why do people think drummers are flaky?

I am a guitarist/bassist.....and I only wish I were coordinated enough to play drums. It would help my guitar/bass playing tremendously. The best gutar players I know are also drummers, or at least can function on drums to some extent. I can't sing and play at the same time if it is anything remotely complicated or complex on the guitar. But I know drummers who can, effortlessly, play drums and sing without missing a beat. Having said all that, I would say drummers are flakey (if I buy the premise of this thread) because they can be.

I think musicians in general are pretty flaky. But you could also apply this to any classification of people (which is bad in an ethical way).

But I think when the 'business sense' of how to conduct yourself was handed out in society, musicians often get this bit of information too late, or last (if there were a line of people lined up for it).

I never understood how some of my musician friends never applied what they did for their jobs or society to their music handlings. I mean, if you have a job and it starts at 9AM, why is it any different if you get a gig that starts at 9PM that its ok to be a little late? Drummers can't complain about carrying so much stuff, either. We as drummers have decided to use what we use so it's basically our problem getting it to the gig and being ready on time. Just that act alone would lift you to the 'not flaky' status. Everything else we can work on in later lessons ;)

I don't listen to those secondary instrumentalist's..lol
I do like the Bass player breed. lol

I never understood how some of my musician friends never applied what they did for their jobs or society to their music handlings. I mean, if you have a job and it starts at 9AM, why is it any different if you get a gig that starts at 9PM that its ok to be a little late? Drummers can't complain about carrying so much stuff, either. We as drummers have decided to use what we use so it's basically our problem getting it to the gig and being ready on time. Just that act alone would lift you to the 'not flaky' status. Everything else we can work on in later lessons ;)

yeah - our new keyboardist is always late to practice

he did show up at the last gig on time, though

yeah - our new keyboardist is always late to practice

he did show up at the last gig on time, though

Weird, eh? I mean, people get fired for being consistently late getting to their jobs. I've known band leaders fire people for showing up late.

In fact, my old jazz band director in college was of the age when he knew people like Maynard Ferguson when they were coming up (he himself played for Stan Kenton at one time as a trombonist), and he told me a story of when Maynard showed up late to a studio session for a soundtrack (definitely before Maynard became a star of sorts), and they never called Maynard after that for at least a year. In fact, this may have been why Maynard rose to trumpet stardom since he couldn't get 'regular work', he had to start his own big band and gig. It worked out for him, but he's one of those exceptions.

When drum stuff costs so much, dandruff shampoo gets moved to the bottom of the "must have" list.

Back