Which shallow metal snare would you buy?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Hi guys, I’ve got this Yamaha maple custom 14x4 and I am pretty wild about the snare response it has. I have been thinking maybe it’s time I got a metal shell in that size, or maybe 4.5 depth.

From my searching online these are my options

Tama slp dynamic bronze 14x4.5
Ludwig Carl Palmer brass 14x3.7
Gergo Borlai brass 14x4

The Ludwig is 10 lug, the other two are 8 lug. I am not really a big fan of the tamas aesthetics but it is the cheapest available right now. I don’t like the way die cast hoops eat my sticks but these all have them. I am worried the Ludwig may be too skinny.

What would you choose? And do you know of any other alternatives?

1915AD29-31FE-43B6-9F66-7A5D2BA8DFF1.png
20208D17-C188-413B-A5E9-0050AA7446A9.jpeg
E4281D6D-3B4C-472D-B6B3-94F17EFEA949.jpeg

Hi guys, I’ve got this Yamaha maple custom 14x4 and I am pretty wild about the snare response it has. I have been thinking maybe it’s time I got a metal shell in that size, or maybe 4.5 depth.

Gergo Borlai brass 14x4

The Ludwig is 10 lug, the other two are 8 lug. I am not really a big fan of the tamas aesthetics but it is the cheapest available right now. I don’t like the way die cast hoops eat my sticks but these all have them. I am worried the Ludwig may be too skinny.

These are not the exact depth range that you are looking for. I think anything at or below 4 inch depth falls into Piccolo snare territory. I do not own any of these but here are some suggestions for 14 inch Piccolo metal drums. There are sound samples on YouTube:

1) YAMAHA SD493 Piccolo Brass Snare Drum
2) Pearl Stainless Steel Free Floating Snare Drum 3.5x14
3) Pearl 14" x 3 5" Copper Free Floater
4) Pearl Free Floating Brass
5) DW Collector's Series Pi Snare Drums
6) Tama SLP Limited Edition Black Brass Piccolo Snare Drum
7) 14" x 3-1/4" Tama Piccolo Stainless Steel 10 lugs Snare drum PS2325 model
8) Yamaha David Garibaldi Signature Piccolo Snare

Gergo Borlai brass 14x4

View attachment 131955
View attachment 131956
View attachment 131957
The Yamaha Signature Garibaldi snare, if they still made it.

A custom builder like Summit would be able to make a single ply wood snare in your chosen size and wood preference.

I own an inexpensive brass ludwig and I really like it. I've heard a lot of good things about the bronze series also though.

Anything Joyful Noise makes will blow you away in a 4" X 14" size:

Luminary
TKO
Studio Brass
Beacon Bronze
Studio Bronze
Copper models

The Carl Palmer sounds great. But after hearing the AVA snaredrums posted on the forum I'm so spoiled that anything else is second best. Those snaredrums have me hooked in a bad way.

I like the 3x13 Pearl Steel (or brass would be fine too) piccolo, and am also interested in the 5.5x14 Dixon Cornerstone Purple Titanium also. Neither fit your size criteria unfortunately.

20230322_181742.jpg
20230322_182454.jpg

Here is a fun metal Piccolo snare drum blind comparison test from Mr. Herb Warren. If anyone plans to buy one of these three high end Piccolo snare drums but is undecided, then this video may help.

Sounds like the Yamaha SD4440 Nouveau Brass would be right up your street, if you can get hold of one. It's a really great snare (better than the Carl Palmer in my opinion). Tama also did a brass snare in the 90s in this size, which was great value and sounded amazing. Also don't forget Pearl's free floaters, they've done 14x4(ish) brass snares...

I have an N&C 4.75" depth and I cannot fathom that drum not doing anything I would want from a shallow metal snare.......just shy of absolutely cranked peak piccolo ........but I also cannot think of a musical setting where I would want that right now........leave that for someone else.

My vote is for an N&C.......

Here is a fun metal Piccolo snare drum blind comparison test from Mr. Herb Warren. If anyone plans to buy one of these three high end Piccolo snare drums but is undecided, then this video may help.

That was fun. I liked 2 and 3 best and didn’t care for 1. Any of them would work fine, though. Won’t spoil the surprise reveal.

Hard to find but I love the SLP black brass 14x4

sgdoh2v9kgxx8govpwl4.jpg

Of the ones you initially listed, @Duck Tape , I'd pick the Gretsch. The other two may also sound good, but I've heard that Gretsch and it is amazing. This is from someone who is not really a fan of brass!

The Noble and Cooley Alloy Classic is just barely out of your size range at 4.75" deep. But it's a great drum and incredibly versatile.

You could also get Oriollo to make you whatever you'd like, and those drums are pretty amazing.
could you imagine a 4.5 Bellmaker with cast bronze hoops or a Cadenza of the same size with brass cast hoops.

Back