Why did you get fired?

if you find that your ever being disrespected because you are a drummer, than tell the person in question to f*** off and leave with your dignity!
nobody (well me) can play well when their being brought down!..just convince yourself that your better than the band in question......and tell your self that you WILL get another job
HA HA !!! I once had a guitar player tell me that he was progressing so well as a guitarist that he was really "coming into his own". He then proceeded to tell me to play more like another drummer that had a great rep for the style we were playing.

I said: "Let me get this straight, YOU are playing so much like yourself and not copying anyone that you're coming into your own, but you want ME to emulate someone else's style of playing??" He was SERIOUS too, wasn't kidding!!

I actually had to LAUGH at that one, after the ANGER wore off.

HA HA !!! I once had a guitar player tell me that he was progressing so well as a guitarist that he was really "coming into his own". He then proceeded to tell me to play more like another drummer that had a great rep for the style we were playing.

I said: "Let me get this straight, YOU are playing so much like yourself and not copying anyone that you're coming into your own, but you want ME to emulate someone else's style of playing??" He was SERIOUS too, wasn't kidding!!

I actually had to LAUGH at that one, after the ANGER wore off.

drummers alsways being told what to do!.....it's a pitty that only a small group of drummers can actually dictate what they do, and their the likes of steve gadd and dave weckl!

ha ha!
are you being serious?
Totally serious. I did my share of partying in the past and even on tour would have maybe a day a week or so I would let go, you know when we had off the next day. But the singer felt uncomfortable about his habits though I never said anything. One time, we were on tour and it was time to go back to the promoters house where we were staying. They were all ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo up and decided to stay out all night blowing their money at some strip club that was next to the club we played at. They ran out of money 1 hour after we left and froze all night trying to sleep in the van. The singer was mad that I wasn't there "bonding" with them during that experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never been fired. However, I was once asked to audition for a touring band, then asked not to. The phone calls went like this:

(1st call)
"Hey man, my name is (name) and I'm the guitarist for (a pretty big local touring band that I recognize). Please keep this on the down low, but our drummer is leaving us at the end of next month. We heard you play with Pulse, and really love your stuff, and want to ask you to audition for the band. I'll be frank, you are our top choice." We ended up setting up an audition, etc.

(2nd call)
"Hey man, I'm sorry, but we're going to have to cancel the audition." "Oh? Why?" "Well, dude, our managers saw your picture, and decided that you are too fat. Our drummer is the only hot one in the band, and girls come to see him play shirtless. We all want you to come out, but our managers have already said that no matter what, they won't hire you."

I have never been fired. However, I was once asked to audition for a touring band, then asked not to. The phone calls went like this:

(1st call)
"Hey man, my name is (name) and I'm the guitarist for (a pretty big local touring band that I recognize). Please keep this on the down low, but our drummer is leaving us at the end of next month. We heard you play with Pulse, and really love your stuff, and want to ask you to audition for the band. I'll be frank, you are our top choice." We ended up setting up an audition, etc.

(2nd call)
"Hey man, I'm sorry, but we're going to have to cancel the audition." "Oh? Why?" "Well, dude, our managers saw your picture, and decided that you are too fat. Our drummer is the only hot one in the band, and girls come to see him play shirtless. We all want you to come out, but our managers have already said that no matter what, they won't hire you."

At least he was blunt about it!

I've never been fired. But then again I've only been in one band that just disbanded cause the guitarist moved too far away.

(1st call)

(2nd call)

HA HA !! I ALMOST didn't get a gig because of that VERY reason!!!! Yeah, I'm not a hottie, oh well. But the guitarist in a hard rock, rock cover band that I auditioned for didn't want to hire me 'cause I wasn't pretty like him. trouble is, I was hands and feet above the pretty guy who auditioned. He even owned a HUGE PA system as part of his selling point and I still got the gig. Fortunately the rest of the band wanted someone who could play.

Fortunately I've always got the gig at an audition. On 3 auditions I declined wanting to join, but I had seen the other drummers and I suggested they take one of them. I was quite diplomatic about it, I just said I was looking for something a bit more Metal, or Blues, or whatever they WEREN'T so as to have a good excuse without being a caulk. I remember hanging out checking this one dude's audition just after mine 'cause he had this gorgeous double kick set of 1980's Rogers I wanted to see all set up. Like a off white pearl color, lots of toms and cymbals. He dressed like a junior accountant with the black horned rimmed glasses and everything, but he could play man. I suggested to the band that they hire HIM as he played great, already knew a lot of the tunes they did and had a good sounding, good looking set of drums. The guy reminded me of an early Bun E Carlos type!!

(1st call)

(2nd call)

I feel bad for laughing so much at this. Sorry for any offence lol.

