Breaking news : Simon Phillips' home burned down !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilg99

Platinum Member
This from Vic Salazars' Facebook page:

VIC’S BREAKING NEWS:

It’s with a heavy heart that I inform you of the cancellation of Simon Phillips’ current U.S. tour, including his two Chicago shows @ Reggies this weekend.
Unfortunately, Simon’s home in Ventura County, California, burned to the ground last night as he was performing in New York City’s Iridium Jazz Club with his band Protocol 4. A fast-moving, wind-fueled wildfire has swept through Ventura burning 45,500 acres, destroying homes, and forcing 27,000 people to evacuate while firefighters attempt to contain it. As of 8am, the “Thomas Fire” has already covered 70 square miles.

Simon had already completed a successful tour of Europe (beginning October 26th and wrapping up on December 2nd) and had just kicked off the U.S. leg last night.

I believe a Go Fund Me Page for Simon is already in the works. I will definitely keep you posted.

In the meantime, please support Simon by sharing this post and purchasing his latest album, “Protocol 4,” on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Protocol-4-Simon-Phill…/…/B076F4LD3G/

“Protocol 4” features incredible instrumental fusion compositions written by Simon and performed by four top musicians all showcased by Simon’s impeccable production.

Yeah - here in Southern California, we're glued to the news as the fires burn out of control. There are lots of mandatory evacuations going on. Scary times.

Yes, the fires and smoke are terrible. My clothes smell like I've been in a camp fire.

Though, why would Simon need a Go Fund Me Page? He has insurance, and has made more money than most of us.

Yes, the fires and smoke are terrible. My clothes smell like I've been in a camp fire.

Though, why would Simon need a Go Fund Me Page? He has insurance, and has made more money than most of us.

Go fund me isn't just for the needy. Rich folks want more money as well.

My thing is people must know the places where wild fires, earthquakes, hurricanes and such happen and yet they continue to live there. Interesting....

My thing is people must know the places where wild fires, earthquakes, hurricanes and such happen and yet they continue to live there. Interesting....

This is where my head goes as well.....

While I feel bad folks lose their property and material things, I roll my eyes and say "well that was predictable".......granted fire is a different animal than living on the ocean in hurricane zones but.....

I'm sure Simon will come out OK, losing items that can't be replaced etc. sucks.......but shouldn't we also be mourning the loss of what has to be some sweet drum gear as well here? (I know you were all thinking it)

Who the hell wants to live in Iowa? Or Kansastan?

Stay safe, Matt and others in Socal!

Man, up north a ways near SF and Napa, we just had a huge fire disaster! Got so bad around half the people you saw on the street had masks on like it was China or parts of India or something. Articles I read said air quality was actually worse some days than in those places!

I don't see any smoke from my work yet in Oakland, but I may since I hear you guys actually saw some of our smoke from the recent fires up here!

I sweated thru a week of hurricane anticipation and then no power for a week after, but can only wish the best for these people who are losing everything. Best of luck.

Stay safe, Matt and others in Socal!

Man, up north a ways near SF and Napa, we just had a huge fire disaster! Got so bad around half the people you saw on the street had masks on like it was China or parts of India or something. Articles I read said air quality was actually worse some days than in those places!

I don't see any smoke from my work yet in Oakland, but I may since I hear you guys actually saw some of our smoke from the recent fires up here!

Yeah we’re good. Ventura County seems to have suffered the worst. But there were some winds at Disneyland! I’m surprised things didn’t start falling over it was blowing so hard.

Luckily today everything seems to have calmed a bit. Thankfully!

That's not entirely true. Two or three homes in Bel-air were destroyed by fire this morning. That's not some remote town in the wilderness. The winds have been crazy lately, and they carry embers for miles. Plus everything is very dry here from the ongoing drought, so things go up in flames if you sneeze.

Simon's home is within miles of valleys where there is a lot of fuel (trees etc.) but Ventura is not a place where fires are rampant or regular.

People also know where mudslides, tornadoes, floods, blizzards, and monsoons occur, but they have to live somewhere.

\

Name a single place on earth that s not subject to wild fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, severe drought, flooding or other natural disasters.

The thing is, Simon isn't asking for help.

I've read the same news story on multiple sites, and the go fund me part isn't there.

Someone inserted the line about gofundme along the way. It's very presumptuous to just assume one is needed

For the record, Simon's official page says NOTHING about any gofundme or needing help

https://www.facebook.com/SimonPhillipsOfficialBandPage/

Simon regrets to inform everyone that his current U.S. tour dates have been cancelled. Simon's home in Southern California was destroyed by fires that have been raging in Ventura County the past two days. He was NOT home and was not injured. Thanks to everyone for communicating their concerns. New dates will be posted when available.

Name a single place on earth that s not subject to wild fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, severe drought, flooding or other natural disasters.

Subject to? Every place is. More susceptible? Now that's the question.

Step outside and you are subject to be hit by a car. Stay on a sidewalk and you are less susceptible to be hit by said car.

The thing is, Simon isn't asking for help.

I've read the same news story on multiple sites, and the go fund me part isn't there.

Someone inserted the line about gofundme along the way. It's very presumptuous to just assume one is needed

For the record, Simon's official page says NOTHING about any gofundme or needing help

https://www.facebook.com/SimonPhillipsOfficialBandPage/

The thing is I never said Simon had a go fund me account.

That's not entirely true. Two or three homes in Bel-air were destroyed by fire this morning. That's not some remote town in the wilderness. The winds have been crazy lately, and they carry embers for miles. Plus everything is very dry here from the ongoing drought, so things go up in flames if you sneeze.

Simon's home is within miles of valleys where there is a lot of fuel (trees etc.) but Ventura is not a place where fires are rampant or regular.

Why live some place where if you sneeze flames erupt? California is one rattle away from floating off into the Pacific.

I understand what you are saying though.

Why live some place where if you sneeze flames erupt? California is one rattle away from floating off into the Pacific.

Ya, I'm not understanding your hard stance on this. Sure, don't build your home meters from a flowing river, but people have been living in these 'dangerous places' for centuries.
There is a reason people emigrated to California along a fault, or to Naples at the foot of a volcano, or to ancient Greece where there is plate tectonics and plenty of earthquakes....etc There is a long history of commerce, life and civilization in many of these places that cannot just pick up and move. Seems pretty obvious.

Last edited:

I thought this stuff was a joke; still hope it is, but, do you also refuse to drive cars and go up or down stairs due to the far higher chance of death when compared to death by fire or "floating off into the pacific" fantasies?

Would you take into account that we have very few snow-related deaths? Perhaps you should live here in the winter and elsewhere in the summer to minimize your chances either freezing or getting cooked to death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back