Without Ringo On Ed Sullivan 60 Years Ago Today, How Would Your Drumming Life Be Different?

"O there's more"
(today is President's Day national holiday in the US )

"Rolf Harris had a genius idea back in '64: Why not nominate RINGO for President? Ringo Starr had a regular "gig" with the Beatles at the time, but also enjoyed overwhelming popularity, especially among teenagers of the female gender. There might have been a considerable number of voters who would not only consider voting for Ringo Starr, but they would have campaigned for him!"

one more time.

cause it's so darn good.

Last edited:
If you’re looking at this from a historical point of view and you weren’t around at the time, you have no clue about what a phenomenon it was and how important Ringo was. There wasn’t a single drummer who played like that before Ringo. All of a sudden, new bands were playing like Ringo. And Ringo was by far the most popular of the Beatles in America. Yes, they would have found another drummer if not for Ringo, but they didn’t, and the history is written.

I had a brief period of feeling how you did when prog was big. But while Ringo was not a Bill Bruford, I will always believe that Ringo invented rock and roll drumming as we know it. That’s because it’s a fact.
A fact that I am NOT disputing, I am just saying that Ringo didn't have any influence on MY drumming.

Jimmy's greasing the pan a little bit. Ring was influenced by what came before him whether it was DJ Fontana, even Ginger Baker a bit with the tom toms to the In a Gadda Da Vida trait of The End or what ever that solo was called

his hugeness of likable personality was a premium and separate from Ring the drummer if you want to split it
add that dash of uniqueness left hand'ish led filling in

so you can learn something @doggyd69b from his drumming with in mind he was influenced from what came before him and what was happening at the 68-69 67-70 ya know the fifties into sixties into very earliest 70s time

no mystery and I don't believe he was oblivious towards other drummers he just didn't bother wasn't interested apparently in copying too far outside his zone -never an intention to put drummistic things that didn't belong just for the sake of... drummist's
;wasn't a show off except ... that charming personality! 🤣

Last edited:
Looking back it was just the other day when I remembered my true first influence to play drums. I might have forgotten if not for youtube suggested videos. It wasn't Ringo, For many years I would answer the question of early influences with Ringo and the rooftop concert. Or, the rolling stones, I know it is only rock n roll, satisfaction, then peter criss, tommy aldridge, but the one true source of my influence was Karen Carpenter. Ringo just influenced me to play hard loud and heavy.

Last edited:
If you’re looking at this from a historical point of view and you weren’t around at the time, you have no clue about what a phenomenon it was and how important Ringo was. There wasn’t a single drummer who played like that before Ringo. All of a sudden, new bands were playing like Ringo. And Ringo was by far the most popular of the Beatles in America. Yes, they would have found another drummer if not for Ringo, but they didn’t, and the history is written.

I had a brief period of feeling how you did when prog was big. But while Ringo was not a Bill Bruford, I will always believe that Ringo invented rock and roll drumming as we know it. That’s because it’s a fact.
Ringo was most popular Beatle in America? I think the zillions of teen girls with pics of Paul and George and John on their walls would differ lol.

Evidently he was viewed the best most viable as Presidential candidate,..

Pop Chart Peaks: Cash Box 107, Record World 127, Billboard 13245 single issued on Decca 31660 - Ringo For President (Bob Hilliard-Mort Garson) by The Young World Singers

Full details:

View attachment 143803

what other drummer got such a reaction..

😁
It was the Defeat Ringo Neglect movement. he had to be neglected first lol.

I felt bad for George but heck he did get Layla.... :D
Layla Patti
then let her go to Eric..
I'll tell you what I'd like to see all their first wives imo they were the sharpest esp Johns and maybe Ringo's and... sharp sharp..

Exactly.
A quarterback is arguably the most important player in football, but they need a great wall of protective players around them so they can do their job, and they need amazing wide receivers or they'll never connect a pass with anyone.

I would go back one and say that the center is the most important player in football if we are assigning that designation....he starts the plays

double down (er..

5. Ringo was one of the all-time great smilers.
game over (?)

"O there's more"
(today is President's Day national holiday in the US )

"Rolf Harris had a genius idea back in '64: Why not nominate RINGO for President? Ringo Starr had a regular "gig" with the Beatles at the time, but also enjoyed overwhelming popularity, especially among teenagers of the female gender. There might have been a considerable number of voters who would not only consider voting for Ringo Starr, but they would have campaigned for him!"

one more time.

cause it's so darn good.
@jda Here in the UK ”We don’t talk about Rolf, no, no, no…” 😖

" we're putting that one in the setlist"
now this was propulsion

Last edited:

there's a succinctly worded fact in there
the last 2 sentences of "2"

Last edited:
Now - after those novelty songs I need a palette Rinse and I chose....

Last edited:
Back