17 Things Local Bands Don't understand .

please DO NOT tune your instruments on stage! when i see a band do this I leave immediately, IF you do not have a spare "tuned" guitar or bass on stand by then tune quickly and SILENTLY. now get off my lawn!

Um, most bands retune throughout the night. I'd rather do that then them to "be cool" and fall out of tune by night's end.

Um, most bands retune throughout the night. I'd rather do that then them to "be cool" and fall out of tune by night's end.

With a stompbox tuner a proficient guitarist should e able to tune silently and only take about 30 seconds.

please DO NOT tune your instruments on stage! when i see a band do this I leave immediately, IF you do not have a spare "tuned" guitar or bass on stand by then tune quickly and SILENTLY. now get off my lawn!

I really hope this is a joke. As a gigging guitarist I cannot begin to tell you how completely absurd this line of reasoning is. We have two different tunings we use so I am already bringing 2 guitars to every gig. So what I should bring 4? What if my backup goes out of tune? Its not like I have a tech that will tune them while I am playing. Should I bring 6 guitars to a club for my 45 minute support set? I would rather just tune when necessary. If that means you are leaving, then good riddance I guess.

My bands have rack mounted heads with a tuner in them. When they tune it doesn't come out of the amp. they look at the display..

Out of tune guitars is frigging AWFUL to hear haha. It takes them about 15 seconds to get it back as they are already usually pretty close.

Every 2-3 songs I recommended tuning. Or grab a second guitar.

I agree though. The tuning song is pretty annoying to hear in the crowd, E,E,B,B,G,G,D,D,A,A,E,E (although we tune to B)

I'm sure people don't like to hear us tuning our drums on stage, or practicing doubles, grooving between songs. etc.

My band actually treats the last few jams before a gig LIKE the gig. Singer practices banter like he is at the gig. No screwing around between songs in the set etc.. It just makes things run smooth.

Two thoughts:

1. I get the point about shorts, but living in Texas where it can be 105 outside and humid, sometimes shorts are just a necessity. But I do prefer not to wear shorts, given that I have ugly legs.

2. The comment about not tuning on stage doesn't make sense. Ever watch an orchestra? Might be worth doing sometime. Check out this video of Frank Vignola, who is one of the best jazz guitarists in the world. Part way through, he adjusts the tuning of his instrument. Tuning is something every musician should be attentive to throughout a performance and make adjustments when necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOiBlL9pHMw

The camouflage cargo short look has become my trademark, I wear them at most gigs and unless it's REALLY cold and wet that's my stage wear. And I live in NE England so cold and wet means cold and wet.
Coincidentally we were discussing image just recently. I agree with moving around a showing that you're enjoying yourself, perhaps the "grinning like a loon" comment was merely used as a turn of phrase but I've been asking one of my fellow band members to turn it down because it comes across more as childish and not (dare I say it) cool.
Another one to add- Never highlight a mistake after it's happened , never self deprecate, never jump in after one of the other band members has said something with a jokey "minimising" or self deprecating remark that undoes what they just said. It's one thing being humble but quite another to proactively and publicly do yourself down.

i heartily agree with the theme of these rules, but there are just too many of them. it can be distilled down to a single philosophy, in my pathetic opinion. be professional, in every respect (and respect is the operative word). let your professional attitude extend to every aspect of your musical endeavors, and you'll be known for that, and that's good. comport yourself in a professional manner.

I'm all for not being a D head at other bands shows, but singing along in the front row? That's weird.

I played a gig a couple of years ago where my bandmates and I cheered and jumped around for the other 2 bands and they did the same for us. It made the night far more enjoyable and due to this we played more gigs together. It's not weird, it shows you respect other musicians and you will gain more respect for doing it.

Some of this also has to do with culture and style of music. Where I live shorts are pretty much the summer uniform, so it's not a problem for a band to wear shorts. And as for jumping around for the other band, I don't see a lot of jazz musicians quite doing that. But I do go and enjoy the music of other musicians and try to be encouraging and supportive. I really appreciate it when other musicians come out to my gigs.