I've got kicked out many times of certain 'forming bands' who weren't really gigging yet for the simple fact that I refused to use a double pedal at the time.

I just wouldn't play one and when they found out they looked for someone else. Even when the music never truly required one.

"Dude you don't use double pedals? What kind of drummer are you?"

"A F**KING GOOD ONE DAMN YOU!" - was what I wanted to say but didn't

le sigh..

Back in 1976-77 or so, I was in a band that had an identity crisis: we played rock, blues, jazz, reggae, and latin stuff, all over the map. Two longhair hippies (guitarist and myself), two shorthair hawaiian-shirt-wearing percussionists, one straight-laced baby-faced bassist, a skinny tall black singer in leather and kneehigh boots, and a chick lead singer that always wore a kimono.

It was a lot of fun but the guitarist was a real controlling type who kept us in the garage practising until we got it perfect. We hardly ever played any real gigs. So me and the bass player would try to have a little fun at practices by improvising little bits to amuse each other. Which drove the guitarist crazy, because we weren't playing the exact same parts every frickin' time. So I got the call one day at work: I was canned for being a bad influence on the bass player!

Maybe it's because I grew up in the '60s and '70s, but I've always had a problem with "authority".

A few years later I had cut my hair and mustache and was playing in a "new wave" band. Got a call from the guitarist who was putting together a new wave band himself. So I auditioned and then, when he asked me to join, I told him I would... but only if he'd cut his hair and mustache first: "You can't play new wave if you look like a hippie," I told him. He wouldn't, so I didn't join.

Petty and vindictive of me? Maybe. But it felt good.
Best Reason here so Far hahaha i actually LOLd

I feel bad for laughing so much at this. Sorry for any offence lol.

I've got kicked out many times of certain 'forming bands' who weren't really gigging yet for the simple fact that I refused to use a double pedal at the time.

I just wouldn't play one and when they found out they looked for someone else. Even when the music never truly required one.

"Dude you don't use double pedals? What kind of drummer are you?"

"A F**KING GOOD ONE DAMN YOU!" - was what I wanted to say but didn't

le sigh..

No worries. With the success I have, I can laugh about it, too. It was still a harsh thing to hear that night. I felt better after making love to my hot wife and then looking at my gig schedule for the next few weeks after the audition and seeing like 12 gigs over 2 weeks.

No worries. With the success I have, I can laugh about it, too. It was still a harsh thing to hear that night. I felt better after making love to my hot wife and then looking at my gig schedule for the next few weeks after the audition and seeing like 12 gigs over 2 weeks.

Take that love makin' when you can get it, brother. With 12 gigs over the next 14 days, sounds like you won't be seeing her much. :)

I've never been fired but recently did not receive a call back because I apparently, played in time and for the song and did not over play???????

Seriously.

never been fired, but havent been in too many bands.

i did lead the charge to fire our singer though, stupid kid i was, couldnt see that it was him that gave us our character (and packed the rooms). replaced him with a total dud that happened to have a sweet voice. our original guy puked on stage and kicked kids in the head, ranted about the local police (600 kids chanting 'XXXX the police!') and wrote anti war songs about iraq (1992). this new guy just played with his hair.

whole thing fizzled out within six months; great following, endless gigs, label interest. poof - gone

stupid kid i was

never been fired, but havent been in too many bands.
. our original guy puked

whole thing fizzled out within six months; great following, endless gigs, label interest. poof - gone

stupid kid i was
Sorry to hear. Out of curiosity, did you ever tell him this? Being on the other end of it, he will definitely appreciate it if you do no matter how long it took. Second, what were your reasons by chance? Personal? Professional? Technical? Sometimes those things may have caused an inevitable implosion anyway. Just saying it so you don't beat yourself up too much. We've all had mistakes in bands in one way or another. My friend who is a music writer always says by the time a band is any good & gets any momentum they are usually ready to implode if they haven't already.

I got fired once from a band for asking the question, "When is the guitar player going to learn his parts." Of course, he was a friend of the bass player who was the brother of the other guitar player player. That's when you learn not to get into bands when there are friends and girlfriends and other loyalites involved.

I've been fired twice and laid off once. The first time was actually a band in which I was one of the founding members. The singer and I weren't getting along, so the manager called me and said he felt that I was causing a lot of problems in the band, i asked him to call the other band members , if they felt I was one of the main problems I would leave. basically he called them and said, "Paolo's leaving the band, so we need to use Phil (the percussionist) for the next tour". They all showed up at my house (where we rehearsed) and gave me a letter. Assholes, i made them buy me out , we had some equipment and a bus, they did, i moved to Houston in January ( that was in October) to join a new band that was doing really well and had just got second place in the Yamaha music contest in LA (remember those) , they played their last gig on Jan. 1st. Karma.

