Why oh why

Why? Because they sound good. Maybe its a concession to rockers who play 22" drums with greater internal volume

@wildbill did a good job of cutting one down

I recently sold my ysc to a friend in need but always had it in mind to cut down from the centre to make a nesting kit

Well - there's lots of things to consider before getting the saws out. :ROFLMAO:

The way I did it wouldn't result in taking up any less stage space. I cut from the batter side only.
The result is that your toms hang out over the bass drum a little further, and it's a little longer reach to the bass drum pedal.
I did it mainly because it's a tad easier to move stuff around, and it takes up less space when stored.

The alternative, which would result in a smaller footprint is a bit more complicated. It would be to cut from the reso side.
That would have required moving the spurs back a distance equal to the cut in addition to the other steps.
I think I considered doing that, but when I measured it out, the lugs would have been at the distance of the tom mount.
It's fine and comfortable playing it the way it is though.

I doubt that too many people want to buy a new set and start altering it that drastically right away,
so I'd say if basset52 is set on those sizes, he'd be better off to consider one of the other suggested sets.
Yamaha does seem to have some odd sized bass drum depths though.

Last edited:
Well - there's lots of things to consider before getting the saws out. o_O

The way I did it wouldn't result in taking up any less stage space. I cut from the batter side only.
The result is that your toms hang out over the bass drum a little further, and it's a little longer reach to the bass drum pedal.
I did it mainly because it's a tad easier to move stuff around, and it takes up less space when stored.

The alternative, which would result in a smaller footprint is a bit more complicated. It would be to cut from the reso side.
That would have required moving the spurs back a distance equal to the cut in addition to the other steps.
I think I considered doing that, but when I measured it out, the lugs would have been at the distance of the tom mount.
It's fine and comfortable playing it the way it is though.

I doubt that too many people want to buy a new set and start altering it that drastically right away,
so I'd say if basset52 is set on those sizes, he'd be better off consider one of the other suggested sets.
Yamaha does seem to have some odd sized bass drum depths though.
:ROFLMAO:
Maybe I'm a bit eager to chop stuff up

I figured taking it from the middle means you retain bearing edges and lug drilling. I did wonder why you attacked from the front, the movement of the drum spurs makes sense

Anywhere, I digress...

I'm in a position where I probably need to buy a smaller kit for the venues we mostly play ie 20" kick , 12" rack 14' floor. The local drumshop has some Yamaha stage Customs at really good prices , but the bass drums are 20 x 17! I have 2 kits with 22 x 16 bass drums . Why oh why does does Yamaha not do a 20 x 14 bass drum!
I thought the same about the depth, but I got over it and pulled the trigger. The YSC 20x17 sounds great, and is much easier to take to gigs than the 22x18 of my last gigging kit.

I have a Ludwig Classic Maple in downbeat sizes for smaller venues. It sounds incredible.

I'm in a position where I probably need to buy a smaller kit for the venues we mostly play ie 20" kick , 12" rack 14' floor. The local drumshop has some Yamaha stage Customs at really good prices , but the bass drums are 20 x 17! I have 2 kits with 22 x 16 bass drums . Why oh why does does Yamaha not do a 20 x 14 bass drum!
i love my yamaha stage custom. 10/12/14/20. i think the bass drum is an ok depth. wouldnt want it any deeper.

I am currently selling it with bags too!

Surely the folks at Yamaha have good reason behind the 17" depth? As with all companies offerings - I figure they (should) know what they're doing :unsure:

22x16 12x8 14x12 16x14 would be my ideal sizes (but I don't really know why?) And nobody offers that as an off the shelf config so perhaps those sizes would sound horrible 🤷‍♂️

In my experience 18 × 22's hate going anywhere, through doors,staircases,in vehicles etc ,add the xtra length of the hoops and case and I bang into everything in sight.
I find a 14 depth kick w a 14 ft reduces the foot print on tight stages significantly,neither my snare mounted Tom or cymbal stands protrude past the the bass drum. Never tried it but maybe a 22x20 would help even more.

For anyone interested. Shortly after posting this a Yamaha Stage Custom 18 x 15 bass drum appeared on my local Gumtree ( your Craiglist) . I ended up buying it yesterday. Probably would have preferred a 20" , but what the heck, it will work for me. The bonus is it is that honey coloured finish. This is close to my Gretsch USA Custom finish in Millenium Maple, so for the time being I can use my USA's 12 x 8 and 16 x16 floor tom with it and it won't look too bad. Now get ready for my posts about what heads to put on it!

For anyone interested. Shortly after posting this a Yamaha Stage Custom 18 x 15 bass drum appeared on my local Gumtree ( your Craiglist) . I ended up buying it yesterday. Probably would have preferred a 20" , but what the heck, it will work for me. The bonus is it is that honey coloured finish. This is close to my Gretsch USA Custom finish in Millenium Maple, so for the time being I can use my USA's 12 x 8 and 16 x16 floor tom with it and it won't look too bad. Now get ready for my posts about what heads to put on it!
Well there’s a left turn in Albuquerque for ya! Hope it works well for you.

Great purchase.

Add a dixson (or other) riser and you have the feel of a 20” too.

I thought the same about the depth, but I got over it and pulled the trigger. The YSC 20x17 sounds great, and is much easier to take to gigs than the 22x18 of my last gigging kit.
Yeh I agree definitely a 22x17 is rhe way to go i with make space for it so far no probs no 14 or16 for me I've had both sizes the 17 just kicks ass.

Back