American football!!!

I was a safety years and years ago ( high school).
Lots of basement dwellers to root for :
Bengals
Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Cards
Chargers
Patriots- heheh
Fantasy football ball is probably as big as the nfl in North America. I’m in four leagues myself.

Lions & Bears

Good ol' Aussie Rules (AFL).

If you don't like Aussie Rules, you're kinda screwed as it absolutely saturates every channel on TV and every friggin page of every damn newspaper.

I actually don't really like the game personally.

My fave team though is Saint Kilda.

They have only won one premiership....I think it was 1966.

The boys usually do well at the start of the season but just lose steam later on.

They've made a few Grand Final appearances in recent history but no wins.

They are always the underdogs......bless em.

They have had some amazing players though......Tony Lockett, Stuart Lowe, Nicky Winmar, Nathan Bourke, Nick Riewoldt.

It's got an insane following here.

The game has a massive field of play.

These players have to run fast over quite long distances and kick 55 to 65 meters on the run.

The players these days are getting faster, bigger, more ripped and it has its own level of danger but not like NFL.
So what’s the difference between Aussie rules football and rugby? It looks like the same sport to me.

So what’s the difference between Aussie rules football and rugby? It looks like the same sport to me.

Hiya TK........the biggest difference is in Aussie Rules you must kick the ball.

Throwing the ball is a totally illegal act.

In AFL you can kick in any direction, there's no such thing as offside like in English football.

So Aussie Rules (AFL) is kinda messy to watch. There's players everywhere and doing all sorts of things.

But the size of the oval is quite big, so they are really fit players as they run continuously except for the Full Forward and the Full Back.

The Full Forwards are usually very strong powerful players with height, bulk, very long kickers. They kinda lead from their forward line to mark (catch) the ball and kick goals.

The Full Back players try to stop the opposing teams full forward from marking the ball. These guys need to kick the ball long distances to get it back into their own forward line.

Rugby is generally a lot more physical and they are absolutely brutal with their tackles.

They must throw backward in Rugby League.

I find Rugby a bit more stop/go than AFL.

But West Aussies are not generally big on Rugby like our Eastern States brothers and sisters.

I actually dislike Rugby a great deal.

We had a team for a while in the national league, but it didn't last long.

Comparing the two, AFL is kinda a free-for-all.

You can't high tackle in AFL, you can't push opponents in the back.

As a player with the ball, you can't hold it and run, you have to bounce it every 15 meters.......I think.

You can get penalised for holding the ball if you get tackled.

Last edited:
Hiya TK........the biggest difference is in Aussie Rules you must kick the ball.

Throwing the ball is a totally illegal act.

In AFL you can kick in any direction, there's no such thing as offside like in English football.

So Aussie Rules (AFL) is kinda messy to watch. There's players everywhere and doing all sorts of things.

But the size of the oval is quite big, so they are really fit players as they run continuously except for the Full Forward and the Full Back.

The Full Forwards are usually very strong powerful players with height, bulk, very long kickers. They kinda lead from their forward line to mark (catch) the ball and kick goals.

The Full Back players try to stop the opposing teams full forward from marking the ball. These guys need to kick the ball long distances to get it back into their own forward line.

Rugby is generally a lot more physical and they are absolutely brutal with their tackles.

They must throw backward in Rugby League.

I find Rugby a bit more stop/go than AFL.

But West Aussies are not generally big on Rugby like our Eastern States brothers and sisters.

I actually dislike Rugby a great deal.

We had a team for a while in the national league, but it didn't last long.

Comparing the two, AFL is kinda a free-for-all.

You can't high tackle in AFL, you can't push opponents in the back.

As a player with the ball, you can't hold it and run, you have to bounce it every 15 meters.......I think.

You can get penalised for holding the ball if you get tackled.
Sounds chaotic, which is how it looks whenever I attempt to watch it. I never last more than a few minutes before shaking my head and changing channels. I prefer sports where I can comprehend what’s going on and understand the strategy behind each play.

Sounds chaotic, which is how it looks whenever I attempt to watch it. I never last more than a few minutes before shaking my head and changing channels. I prefer sports where I can comprehend what’s going on and understand the strategy behind each play.

That's how I feel about American Football!

I really want to understand it.

I'm gonna print out MrInsanePolacks' reply and have it in front of me while attempting to watch a game.

But we don't get much coverage on free to air TV.

Oh....... BTW, apparently the USA has a national cricket league.

Canada has a team that participates in the world cup.

At one point, Canada held the record for the quickest 50 runs in limited overs cricket.

Pick your team for a reason you can get behind. If you like the Cardinals uniforms, by all means root for them. I like soccer, played it for 8 years as a child, but I find it a bit drab to watch. Hockey is a similar sport, is played all over the world that has ice, but is faster in action and therefore more exciting. Just my opinion. Not trying to get into a sports debate.

Soccer ( football) has become pretty big in the U.S . Not so big when I was a kid ( I’m 53 now) but by the time my oldest daughter
( she’s 24 now) ( I have 3) started playing at around 5 , so roughly 20 years ago there were soccer teams in every school and town leagues to join and it seemed like every kid was playing soccer .

As far as injuries ( not that it’s a brutal or violent sport) I was surprised to find out when all my girls were playing that .... knee injuries in girls soccer from age like 13 - 17 ( forget the exact age group) were the number one sports related injury in the U.S , at least it was when they were all playing . My youngest daughter
( 17) stopped playing a year ago or so so don’t know if that still holds true, but it was at least as recent as two years ago .

Too many rule changes , rules in general and other BS in American football today , and I almost stopped watching a few times , but I still like it although it’s not what it once was . I can see myself one day stop watching all together maybe.
My team is the STEELERS Ben , so if it’s a losing underdog team you wanna follow it’s not them ! Maybe the Jets lol !

To make it music related . What I do love about American football, at least H.S and college , are the bands . A lot of em are freakin awesome!!!!

Last edited:
Don’t forget to explain the new 4th and 15 rule and it’s replacement of onside kicking.

Use phrases like:
Seal or plug the gap
Break the wedge
Headhunters
“Special teams guy”
Boom!

I’ll hang up and listen.

Ok.

I'm not a big sports fan by any means.

However I can understand most world team sports.........aaaaaand then there's American football.

Hut! Hut!

Run!........stop!, Wait.....start!

Safety!! No, it's out!

Substitute! Run, stop!......stop, then run.

Then game over.

This year is the year that I'm gonna try to figure out this damn game.

Oh, I wanna become a team fan.

In the NFL I like the Arizona Cardinals.

Any suggestions?

I want to become a fan of a real underdog team who always lose and struggle.

I like the Miami Dolphins because I like Dolphins.

Don’t forget to explain the new 4th and 15 rule and it’s replacement of onside kicking.

It didnt pass, according to the Sporting News. Not enough support from team owners to support the rule change.

I just read the proposed rule, what a nonsensical idea. I've got a better idea. You wanna keep the ball? Get a better defense.

Ok everyone......the moment you've all been waiting for!!

I've picked my NFL team.

Drum roll please.........brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS!!!

So, now I've got my team, I've got my rules (plus YouTube).

Gooooooooooo JAGUARS!!!

I've just subscribed to their YouTube channel and I'm watching an interview with Gardner Minshew ll (whoever the hell he is).

Is he a good player?

Last edited:

I've picked my NFL team.

Gooooooooooo JAGUARS!!!
?? Good for you they were an expansion team along with Carolina in 1995, started hot but have seen ups and downs for sure.
“And I was in Miami - with my new beach house - well I was a couple of minutes from the beach...”

I've picked my NFL team.

Gooooooooooo JAGUARS!!!

I've just subscribed to their YouTube channel and I'm watching an interview with Gardner Minshew ll (whoever the hell he is).

Is he a good player?
Why that team? When I first started watching Premiere league I watched for a while and decided which team to support by what I saw. Im not going to say which team to support, ( every team has fans) I'm just wondering why the Jags?

Back