just getting back into to drumming after looooong hiatus

mikyok

Platinum Member
oh no! no pinstripe?! WTF happened while I was gone? AND they discontinued to Mapex Saturn V? geez...seems like whenever a consumer product is TOO GOOD and does not have a 'planned obsolescence' for repeat business it gets axed. just look at the 1980's Toyota pickup!

The Saturn's are still about they just released a new model that isn't as good for the working drummer as the tour series. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Black dots seem to have come back into vogue. By all means keep with the pinstripes, they've never stopped making them.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I am not to familiar with RMV except by name alone
Brazilian drum company. Really rare in the US. I have 2 kits. (22, 8, 10, 12, 14 & 18, 12, 14). Made with very thin Bapeva (Brazilian maple) shells ..... with extremely light composite plastic lugs.
and Slingerland... wow, they must be doing something right if they're still around! even if they're not still around, they did stuff right. hadn't heard that name in a minute.
They are gone, for now. DW bought the name from Gibson .... so they may return. My kit's from 1985. 5 ply shells. The Magnum series. I'd never owned a power tom set, and these toms are definitely POWER toms. Toms are square sized. 10x10, 12x12, 16x16 .... 24x14 inck kick. My latest addition.
I used to buy Tama hardware, and for Floor Tom ball joint braces for my Yamaha 15' custom tom it was pretty good. the boom stands were amazing to for the price. so Yamaha has superior hardware to Tama?
I used Tama, Pearl, and DW hardware in the past. Been a Yamaha fan, for about 20 years but all the majors make good stuff. It's all personal choice. I still have a Tama legless hi-hat ..... and a DW 9550 hi-hat (shaft drive) for when I want to go center hi-hat position. And I have a bunch of pedals ..... currently using a Pearl 930/932.

Used will definitely get you more bang for the buck. The last "new" drum kit I bought, was in 1980. If $1000 is just for the drums ..... you'll have a lot of choices. If that includes cymbals and hardware, go big on the cymbals, and cheap on the drums. I'd much rather play a $300 drum set with $700 cymbals, than the other way around. With heads and tuning ..... you can make almost any kit sound decent. I bought a vintage Tama Royalstar for $200 ..... and it's a killer sounding kit. Same 9 ply Mahogany shells Tama used in the Imperialstar. But beginner/entry level cymbals can really be a wet blanket.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

welcome back!!!

I would make a suggestion to NOT try to directly replicate the sound you used to have...to a point. Sometimes it is cool, and refreshing to explore new sound ides as equipment evolves. I was also a Pinstripe fanboi for a long time...until I tried some other combos, and now found a bunch of different ideas for head combos.

I also love a poppy, high "Stewart Copland-esque" snare sound, but that also has evolved into a variation of that of my own now.

I grew up - and still do - playing thrash, punk, crossover, prog...as well as jazz, funk etc...so I think we come from the same background!

will be cool to hear about your dive back in!

meshuggah escape plan

that Tama looks sweet, but how are those ball joint cymbal stand tom racks? seems like it wouldn't be as sturdy..? I do like a rack or bass drum mount. or just used to it...

meshuggah escape plan

welcome back!!!

I would make a suggestion to NOT try to directly replicate the sound you used to have...to a point. Sometimes it is cool, and refreshing to explore new sound ides as equipment evolves. I was also a Pinstripe fanboi for a long time...until I tried some other combos, and now found a bunch of different ideas for head combos.

I also love a poppy, high "Stewart Copland-esque" snare sound, but that also has evolved into a variation of that of my own now.

I grew up - and still do - playing thrash, punk, crossover, prog...as well as jazz, funk etc...so I think we come from the same background!

will be cool to hear about your dive back in!
righteous! BRUTALITY! (mortal combat throwback) thrash thrash thrash! I remember being 15 or 16 years old and hearing metalica and I was like " this is alright, but the drums are heavy, and not fast enough" then I heard slayers "Devine intervention" and just that drum solo on the first track I was like "FUCK yEaH, ThAtS mY BaG!" bad brains is sick as F____ too, 15 year old me was in drumming for life at that point. later hearing pocho Sanchez and Grant Green's drummers kept showing me not to stick to one basket of eggs. diversify!

meshuggah escape plan

at one point I caught my self considering an electric set... :( ...recently. they are just like computers though. next year it won't be fast enough or some shit

meshuggah escape plan

One store (MF) carries 119 new acoustic drum sets from $500 to $1000:
so you've got to narrow it down a bit.
There's also tons of used sets in that price range.