Also, aside from being supportive, I learn things by watching/listening to other musicians. It makes me better, both to see the amazing things other people do and also to see the mistakes other people make and how they handle them.

I played a gig a couple of years ago where my bandmates and I cheered and jumped around for the other 2 bands and they did the same for us. It made the night far more enjoyable and due to this we played more gigs together. It's not weird, it shows you respect other musicians and you will gain more respect for doing it.

Hmmm..... That arrangement sounds like enthusiastic members are being 'planted' in the audience. Not cool, and not genuine IMO.
But glad you enjoy doing it.

Hmmm..... That arrangement sounds like enthusiastic members are being 'planted' in the audience. Not cool, and not genuine IMO.
But glad you enjoy doing it.

I agree. It also sounds odd doing something for the purpose of gaining respect. I focus on my playing and learning from others. If that gains respect, fine, but I don't go out looking to gain respect. I just try to be the best I can. And appearances don't mean much in any case.

I would have one : once you're on the stage, you play ! You don't have a bloody break after three songs or a pause doing anything else between songs, you play.

Maybe it's a French things but THIS gets on my nerves, 3 minutes between each songs, for the sound, tuning, discussing, and breaks to have a beer after 4/5 songs, grrr. Such disrespectful to the audience. I saw it many times. People are there to listen to you, not to hear "and now the band is gonna have a little coffe break.." Or to watch the musicians asking themselves what they are going to play.

Otherwise I of course agree to the points up there. So relevant.

I would have one : once you're on the stage, you play ! You don't have a bloody break after three songs or a pause doing anything else between songs, you play.

Maybe it's a French things but THIS gets on my nerves, 3 minutes between each songs, for the sound, tuning, discussing, and breaks to have a beer after 4/5 songs, grrr. Such disrespectful to the audience. I saw it many times. People are there to listen to you, not to hear "and now the band is gonna have a little coffe break.." Or to watch the musicians asking themselves what they are going to play.

So what you are saying, then, is that it doesn't matter what it sounds like or if anything is in tune, you just play? I agree that the audience is not there to hear the band taking a break or endless fiddling with tuning, etc. But that's a lot different from making sure instruments are in tune. I do think the audience is there to hear something that doesn't sound like crap and if things are not in tune, it sounds like crap.

Your comment captures well the spirit of: "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!!"

If formulas worked everyone would be successful.

Yes, you can reduce your chances but the same thing applies...if formulas for failure worked everyone would avoid it.

The definition of success and failure then becomes the interesting thing.

Of course not Taiko !
But what should be done before the show, needs to be done before and not during :)
I've seen audience disappointed by that, and really bored : musicians stopping 3/4 minutes between each songs, fiddling and fiddling. Of course sometimes you have no choice (guitar strings, bad Larsen from mikes,...). But 1hour of concert for 6/7 songs and the rest eaten by infinite fiddling, that is a pain for audience.

Would you settle for a soft foot tap from a corner tableh and the occasional head nod?

Of course not Taiko !
But what should be done before the show, needs to be done before and not during :)
I've seen audience disappointed by that, musicians stopping 3/4 minutes between each songs, fiddling and fiddling. Of course sometimes you have no choice. But 45 minutes of concert 5 songs and the rest eaten by infinite fiddling that is a pain for audience.

Agreed, but the way you wrote it pretty much sounded like it didn't matter if the instruments were in tune--JUST PLAY! I went to a classical guitar concert recently and the guy spent a lot of time tuning. It's understandable, because that instrument can go out of tune very easily. Harpsichords are notorious for going out of tune during a song. Of course, I'm not thinking you play harpsichord in your concerts.

Actually, despite the fact that I understand the difficulties with his instrument, I found the constant messing with tuning to be distracting, particularly since the audience can't tell the difference with minute adjustments. But I also don't agree with the JUST PLAY mindset. If there is a problem, you need to fix it.

Last gig I did we did precisely this. It was purely because we didn't have enough material to play the slot. Guilty!

Back