Second time I got fired was with a band here in Houston called Mrs. Molly and the whips. When I joined they told me I was going to be paid 500 a week, the best week ever I made 350, normally we made 200-250. Anyways after about six weeks, spending the night in jail in Birmingham with the lead singer (long story) we played the freedom fest here in Houston in front of a huge audience. We were hanging out backstage and I went through the food line to get some food. The people at the food line told me I needed to get a ticket from the manager. I went to the trailer and Dicky Malone (what a name huh?) was sitting there stuffing his fat face with some of his buddies. I asked him for a food ticket and he told me that he had given them to his friends. I told him that I should get one as they were meant for the band he told me "thats not part of the deal" I cussed his fat ass out and got fired. Definitely worth it!

Recently I just got laid off from a house gig we had for 3.5 years at al atin club here in Houston. Basically attendance just kept getting lower and lower. The week before we got fired I took my drums home and set up the house kit, I just had a feeling that it was over. We showed up on Saturday and a DJ was set up. Fortunatley they paid us for that night. they told us they would call us back in two weeks but I had a feeling they wouldn't. This was in December, first week of winter break (I'm a high school assistant principal)

So here I sit , gigless. good thing I went and got a day job 14 years ago! LOL

PC

I was playing with some older English guys when I was living in Brussels. I was young and deep into complex technical stuff, 5 over 4 and Gary Chaffee etc. This band was playing blues and pop, and I just wasn't ready to listen up and play what was needed. So one night, the band played and there was a jam session after. This other drummer came up and jammed with "my" guys, and I could just tell they really liked him. I got so jealous you would think my girlfriend had left me. But as all of you know, it is much worse being left by a band than by a girl (or boy...).

So the lead singer came down to the table where I was sitting and told me they were going with this other guy. That took me a while to get over, and I was so angry and hurt. Looking back, I am clear that I just wasn't listening to anything but myself in those days. I was so into my own playing, for most of the time, I might as well have been by myself. Of course, there were exceptions to this, but these days, I take a much different approach to music altogether, and if the band doesn't swing.....well, I must have something to do with it.

I was in this band from late 2004 until late 2006, which ended with the other two members just playing in their other band and not being in contact with me any more. That was strange.

I've seen the guitarist since, and we talk as if nothing ever happened.
The bassist and singer is a coward.

Their new band is this one. There, I've done them a favour now. Aren't I nice.

Well, it happened to me yesterday!!! LET GO! I was playing for a church praise band since September of '08. Roughtly 7 months. No pay. Strickly volunteer. I wanted to give something back. I had been practicing for about 2 years by myself after a 20 year layoff. I even auditioned and was accepted as the drummer. I played my old accustic kit with new heads, hardware, and cymbals.

Four months into this gig, the talented, kind-heartted, expert music minister, teacher, and leader everyone loved leaves to go to another church. What happens next was totally unexpected. The church elders bring in this flashy, cocky, egotistical guitar player as leader. I say leader because there is no "minister" aspect to this guy. Think David Lee Roth and you get the universe-sized ego and all the garbage that goes with it.

Supposedly this new guy "has recorded in Nashville", so everyone is impressed...except me. I keep quiet since being recorded is no big deal to me. I was recorded all the way through school and in college. No big deal.

This new guy has been with us since January when he "took over the band", so to speak. I hear from our rhythm guitar player immediately about problems with this new dude's choice of chords. In other words, they are odd and extemely difficult. Not the sort to be used in normal praise music. I offer up my sympathies to our nice rhythm guitar player.

I start hearing through the grapevine that 1) I'm playing too loud, 2) not playing loud enough, 3) am playing "just fine", 4) I am doing a great job, and 5) I'm nailing every part perfectly.

Who to believe, since I am told by our new "leader" that I'm doing just fine and "it sounds great, dude. Peace brother"!

Yesterday I get told by our nice rhythm guitar player that I am being replaced by this new "leader's" friend, his drummer from another band. And this decision happened within the last 48 hours.

That is after the church spent some money on an electronic kit, whicn I was told I am playing well on and nailing the parts, AFTER only 1 performance on. Hell, I didn't even get to rehearse on it.

Am I mad I was let go?? I SURE AS HELL AM!!!!!

The head pastor and music minister didn't even have the balls to tell me themselves!!! What a bunch of chicken shits!!??!

Well....thanks for letting me unload.

About 15 years ago i was in a rock band and dared to show the lead guitar player how to count his intro in time so the whole band knew where he was. I guess that offended him.
Next thing i know i was told the band is going to take a break for a while. I find out about two weeks later they had re-formed with a new drummer. I'm still playing...they're not. LOL

Back