Cool drum rug replacer

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I don't explore every gadget that claims to solve a non-existent problem. But I try to keep my eyes and mind open, and I'm pleasantly surprised when something comes along that actually makes things easier.

Like most of us, I use a drum rug. It never occurred to me that there might be a workable alternative, but this is it! The Nanomat is lightweight, portable, fairly invisible, easy to keep clean, and priced between a Home Depot rug and an official drum rug. Nice to stop grappling with the heavy, floppy rubber-backed dust mat I've been using for 20 years!

I signed up for email notifications for a 10% discount (and unsubscribed after the order went through :) ) It arrived faster than expected.

H/T to my buddies in the Louie Bellson Drummers Collective facebook group who brought this to my attention. Very happy I bought this!

nanomat1.jpgnanomat2.jpg

I made a DIY version once using the rubber backing used to make rugs non slip, this is in a different league. How do your snare and floor toms fare? I'm guessing they don't move or you would have mentioned it but it is a concern to me.

I'll stick to my rug, it is like walls around my kit, all the others in the band know not to put anything (including themselves) within those boundaries. (I hate it when people put their feet on the bass drum and slap the cymbals), doing that will result in probably a broken finger from being hit (really hard) with one of my sticks. (a guitar player would not appreciate me putting a beer bottle on top of his amp or putting my feet on it or sitting on it so why should I put up with them doing that to my gear?

Also some people like to use tape to remember the exact positions of stands/rack legs hence the use of a rug.
If you take your rug to different places, it takes 2 seconds to vacuum it clean...

Last edited:
I made a DIY version once using the rubber backing used to make rugs non slip, this is in a different league. How do your snare and floor toms fare? I'm guessing they don't move or you would have mentioned it but it is a concern to me.
Everything else has rubber feet and doesn't move. The kick and hat are different because they're pushed with the feet and can slide, and benefit from the carpet to help anchor them. I was a little concerned about the whole kick & carpet moving so I initially put a throne leg on it to hold it in place. But I tried it later without, and it didn't move at all. :)

Also some people like to use tape to remember the exact positions of stands/rack legs hence the use of a rug.
True, and that would be a situation where the compact pieces wouldn't be a benefit. My touring rig has a 'spiked' rug that's necessary for consistent rack-snare-kick-hat-throne positioning. I don't handle my gear on tour, and it's important that everything is exactly where I need it to be.

For local gigs, I use different kits with different sizes, and a spiked rug wouldn't help me. And with a 4-pc kit for almost every gig, positioning is pretty fast anyway. :)

That's cool. I would stash one just for the "oh shit I forgot my rug" moments

I like a full rug as I play small venues and can put down my footprint quickly whilst others set up. Someone always comes and stands on or lays down a case on my rug just as I'm about to roll it up tho

I don’t understand the benefit of just being under the bass drum? My standard rug keeps the bass, snare and hihat all locked together

I don’t understand the benefit of just being under the bass drum? My standard rug keeps the bass, snare and hihat all locked together
Everything stays put without having to sit on the same piece of rug. It's a matter of streamlining. Put the rug just where you need it. Depending on the HH action & resulting forward push, there may be some that don't need that piece at all.

what 'set size are those in Pic @bermuda
20/12/ 16?...

I would definitely consider this for jazz/country band gigs....

I would still use the full rug for my rock kit since many of the floors that kit goes on are ...well...."barely passing health code" to say the least. That carpet is like armor sometimes for sure...and it looks and smells like armor too

he's putting the nail in front of the hoop..
😁

They work for double pedals too?

I keep a cheap rug in my car, but that would take up less space.

They work for double pedals too?

I keep a cheap rug in my car, but that would take up less space.

Yep, they have a version that includes an additional pedal pad (basically you get two HH pads.)

Back