Also, I don't think you said if your $1k max range also includes cymbals and hardware.
I would def like it too include the cymbals and hardware. trying to go used with all the goodens. also I would like to apologize for not getting back to this thread in a couple days! I have been at my GFs house and my laptop doesn't leave my house anymore. I have had too many things stolen out of my car. I make sure not to leave anything in there, I don't even like having the coin tray in sight!

meshuggah escape plan

one time after playing a gig in bay view district of SF I left my whole Sonor set in my singers hatch back supra overnight! :O stupid move I know! lucky nothing happened cause he has tinted windows but that was such a dumb move. we were drinking and partying after the show though and had to get a ride back across the bridge. ill never do tht again.

cbphoto

Gold Member
that Tama looks sweet, but how are those ball joint cymbal stand tom racks? seems like it wouldn't be as sturdy..?
My kit is going on 15 years and I’ve never had a problem with the ball joint or any other bit of hardware (but yesterday my IC kick pedal felt odd, so it may need a new spring). I’ve played church kits where the ball joint has been over tightened, and that causes issues (and can easily be fixed), but I load my stand up and don’t think about it.

66690F45-D5B7-4860-B272-907F345C34C5.jpeg

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Wow welcome back so you haven't set on a kit for all that time at all? I spent some 10-15 year hiatus and it was like starting all over again. I was shocked at how awkward it all felt-like I was a traditional grip but coming back I adopted matched grip. I thought it would be like riding a bicycle and all come back quickly-I didn't have that experience but I hope you do. Now is no better time to take up drums-more choices for everything compared to days of old. Some starter to mid-line kits of today equal or superior to older higher end kits.

toddmc

Gold Member
at one point I caught my self considering an electric set... :( ...recently. they are just like computers though. next year it won't be fast enough or some shit
Not necessarily. While it's true companies like Roland seem to bring out a new model every 5 minutes, the triggering itself (if that's what you mean by "fast enough") will be about the same on any mid to high level e-kit.

Plus if you want to do those blast beats (especially live) you'll need need triggers at some point anyway 🤘

moxman

Silver Member
I'd go either Sonor, Tama or Yamaha.. they all make great quality kits at reasonable prices (ahem DW..!), solid hardware, and sound great. I find Evans G2 batter/G1 reso clears on toms always sound great on either maple or birch.

meshuggah escape plan

Wow welcome back so you haven't set on a kit for all that time at all? I spent some 10-15 year hiatus and it was like starting all over again. I was shocked at how awkward it all felt-like I was a traditional grip but coming back I adopted matched grip. I thought it would be like riding a bicycle and all come back quickly-I didn't have that experience but I hope you do. Now is no better time to take up drums-more choices for everything compared to days of old. Some starter to mid-line kits of today equal or superior to older higher end kits.
HEY there! its good to hear my dilemma is not so uncommon! well I would be if I said I NEVER sat on a kit in that 11-some-odd-year time frame! when I was homeless and strung out in San Diego I used to go to the guitar center in Le Mesa and rock out on the sets for hours. hah! it was funny seeing the look on those employees and other customers faces when a thrashed out looking transient came in and rocked out the sets ;playing an array of all kinds of music. though, maybe they also thought I was going to steal something. I would say I played quite a few times while on "break", never longer than a year or so without playing a set for at least a little bit. probably a little over a year when I did a term down there. the last time I played a set at a music store a couple months ago it wasn't like starting all over, but I most def did not have the independence coordinations anymore or the "velocity sensitive" touch I once obtained. motor skills were still there though. If I were to use you're analogy of learning to ride a bike, I would say I was a pro BMX rider but now I just fool around in the skatepark. lol

meshuggah escape plan

Not necessarily. While it's true companies like Roland seem to bring out a new model every 5 minutes, the triggering itself (if that's what you mean by "fast enough") will be about the same on any mid to high level e-kit.

Plus if you want to do those blast beats (especially live) you'll need need triggers at some point anyway 🤘
so true! Flo Mounier one of my favorite (metal) drummers from CRYPTOPSY has a sponsorship with rolland for their acoustic drum triggers. lol I could never play an E kit fr metal though. they're great for some people but just not my cuppa tea

meshuggah escape plan

I'd go either Sonor, Tama or Yamaha.. they all make great quality kits at reasonable prices (ahem DW..!), solid hardware, and sound great. I find Evans G2 batter/G1 reso clears on toms always sound great on either maple or birch.
what are the different sounds or "qualities" associated with those two types of wood? I think I had maple

toddmc

Gold Member
so true! Flo Mounier one of my favorite (metal) drummers from CRYPTOPSY has a sponsorship with rolland for their acoustic drum triggers. lol I could never play an E kit fr metal though. they're great for some people but just not my cuppa tea
No self respecting metal drummer would be caught dead playing e-drums right? 😄
Whatever acoustic set you end up getting there's tons of triggering options out there.
George Kollias endorses Footblaster triggers and uses an old Alesis DM10 module to trigger his bass drums apparently because (in his words) "everyone has a DM10 laying around"

moxman

Silver Member
what are the different sounds or "qualities" associated with those two types of wood? I think I had maple
Maple has a slightly warmer sound.. meaning a bit fuller, rounder, or thoomy (if that's a word Lol..) Birch is a bit dryer with focused projection but also sounds awesome.. Both work - I like both. A good drum is a good drum.. there are all kinds of exotic woods out there now too.. but I'd guess maple and birch are probably still the most popular. Head choice and tuning can dial in any sound you're after..