Zildjian Set Up

Re: New Zildjian Cymbal Set up Builder

I can't get the cymbals to play any sample other than crash or bell. Chick or crash for the hats. The samples are so short it's almost worthless to compare cymbals. It used to be a lot better.

Re: New Zildjian Cymbal Set up Builder

As with most kitbuilder apps on websites, I find it next to worthless. Many of the Zildjians I own are not represented because they're older than 2013. No flexibility to rearrange drums. Sizes are not proportional. I find Illustrator (or even PowerPoint) much easier to use and get a quality diagram.

What sites have you guys found that give a good representation of the cymbals being sold?.... Terry

What sites have you guys found that give a good representation of the cymbals being sold?.... Terry

If I want to hear a cymbal that I cannot find a store, I either look at http://mycymbal.com/ or YouTube. This gives you a good ballpark for how it should sound.

The Zildjian site's cymbal builder is worthless. It sounds nice in theory, but as others have said the recordings are very limited. For example, listen to both the 21 inch and a 23 inch Zildjian Sweet Ride. They sound exactly the same. Coincidence, or is it someone being lazy with the sound files?

It just seems half baked. If they wanted to do something really cool, they would make it so that wherever you click on the cymbal, it would play the sound as if you hit it there with a stick.

Oooor, you can just get on YouTube and try to track down a good recording of the cymbal you are interested in.

And if you're really cool person, you can put some of your own cymbals on YouTube to share with the rest of the world.

+1 on the mycymbal.com recommendation.

I think Paiste has a pretty good sound sample set up on their site too. Since their cymbals are so consistent you can pretty much get a good idea of what they sound like from there.

Mycymbal.com is the best place outside of a real store. I only used the Zildjian Make-a-Kit thing to enter the contest where you could win those cymbals ._.

+1 on the mycymbal.com recommendation.

I think Paiste has a pretty good sound sample set up on their site too. Since their cymbals are so consistent you can pretty much get a good idea of what they sound like from there.

Mycymbal.com is the best place outside of a real store. I only used the Zildjian Make-a-Kit thing to enter the contest where you could win those cymbals ._.

Agreed. Paiste is good, but for any other company, Mycymbal is better.

As far as purely visual setups go- this one is terrible. Sabian's is quite good and allows for generic/logoless cymbals so you can design whatever you want, and Meinl's looks great but only allows Meinl cymbals. Both much better than this.

Thanks guys...... The mycymbals site definitely beats the Zildjian one hands down. Plus I picked up some great beats to practice..... Terry

Cool. And if you cant find something on their site, just go to youtube and put the same information in the search field.

Lets say you are looking for something that mycymbal.com does not have a video for. More than likely, for a great many cymbals, you will still get a TON of mycymbal.com youtube clips of old cymbals that they have had for sale. I find this useful for when they might be out of stock of a particular make and model, or when I am looking to pick up an item that might be discontinued.

I would also have to agree with brady. Out of the big manufactures, Paiste has a pretty good site and a great reputation for consistency of sound and character in their cymbals. You can be fairly confident that if you like how someone's Paiste 2002 24" Ride sounds, that when you find another Paiste 2002 24" Ride, it should sound the same.

BTW, What Constantinoples are you looking to pick up? I have a 20' Constantinople Med-Thin Low that I really dig.

Zildjian's Cymbal builder has always been messed up for as long as I can remember. Even the artist's configuration has the wrong cymbals or no sounds available. You'd think they would have that fixed.

Thanks RB...... I was looking at the 22" K Constantinople Thin Ride Overhammered..... and the 15" K Constantinople Crash..... I'm just window shopping and dreaming at this point. ........ Terry

Like others already said, Mycymbal.com is the place to go. Especially since they display the weight of each individual cymbal. However, their recordings seem a bit too "controlled" and sort of smoothen out the edgier qualities of the cymbal sound. If you want to hear a good quality demo that sounds like the cymbal is right in front of you, all qualities revealed, good and bad, seek out the Boston Drum Shop videos on youtube. Unfortunately they don't have demos for nearly as many cymbals as Mycymbal.com.

I think the key is to evaluating the recording environment. By comparing different demos you'll get a clearer picture.

Thanks Mike....... I'll have to get on You Tube tonight and check it out..... Terry

Back