Is there any value in pursuing cheap, steel snare drums?

A J

Silver Member
I've been scrolling though Ebay. I'm seeing a never-ending supply of gently used steel snare drums. Most appear to be student models that got packed away and forgotten 30-40 years ago. Many of the good ones can for under $100.

Do you think owning one (or more) of these would have any value to a bar band drummer like me?

I love metal snare drums. All mine are metal. I'm just wondering if an old "student" model might have a slightly different voice. Another important consideration: If I actually like this sort of snare, it could lead to a collection. On the other hand, maybe it's foolish to buy lesser quality instruments than I currently own thinking they're gonna be great.

Your opinion?

IMO most of those snares can yield a usable sound, but their hardware is the real weak point. Lugs will detune, strainers won't work correctly or hold in place, etc. Having said that, there's something to be said about having a super cheap beater snare in case you ever end up backlining a kit for a festival or blues jam. But me personally, I'd aim a little higher and get something like a Supralite for that purpose - still really nice, with reliable hardware, yet not the prized possession that most of my other snares are. [EDIT: or maybe a used Pearl Export or Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare. Those are usually in the same ballpark pricewise, but worlds better than the cheap stencil snares.]

Last edited:
yes. some people can stand steel shell snare drums others can't. I tried a Mapex tube lug (you've seen them ) for $ 70 (used) 6.5 x 14, a couple years back.
No ways I was going to like it altho it looked the part. It's just like 'too dumb uninspiring a material, steel' to have any music in it- but that's just my op.
It's cold.
there's a vintage Pearl across the street from me. In an Odds and Ends shop. Looks like this. Has a coated Amb for snare side so I can't get to see if there's any 'music in it.
looks like ->

what the Mapex looked like that sucked me in a few years ago:

I mean it was 'ok... like in a strictly summertime outdoor Reggae band I could see it working.
It had a bit of that. Just a noise; Distance good; nothing up close you'd want to put your ear to.
Like ok listened to across a crowded bar outdoor patio with about 8 Margarita's

Last edited:
Reactions: A J
+1 on the Stage Custom steel snares. 5 1/2 is a good general purpose w/ a coated Ambassador batter and stock hoops.
I put a Power Center batter and swapped the hoops with the die cast set from my Birch Custom Absolute on the 6 1/2, and
now that mutha hits you in the guts, unmiked, from ten feet away. Good for pretty darn inexpensive (if something is good quality
without being expensive, I don't consider it to be cheap. That word carries a negative connotation for me)

You keep saying OLD steel snares. There are some older ones that are made of thicker steel that are decent steel snares. My friend has an old Pearl that sounds fantastic, but it’s heavy—it’s not your typical “tin can” steel snare that comes with entry level kits nowadays. If you can find one of those, they are certainly usable!

Bar band?
Nobody in the bar but you will know you are playing a completely fine but inexpensive steel snare drum. And they are not all the same. The older Pearl or Tama ones are well built and have excellent tone. Collect those if any. Most of them cut like a knife in an amplified band.

Supralite........13 X 7......is a nice snare......it can crack nice.......well....good......it's good.

I'm getting that you're referring to the cheaper, thinner-shelled drums made by Jinbao in China. They often don't sound bad, but I wouldn't buy one if I already own another steel shell in the same dimension. OTOH if you'd like a piccolo and could find one in 14x3.5, that'd be a valuable buy.

I own two.
1) Pearl Steel Shell Snare drum 5x14 bought for $75.00 at my local music store.
2) Pearl Export Steel Snare drum 6.5x14 bought for $50.00 from a local seller in Facebook Marketplace.
I will stay away from no-name brand steel snares and stick with brand names to get a certain level of quality.

What would I use them for? I do not play in any band now but I think lower priced steel snares are good choices for practice sessions or as a backup snare in case the main expensive snare gives up at the middle of the gig.

I own two.
1) Pearl Steel Shell Snare drum 5x14 bought for $75.00 at my local music store.
2) Pearl Export Steel Snare drum 6.5x14 bought for $50.00 from a local seller in Facebook Marketplace.
I will stay away from no-name brand steel snares and stick with brand names to get a certain level of quality.

What would I use them for? I do not play in any band now but I think lower priced steel snares are good choices for practice sessions or as a backup snare in case the main expensive snare gives up at the middle of the gig.

Actually, much of what I'm seeing are Pearl snares. I agree with you that I would not get into any no-name brand drums.

Other than what's been mentioned, the only other cheaper used ones I would look at are Pearl 13x3 piccolos, and various older Tama Metalworks.

Every now and then you can find them under 100 bucks.

Unless you need a beater you don't care about.

Other than what's been mentioned, the only other cheaper used ones I would look at are Pearl 13x3 piccolos, and various older Tama Metalworks.

Every now and then you can find them under 100 bucks.

Unless you need a beater you don't care about.
I've bought several old Pearl metal snares from shopgoodwill.com. Usually you can get them for less than $100.00. If you look carefully you can find the ones with three bands around the shell which CAN mean they are brass over chrome. Two of the ones I bought were COB and I paid $60 for them. Great sounding snares! ( And yes, heavy!)

I really like those 6.5 Steel Mapexes. The throw is funky, but the sound is very pleasing; I've even used it in the studio.

The 70s Pearls, whether brass or not, are heavy, like picking up a tire, and sound very good.

Steel is completely underrated, I think, because cheap snares are often made of it. But many still sound good.

Dan

I love these cheap steel snares because there is so much you can do with them. Tune them super high for a timbale, reggae, and/or drum and bass sound. Tune them super low for a fat meaty rock or lofi sound. Tune it to your preference and leave it in your trunk as an "emergency back up" snare. They also make great brush drums.

A buddy of mine uses a Morgan Rose sig steel snare and it sounds pretty excellent. But like anything, there are good and bad ones.

Back