WorldMax 14 x 8 black brass...

Al Strange

Platinum Member
Hi all, I’m seriously looking at getting one of these and wondered if any of you have played or play one? If so, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts? Also would love to hear from anyone else who plays a deep brass shell like this...:unsure: (y) :)

I can only speak for the 14x6.5 worldmax I got a couple of weeks back.

In short, get it. The drum is a Ludwig Black Magic but £200 cheaper (only difference is the badge!). Serious value for money, even with stock heads and snares it sounds great, has those great overtones you get with brass.

Attachments

• Worldmax 4.jpg
    Worldmax 4.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 32
Very nice snare. A bit miffed at the "Black Nickel Hardware Enhances Shell Strength" claim, as if the .001mm of nickel plating on the steel hardware does anything other than prevent rust and look cool.
Yeah, luckily I don’t pay too much attention to marketing statements! ?

I can only speak for the 14x6.5 worldmax I got a couple of weeks back.

In short, get it. The drum is a Ludwig Black Magic but £200 cheaper (only difference is the badge!). Serious value for money, even with stock heads and snares it sounds great, has those great overtones you get with brass.
That’s a stunning looking drum mate! (y) :D

Very nice snare. A bit miffed at the "Black Nickel Hardware Enhances Shell Strength" claim, as if the .001mm of nickel plating on the steel hardware does anything other than prevent rust and look cool.

The claim is also needless in that brass is plenty durable left unto itself. Unless one intends to launch a shell from the peak of the Empire State Building, structural reinforcements are unnecessary. The normal wear and tear of gigging should be far less stressful than a plunge from a hundred-floor edifice, provided Keith Moon isn't on stage.

The shell used is a great one.
Same as used by most "brands".
The seamed shell is solid, and the parts used are quality.

With WM, you can pretty much order what you want anyway.
If you prefer a bit more control, as opposed to as much ring as you can get, a seamed shell is a great way to go anyway.
They do have some "ring" but it's not as sharp or high-endy in the ring. You'll use less muting on a head too to get what you want.
I prefer standard rims myself, for more open tone (available in Black Nickel plate too) but that's an individual choice.

The shell used is a great one.
Same as used by most "brands".
The seamed shell is solid, and the parts used are quality.

With WM, you can pretty much order what you want anyway.
If you prefer a bit more control, as opposed to as much ring as you can get, a seamed shell is a great way to go anyway.
They do have some "ring" but it's not as sharp or high-endy in the ring. You'll use less muting on a head too to get what you want.
I prefer standard rims myself, for more open tone (available in Black Nickel plate too) but that's an individual choice.
I assume with a quality 14 x 8 the tuning range will be pretty decent too? :unsure:

Doesn't World Max also supply Pork Pie's brass shells? I picked up one used and immaculate condition for $250. 6.5" depth. Nice drum
I have to confess that it’s only through the forum that I’ve heard of these guys, and the fact they provide shells for other brands made me sit up and take notice of this particular drum when I saw it for sale. (y) :)

worldmax are great drums, ive used the 13x7 and it sounded and played superb!

the 14x7 one iv only heard demos of,but from what i heave heard its articulate, crisp, yet can really open up with power and volume when played with some gumption! :)

worldmax are great drums, ive used the 13x7 and it sounded and played superb!

the 14x7 one iv only heard demos of,but from what i heave heard its articulate, crisp, yet can really open up with power and volume when played with some gumption! :)
Awesome...I deffo do gumption! ? (y) I think you guys have made up my mind!(y)

Here's is what I did.
In a music store I compared the Ludwig Black Beauty to the Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare. Both sounded pretty much the same. I found a BOB shell for sale for $70. They are World Max Shells. But this one had the BOB badge on it.
Then I purchased all of the hardware from Drum Factory Direct. I used Brass plated hardware. All the hardware cost me about $200. Now I have a great looking and great sounding snare. It's my go to snare for those loud rock gigs.

Porky (1).jpg

IMG_0280b.jpg

Here's is what I did.
In a music store I compared the Ludwig Black Beauty to the Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare. Both sounded pretty much the same. I found a BOB shell for sale for $70. They are World Max Shells. But this one had the BOB badge on it.
Then I purchased all of the hardware from Drum Factory Direct. I used Brass plated hardware. All the hardware cost me about $200. Now I have a great looking and great sounding snare. It's my go to snare for those loud rock gigs.

View attachment 95983

View attachment 95984

That is seriously awesome mate!!! ? ?:D

Here's is what I did.

View attachment 95983

View attachment 95984

Hubba hubba nice

Back