just getting back into to drumming after looooong hiatus

No self respecting metal drummer would be caught dead playing e-drums right? ?
Whatever acoustic set you end up getting there's tons of triggering options out there.
George Kollias endorses Footblaster triggers and uses an old Alesis DM10 module to trigger his bass drums apparently because (in his words) "everyone has a DM10 laying around"
yes, I know, right!? aside from feel and sound the aesthetics just don't work for metal and electric sets! XD

Of the many things I did not expect to encounter today, a mention of my old local GC on DW was definitely one of them.
what a trip, its a small small world! I was so toasted back then that I almost thought I remembered it being in El Cajon, but then I remembered I did not like going to El Cajon because it was (even more) risky to steal a ride on the green line going that Far East from Mission Valley! BTW WTF is up with naming a trolley stop and neighborhood "fashion valley"? 2 strikes for counts of LAME and PRETENTIOUS! lol

If I had $1,000 to spend I would spend $300 or less on a solid used cheap kit and the rest of the budget on cymbals. It took me a good while into my second time around to learn that was the way to go, at least for me.
so true, that is so long as it isn't a pearl forum or something of equal sound quality/ value. I used to be in love with my Zildjan custom A 17' crash, and 20' crash. I also used to have a Zildgan from the 60's or so that didn't even have a print stamp, just an engraved stamp. it sounded so good and I got it for free at a "commune barn" that used to have shows in south Santa Rosa, ca. their sounds were amazing but they tended to chip and get stress cracks much more easily than my Sabian AAX, and hand hammered. those things didn't sound as good but you could chop bones with em!

they still make all the zildgans they used to? is zildgan still the best of the best for high end cymbals? any other newer brand I may not know of in the last 15yeraas?

My kit is going on 15 years and I’ve never had a problem with the ball joint or any other bit of hardware (but yesterday my IC kick pedal felt odd, so it may need a new spring). I’ve played church kits where the ball joint has been over tightened, and that causes issues (and can easily be fixed), but I load my stand up and don’t think about it.

-----------------

I used to have a Tama chain drive that served me well, before playing double bass. then once I got my Axis longboards (saved up for a year to get them back- then was 999$) with the anodized black dye I could never go back to a chain drive. the hinged pully system was so responsive and awesome and easy to customize, it was worth every penny. wonder if they still make them? such a great company and pedal! back when I bought it the guy who made them had a shop and his wife was customer service. a 2 person company with the best pedals I ever played. if Tomaas Haake from Meshugah plays with them they must be good! wonder if the same models still around...

I have been wanting to play drums and write music so badly, I have resorted to drum machines and electronic music (hardware instruments only of course) because I have no where to set up or play a set, and no other musicians to play in a band with anymore. I am a "DRUM MACHINES HAVE NO SOUL" kind of person in my core though. its kind of a compromise because I can use all my instruments on my desk with my presonus audiobox and MacBook. check it out if you like, I have only been making (electronic) music for about 6 months though, so don't expect apex twin XP

I like incorporeal but my friend that I collaborate with says it is too dark to be the first track. I also play my acoustic bass on track 2 and a zoom trigger set while all other tracks are real time step programmed on my DR202 and micro Korg

so true, that is so long as it isn't a pearl forum or something of equal sound quality/ value. I used to be in love with my Zildjan custom A 17' crash, and 20' crash. I also used to have a Zildgan from the 60's or so that didn't even have a print stamp, just an engraved stamp. it sounded so good and I got it for free at a "commune barn" that used to have shows in south Santa Rosa, ca. their sounds were amazing but they tended to chip and get stress cracks much more easily than my Sabian AAX, and hand hammered. those things didn't sound as good but you could chop bones with em!

I was completely out of drumming from 1992 to 2016, and ended up buying a used Pearl Forum Series kit on Craigslist in Atlanta and a new Paiste PST 7 cymbal pack.
The Pearl Forum was in great condition, but the poplar shells sounded awful to my ear.
The PST 7's were more than adequate for me, as I was looking to find something equivalent to the old Paiste 404's I used to play in college @ UGA.

After a year of assimilating back into drumming, I upgraded to a Gretsch Renown kit, Paiste 602's and Signatures, with a Giant Beat next on my wish list.

they still make all the zildgans they used to? is zildgan still the best of the best for high end cymbals? any other newer brand I may not know of in the last 15yeraas?

all of the companies have great high end cymbs....

I am a Zildjian fanboi, so I am going to tell you that yes, Zildjian is still the best....the "problem" now-a-days is that there is almost too much to choose from in any companies line up...I personally compare everything to Zildjian A's because to me, they are the "original"...especially in my ears, I know that line the best

Meinl is a big "newcomer" that many metal people...and all genres...are latching on to.

Sabian, Paiste, Meinl, Bospohrus....all have great hi end cymbals

the Meinls would be the only brand I have seen/heard that would possibly find thier way into my all Zildjian set up

and I would like to have a Paiste Rude ride in honor of Nicko McBrain...

all of the companies have great high end cymbs....

I am a Zildjian fanboi, so I am going to tell you that yes, Zildjian is still the best....the "problem" now-a-days is that there is almost too much to choose from in any companies line up...I personally compare everything to Zildjian A's because to me, they are the "original"...especially in my ears, I know that line the best

Meinl is a big "newcomer" that many metal people...and all genres...are latching on to.

Sabian, Paiste, Meinl, Bospohrus....all have great hi end cymbals

the Meinls would be the only brand I have seen/heard that would possibly find thier way into my all Zildjian set up

and I would like to have a Paiste Rude ride in honor of Nicko McBrain...
what does your name mean? and also what is that a pic of? *scratching head*

what does your name mean? and also what is that a pic of? *scratching head*

my name means Straight Edge Tenor Drummer - I am straight edge, and I played quads, and love the quads in marching band/drum corps

the avatar is the little black sheep from Minor Threat's Out Of Step ep....he has always been my mascot since for the most part, I run the opposite direction from "the herd"

Still a newer drummer, I got an older mid-level Yamaha set for a good price, and then spent as much again on cymbals. Also, got a good throne. :)
Totally pleased with my set, totally recommend going used.

I run the opposite direction from "the herd"
Yet, you were in a drum corps or marching band of some sort. The kind where everyone follows the ”drum major”? Were you a difficult student? ?

I feel like Throne should be on the list in between Cymbals and Snare
PO v2

1. Cymbals
  2. Throne
  3. Snare drum
  4. Hardware
  5. Bass drum
  6. Toms

Yet, you were in a drum corps or marching band of some sort. The kind where everyone follows the ”drum major”? Were you a difficult student? ?

well...I marched backwards when everyone else marched forwards...a lot...especially freshman year ?

My break was for 32 years . Truly for fun and hobby at this point.
32 years! Man that makes me happy to hear. My break wasn’t quite as long as yours but it was long enough to raise a family, so a solid 20 years. Now I just need to find some other, ahem, “mature” musicians who want to play with me, after the current mess passes of course.

Back