I solved my Remo problem today

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
8DC1CCEE-CE01-47BF-AFE3-BA08C5EF93EB.jpeg
This is what happens when a PS3 Colortone won’t behave: I get an EMAD2 for the bass drum, EC2S heads for the toms and for the first time, a coated UV2 on the snare. Now the kit sounds great. Theory: these big drums really benefit from heads that are maybe a bit too focused (and if you’re playing is out-of-control, like mine). I know I’m critical of Evans heads just dying suddenly, but in the case of this kit, I’ll live with that 😉

I never liked the way UV2 felt or sounded. I tried them on everything. I love the idea of having zero stick marks on a head but just couldn’t get it dialed in.

Ec2 on the other hand never sound bad. I love those heads. They make expensive drums sound great and cheap drums sound expensive.

Last edited:
1706077356916.png

if only they said Remo.. :cry:

O so now you play Evans drums? :unsure:

me.me I'm Ludwig Ensemble

View attachment 142958
This is what happens when a PS3 Colortone won’t behave: I get an EMAD2 for the bass drum, EC2S heads for the toms and for the first time, a coated UV2 on the snare. Now the kit sounds great. Theory: these big drums really benefit from heads that are maybe a bit too focused (and if you’re playing is out-of-control, like mine). I know I’m critical of Evans heads just dying suddenly, but in the case of this kit, I’ll live with that 😉
How do you like the EMAD vs the EQ4/PS3?

How do you like the EMAD vs the EQ4/PS3?
On my Rogers 22” I hated it because it was too much muffling (the drums not big enough). But on this 26”, with the small foam and a Evans EQ pillow inside it’s just enough to give a nice open tone without any high-pitched ringing from the top of the head nearest me. I took a gamble, but it works on a big bass drum!

View attachment 142958
Putting aside my extreme preference for Evans and looking at it solely from the point of view of sound you are trying to achieve in relation to size and type of drums I really think those head selections are very logical choices. I think you'll be pleased in the long run.

Someone could tell me Evans are Superior in every way imaginable to Remo.
And I'd believe them.
The point with Remo is they're flexible and have funk as opposed to "Perfection"
but I understand some drums are difficult and need that discipline.
My drums don't.

I have some Evans heads new ones and they seem to take perfection to an extreme. Or 'stiff..
I don't want that. But I understand why some would.
Remo appear more flexible organic with me.

but I understand some drums benefit from an Evans.

(Is he even Italian? I have no idea)
(he is watch in the full "extended" 44 min. interview mentions some at 1:00 (remarkable interview )

Last edited:
Someone could tell me Evans are Superior in every way imaginable to Remo.
And I'd believe them.
The point with Remo is they're flexible and have funk as opposed to "Perfection"
but I understand some drums are difficult and need that.
My drums don't.

I have some Evans heads new ones and they seem to take perfection to an extreme. Or 'stiff..
I don't want that. But I understand why some would.
Remo appear more flexible organic with me.
Well said and I definitely can see that.

Side note: am I the only one who can't handle when someone has mixed heads? When I read a post where someone says "I've got a superkick on my bass drum, an hd dry on my snare, and pinstripes on my toms" I just about can't back out of the thread quick enough. That person may be a great player and their kit may sound great but just the thought of seeing all those different logos on one kit makes me choke on myself for a moment.

Clerks 2, during the star wars vs lord of the rings debate, when Dante is explaining Frodo and Sam's... "Friendship" and the guy on the other side of the counter spits up on himself and runs away? That's me lol

View attachment 142958
How are you digging the UV2 on the snare?

And...weren't you into Aquarian for a minute? What ever happened there?

I also know you're dying to share a clip of you jamming on the new heads! Waiting... Would love to hear it.

How are you digging the UV2 on the snare?

And...weren't you into Aquarian for a minute? What ever happened there?

I also know you're dying to share a clip of you jamming on the new heads! Waiting... Would love to hear it.
Well, I got into Aquarian because a buddy of mine gets Artist pricing and they extended it to me when I visited them (they’re local to me in CA) - but it’s still hard for them because not everybody carries everything they make.

The UV2 sounds really good - not unlike the usual G2 that I would’ve gotten. It’s probably a lot livelier though. I may get to a video but it’s NAMM week and I’ll descend upon the convention center when I’m not at Disney. I mainly wanted my drum sound together as I get to play some rock n roll the next week with a college buddy of mine. I need to impress 😉

Well, I got into Aquarian because a buddy of mine gets Artist pricing and they extended it to me when I visited them (they’re local to me in CA) - but it’s still hard for them because not everybody carries everything they make.

The UV2 sounds really good - not unlike the usual G2 that I would’ve gotten. It’s probably a lot livelier though. I may get to a video but it’s NAMM week and I’ll descend upon the convention center when I’m not at Disney. I mainly wanted my drum sound together as I get to play some rock n roll the next week with a college buddy of mine. I need to impress 😉
Your friend doesn't gets heads straight from Aquarian?

yep i know that pain, im in the UK and ive been an aquarian user for the last 20 years, and its getting harder and harder to find somewhere that stocks aquarian with the stuff i want/use. remo and evans, no problems, but aquarian? its a hunt around for them.

had a very lucky find on ebay where someone had a brand new superkick 10 for just over half price so i snapped it up, as those are one of the harder heads to find over here.

I have been looking at Aquarian myself. 24" bass drums must be the most unpopular size. Evans doesn't even make a coated G1 or G2 in that size. Remo does but they are out of stock at several retailers. The Texture coated single ply heads and the Response 2 texture coated heads are looking like pretty good options and they can be bought from Aquarian direct

View attachment 142958

I used the EC2S on my toms for a while, and they always sounded and felt great...like godly....for the first 2 weeks, then it was just like a car getting a flat tire, and theyalways sounded off and felt broken. This was pre COVID though....I really wanted to like them. Hopefully you have a longer track record!

I'm about there myself. I occasionally get duds with Remo, but my last set of vintage emps are all duds. Even my CS reverse dot is already peeling, and ps3 internal ring is warped much like how the emps are with a permanent wrinkle between the plys.

I was thinking G2s, but this thread reminds me how I haven't used an EC2 in a good few years, they are nice.

Back