many PAS has now, but the material is out there if you would like to work on those sticking patterns.

When I worked at the music store, I would peruse the marching and theory sheet music for percussion, and work on them during slow periods.
I even jotted down some of the more memorable and have a few scratches of that available today.
After a few years of extending my rudimentary experience and learning some hybrids, it dawned on me that:
Rudiments are akin to driving along the road, you may need to switch lanes, avoid hazards and obstacles, and to get into better position for a pass, or maybe a sudden turn or stop that you can't completely come to in relation to traffic flow at the time - so you break accordingly, shift down or up to obtain the correct gear correlating to your speed.

If you break and shift all the way down, you're going to have to catch up, potentially distressing the environment - same in the music sense.
If you watch all the signs, and note the scape, you take the proper signals (or rudiments) your exchanges are more flowing, and your next rudimentary move(s) present more 'exit' options rather than a building catch-up-to-speed from gears neutral, first to whatever.

I guess you could use it in boxing as well, you don't just alternate jabs or haymakers, you are tactically setting up an opponent for the most effective opportunity without disrupting your sense and balance.

Sorry I know that was hard to follow, I hope you get the jist. :)

I am pretty good with my left and right hand's dexterity, as I go through life using both sides for different functions.
But saying this, I need to work on stick dynamics or control, for some reason, the stick strokes pitch (7A) sound different hitting the same head, even when I switch the sticks over.
I am not a flailer and my stick height is on the rigid low side (think concert and marching), I am thinking grip (as I do have a different hold left and right) or some other micro kinetics.

Maybe some recording or mirror time would help me with this.

My left foot is catching up, I can feel me using left foot lead or back beat left double bounce rather than alternate stroke foot patterns.
This is starting to be more natural as I am exploring ways to use it effectively.

It does take time and like most, practice using memory, books, or rudimentary exercises, just do it with both hands for dexterity's sake.
Your brain will catch on to what your sticking idea is, just focus, and don't be like me but make sure the feel of dynamics and control are consistent on both hands and/or feet.

Thanks Ransan.

Your post is really encouraging.

I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my post, it's very kind of you.

I wonder if it's the same for some other people as it is for me. My R hand is definitely stronger and more steady and even, but my L is smarter in many ways too. Like my L can do triplets against the other limbs playing duple or vice versa, my L figures out paradiddle motions intuitively and I figure them out conceptually later, and my L really latches on to tempo.

Back