My Slingerlands have two different inner plies

Are you going to hone the bearing edges?

index.php
I don’t plan on it. The edges feel pretty good under my fingers. I’m gonna let it be.

I agree with this. That’s one thing I’m really starting to appreciate about old drums. I swear they have a soul to them. Its like they have stories to tell, and you get to coax their voices out of them.
Exactly my mindset too.

Give me a used kit that’s seen some action over a brand new / out the boxes kit, every time (saying that as someone that also owns a high-end modern kit).

Love being the current custodian of a 50+ year old kit and a 60+ year old kit that can still give them each some action. Plenty of gas left in their tanks yet / more chapters still unwritten in their stories.

Could be made when Transition/ and transition may have lasted a handful of years

" Mahogany interiors continued, until the middle of 1963, when the inner ply became clear maple"

so not totally unusual to have mixed/ transition if one want to call it/ set.

That's from DrCJ

" transition from Mahogany interiors to clear maple interiors occured during 1963"

can click thru many many many Slingerland pages
``````````````````

Follow/ click here Article III for shells

Last edited:
It's probably not common, but that doesn't mean impossible or even unlikely.

The transition between mahogany and maple interiors (still surrounding a thicker poplar core) was around 63, so it's plenty possible if it was ordered in that time frame.

Badge/serial number may help further narrow this down, but those are also only so accurate. My understanding is that badges were essentially just dumped into a bucket, so it was possible for older ones to cling to the bottom and for numbers to not necessarily be in any order.

Without an original sales receipt or order, you're unlikely to ever definitively know whether or not this is factory "magic", or an assemblage or orphan drums.

You can be assured it wasn't because their artisan builders determined that the mahogany interiors produced a more pleasing tone on some drums versus others. Y'all people who think there was any real science or analysis around drum construction or design back then are straight up bonkers.

It's probably not common, but that doesn't mean impossible or even unlikely.

The transition between mahogany and maple interiors (still surrounding a thicker poplar core) was around 63, so it's plenty possible if it was ordered in that time frame.

Badge/serial number may help further narrow this down, but those are also only so accurate. My understanding is that badges were essentially just dumped into a bucket, so it was possible for older ones to cling to the bottom and for numbers to not necessarily be in any order.

Without an original sales receipt or order, you're unlikely to ever definitively know whether or not this is factory "magic", or an assemblage or orphan drums.

You can be assured it wasn't because their artisan builders determined that the mahogany interiors produced a more pleasing tone on some drums versus others. Y'all people who think there was any real science or analysis around drum construction or design back then are straight up bonkers.
Good points.
Hey! I have been looking for a good name for a band. I think I'll try, "Straight Up Bonkers". Thanks !!!

'in a dw vhs I have it here somewhere video Mick Fleetwood speaking to either Good or ..says :

"In the 60s You'd get a set and one drum would be magical" and he goes on to say how his DW all were similar same "good".

I to this day think he was (unknowingly or whats the word Unbeknownst.)
Was describing how Ludwig (and others evidently) back in the day would mix Maple drum and mahogany drum ( plies) in one set..
(I had one (Ludwig early 60s)

I think that's how he referred to- what was once a common procedure.
Found it... "In the old days You would get Lucky......"
Mick Fleetwood -----7:40 bookmarked- was what I in #2 post- was recalling
Watch it/ at seven-forty-nine to about eight-seventeen/ it's brief/

then watch it 100 X over

Last edited:
I’m still trying to figure why was an issue bringing up my DW Kit that didn’t sound good together?

It became part of the conversation when Mick was quoted as saying his DW matched together and his other old kits didn’t always match …

OK here is one answer from a well respected Slingerland expert, Brooks Tegler.
My question: "In the 60's and 70's when you ordered a new drum set from Slingerland, was it common to get a set with mixed interiors; some drums with Mahogony interiors and some with maple interiors?"
His answer: "The orders were usually through local retailers, Jimmy. If what the customer wanted was not already either with a distributor or actually in stock, it would become an order from the factory. According to what I have learned, like Zildjian stamping its cymbals, factory drums were not actually even assembled until those orders came in (regardless of specific build dates of the shells.) Hence, it's highly unlikely that shells would be of different construction for one order."

Me thinks the set here in question is really 2 sets with the same finish that were packaged together to make one usable set. But the is the obvious thing to think......and there is nothing wrong with that if that is truly the case.

Cool set, go make music with it......

pretty odd chance someone put those together as Singles; think about it.
where did they start? how often you see the WMP 24" bass solo alone on auction/sale?..
the 24/18 alone ? and then added a 13 and 16? Possible .. Anythings possible.

be one heck of a backstory maybe the dealer has some info on how from who etc he Got them.
Call before they forget!
I've- as a dealer- taken cars in on trade and then forgot the who how when
Call that dealer up @PorkPieGuy and have a friendly kind chat. (ask of any backstory of the kit) Chances are he'll enjoy hearing from you! promise!
Plus he'll be loaded up with eggnog
(kidding on that last part : )
Call Monday!
just say you're curious about any backstory on the set
and let him talk : ) don't inject anything until the last final moment of the conversation etc
Let him spill what's in his mind 1st
it could be 2 paragraphs or he doesn't know

kind of like my posts : )

Last edited:
They’re drums made in an era when no one cared about wood type.

Put coated heads on; if you can’t see the difference then perhaps you won’t hear a difference.

Beautiful kit! Enjoy them and merry Christmas!

I put new heads in top and bottom, a new Emad on the kick, refreshed the reso with my initials, and a new head on the Pork Pie snare I’m gonna play with them (walnut and cherry). I also teamed them up with some Heartbeats and played them a little. I think they sound really great! I can’t wait to gig them.

A22E689E-A943-421C-B0C7-E9739EA8DACE.jpeg
BFA07CF9-044C-4DD5-AD28-F60D3D619A96.jpeg
DBBD4AF3-0892-412C-97CA-2311055C8834.jpeg

yes I figured you could get the telephone number from the page : D

Maple / mahogany is more sonically compatible than , say , the birch/mahogany mixes that Premier used to offer.

I’ve done tons of research and asking questions about my mismatched drum shells. Apparently, the drum set circa is 1974. I’ve done quite a bit of inspection of these, and I get the feeling that these were sold together. The serial numbers are really close together, they are all in the same shape with the same amount of yellowing. I don’t think that this is an orphan kit because getting the serial numbers and color matching this close together would be tough if not impossible. I’ve attached pics of the badges to this message. The kick doesn’t have a badge, but all three toms do.

My favorite answer to shell mystery is this one: by 1974, Slingerland was making their 22, 12, 13, 16 kits with maple interiors. When it came to larger drum shells, in particular 24” kicks, 18” and 20” floor toms, they used leftover mahogany interior shells from the 1960’s. We have to remember that Slingerland wasn’t churning out kits the way Ludwig was at the time, so they were using new-old-stock mahogany shells in the larger sizes instead of making new maple shells while the old mahogany ones continued to gather dust. To me, this makes the most sense because how many 3-ply Slingerland 24” kicks and 18” floor toms do you see out in the wild? I don’t know about you, but I’ve not seen many at all. All in all, this answer makes the most sense to me.

0F11C7DA-9BCE-4870-981D-3CA9BE496995.jpegA07D1929-54E3-4883-90BC-868B4C62095C.jpeg734C9C2B-C098-4F59-9DFB-530E8C243779.jpeg D445EBC3-E0D4-4DDB-A17B-8E8DEE75ABD6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back