WorldMax 14 x 8 black brass...

Quai34

Ok, I'm a bit lost I thought all the Ludwig black magic drums were like the black beauty, 1.2 mm made by Ludwig because seamless, so? And you mean that the Tama brass or copper or bronze are with a shell made by another cie?

mesazoo

Ok, I'm a bit lost I thought all the Ludwig black magic drums were like the black beauty, 1.2 mm made by Ludwig because seamless, so? And you mean that the Tama brass or copper or bronze are with a shell made by another cie?
Ludwig has someone else do their seamless shells. For a long time they have.

Quai34

Ok, I didn't know that so, fairly easy to fix other seamless manufacturer who dies a seamless shell right? If yes. Who it is and do they do the same shell as the black beauty for which manufacturer then?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
The Supralite (steel), Black Magic (Brass), and artist "signature" model shells all have seams.
The Supraphonic, various "phonic" (Brass, Bronze, Copper, Ludaloy, Aluminum) model shells, and Acrolite shells are seamless.
Hardware used on Ludwig's seamless shells is different, in that the screws are heavier gage, the cup washers are larger, the strainer and butt plate are "Ludwig design".
The seamless shells also have a different amount of lip after the edge. A "Ludwig" shell has a longer amount of lip after the edge bend.
The edge and lip are MUCH shorter on the WM/Supralite/Black Magic/Artist shell.
These snares also use the same hardware & throw off/butt as a WorldMax, BOB, etc...

WorldMax and other "brand" snares sound great. Absolutely not a thing wrong with them.
A seamless shell DOES have a different sound, but, if you prefer some, or a decent bit of muffling ( a moongel or two) on a snare, throw everything gained from a seamless shell out the window IMO/E.
If someone likes a little more "controlled" snare, but basically open, a seamed shell is a little smoother in the shell "ring" without adding anything.

Ludwig has used an outside shell maker for all it's metal snares for eons. The source is different than the one in the early years, but it's the same process.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Ok, I'm a bit lost I thought all the Ludwig black magic drums were like the black beauty, 1.2 mm made by Ludwig because seamless, so?
I'm afraid not, it's kind of a worst kept secret. Anything else you're reading is marketing and Ludwig laughing all the way to the bank and they're charging nearly double in the UK compared to what I paid for the Worldmax.

Al Strange

Update: I’ve tried to order this drum twice now only to be told it’s not available until Jan/Feb 2021! I’m going to resume my efforts to buy one in the new year...:confused:

Al Strange

Way, way, way, way, way too big for my purposes but a lovely shell regardless. Do you tune your snare high or low? Just curious.
Tend to be in the medium/high range (all my other snares are either 5 or 6.5)...from what I’ve seen, this thing barks and will be perfect for rock...which is my thing. I’m hoping it’ll cover off everything my other drums can’t... 🤔 (y) 🙂

C.M. Jones

Tend to be in the medium/high range (all my other snares are either 5 or 6.5)...from what I’ve seen, this thing barks and will be perfect for rock...which is my thing. I’m hoping it’ll cover off everything my other drums can’t... 🤔 (y) 🙂
It should handle tight tunings extremely well. Going loose with a shell that deep, especially a metal one, can produce some unruly overtones, but moderate muffling (tape or a Mylar ring) will keep them in check just fine. In any case, I don't play metal snares, but you've got a great-looking drum. Enjoy!

mikyok

Platinum Member
The 14x8s I've played have great tone tuned up but you get that power that cuts through anything. It's like the snare equivalent of a Spinal Tap amp.

You can get your inner Tool on anyways.

I just hope we get somewhere to try our new snares at a gig.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
It should handle tight tunings extremely well. Going loose with a shell that deep, especially a metal one, can produce some unruly overtones, but moderate muffling (tape or a Mylar ring) will keep them in check just fine. In any case, I don't play metal snares, but you've got a great-looking drum. Enjoy!
Those wild overtones sound great in a lot of hard rock, though. And you can’t hear them in the mix anyway.

C.M. Jones

Those wild overtones sound great in a lot of hard rock, though. And you can’t hear them in the mix anyway.
Quite so. I was thinking more in terms of my own conventions for low snare tunings. When I go low, I like to maintain as much compactness and focus as possible. That's much easier to do with a 5" or a 5.5" depth than with an 8". My norm for lower snare tunings is to keep my resonant head cranked and drop the batter considerably. That maintains crack and rebound while supplying an overall lower presence. If my batter is super low, I place a Remo tone-control ring on top to center the voice and tame overtones. The result is a very low but dry snare. And I play only wood snares, as I find them warmer as a rule. It all depends on the effect you're after. But yes, for Al's genre, the roaring ring of a deep brass shell can be an absolute winner.

Last edited: