Terrible Noble and Cooley News

I appreciate that there’s a subset of drummers turned on the idea that they once spoke to — or corresponded with — the CEO of a niche boutique drum maker. To me, the only thing being lost by the Jones selling
their company is the opportunity to pay too much for a drum built without the automation we’ve taken for granted for a century.
That's such a cynical, bitter sounding, view.
The drums sounded amazing, and the family running the company were Mr and Mrs normal, no airs and graces, no attitude, no profiteering actually - it's a lot more expensive to build drums from local woods in New England than in Mexico or China.

That's such a cynical, bitter sounding, view.
The drums sounded amazing, and the family running the company were Mr and Mrs normal, no airs and graces, no attitude, no profiteering actually - it's a lot more expensive to build drums from local woods in New England than in Mexico or China.
yeah, I'm just now learning not to respond to those kinds of posts ( the one you quoted above). It's taken me years of writing and them deleting really nasty responses until I finally got there, 12 steps indeed...

Truly sad. As a former small business owner I can attest to the brutality of owning and running a small business. Having it actually be manufacturing with hiring requirements and checkboxes would make it near impossible. Our government processes are very punishing to small business owners, so with the economic times, I'm not shocked. It's bad enough to try and survive against the big guys as it is without having to do it with a bad economy and all the federal and state requirements, especially all the most recent ones.

They just made it through the Gulf War. The drums were a kind of vanity project while the real bread and butter was the toy drum division.
Some big toy retailer made a deliver or lose the contract demand, right when a bunch of materials were stuck in a container on the other side of the world. So they ended up just making high-end drums.
None of the family are driving Porsche or Lexus. I think it was a passion and a family tradition they wanted to keep going at all costs. Obviously it just got too difficult.

These guys are some of the nicest and most pure of human beings. When one of my bands Co headlined RPM fest a few years back, at the time I was playing a N&C, they offered me to come down before the event for a personal tour.

They took me throughout the facility and all of the history. Touching pieces of drums over a centuries old, learning, and listening to these guys and all their passion.

We went through the shop and I got to see first hand at their steam bending machines and paint booths etc. All the way to their studio and got to play a little bit with them.

It was a great honor to be in their presence. I wish them the best.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221001-113853_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-113853_Instagram.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20221001-113902_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-113902_Instagram.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20221001-113910_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-113910_Instagram.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20221001-113919_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-113919_Instagram.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20221001-114502_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-114502_Instagram.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 22
That's a darn shame. I wonder if it will drive up the prices of already made N&C drums.

It's the only set I would have considered short of Guru. Not that I would have bought any, I'm completely done buying drums and cymbals

I hope the master builders carry on under a different flag.

Aren't they privately held? How can a privately-held company suffer a "hostile takeover"?

Hmm Makes Eames Look better

so did I

I know they have a distinctive sound; otherwise; can't help ya; don't know/ care
They were around in the 1800s I think; the only similarity; angle I'm thinking of;
not -ply non-ply - tho NC have made ply yes no? Good yes thanks;

Eames are pulling ahead in my mind;
At the least afaik- equal/
in the boutique/Civil war/arena

I know they have a distinctive sound; otherwise; can't help ya; don't know/ care
They were around in the 1800s I think; the only similarity; angle I'm thinking of;
not -ply non-ply - tho NC have made ply yes no? Good yes thanks;

Eames are pulling ahead in my mind;
At the least afaik- equal/
in the boutique/Civil war/arena

It’s OK that you didn’t have a good answer to a relevant question. A LOT of people lose online discussions with me. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: jda
Back