Which Paiste cymbals are the best?

Xavia_V3

Hey

Been playing for eight years on ZYN 5 star cymbals - sound alright for what they are and cost, but Im looking to step them up (along with my kit) and am looking at Paiste

Really Im looking at the 2002's, Giant Beats, Alphas or Signature series -
(Alpha is least favourite - but are the others worth the extra £££?)

I want something that sounds dark, but defined, cutting, powerful and focused - really cymbals that have 'the rock sound' (heard thats 2002 territory?)

Really I would like to hear if anyone else has experience with any of them and what you think of them,

I play Rock and some Metal styles

While the Alphas are pretty good, I'd say the others are worth the extra money. 2002s and Giant Beats are both about the same cost. 2002s are more widely available, and they exemplify the classic rock sound. Plus, they have many more sizes and types than Giant Beats. My favorites are Signatures, but they're also considerably more expensive. They have lots of types, and the crashes especially have a great clean sound that I love. I don't know if I'd call 2002s dark, but they do have a great sound and will definitely cover you for all rock at a good value. Plus, unlike with the Alphas, you won't grow out of the 2002s.

shoedaddy - Have you had any experience with the reflectors of the signature series? Because if I was splashing that much cash it would be those I would look at - and thanks for your other post, I do like Giant beat - but the lack of variety kinda annoys me

I play all signature splashes, crashes and ride... 10, 12, 2x16, 2x17 (full & power) 18, 19, 20, and 21" ride, but prefer the 2002 chinas (16 & 18).

Although I wouldn't classify Sigs as dark, they're definitely less bright than 2002's and much fuller IMO. We play everything from classic to current rock & metal and I feel they fit perfectly.

Although I think the 2002 chinas mix well, I don't think the 2002 crashes blend well with the Signature crashes. For what it's worth, I would certainly advise playing them together before mixing 2002's/Sigs.

As far as choosing between the two, it's a matter of preference, and you really can't miss with either choice. Yes, they're a little more for the money, but properly cared for should last a lifetime (as can be said with all higher-end cymbals).

Cheers!

Even though some of the cheaper lines are just as good and produce beautiful sounds, go with whatever costs the most or whatever the pros play or whatever the company says is their top line - those are the best . . . because more money = the best and afterall, who wouldn't feel a little embarassed rocking on a PST5?
Actually, I play a mix of Alphas and PST5s (which sound really really good) but since those aren't the most expensive, they suck.

Even though some of the cheaper lines are just as good and produce beautiful sounds, go with whatever costs the most or whatever the pros play or whatever the company says is their top line - those are the best . . . because more money = the best and afterall, who wouldn't feel a little embarassed rocking on a PST5?
Actually, I play a mix of Alphas and PST5s (which sound really really good) but since those aren't the most expensive, they suck. It blows my mind how more dollars maketh the ear.

You make a good point.

The Alpha series, in particular, are excellent - much like the 5o5 Series was a few years ago. Paiste have a habit of releasing high-quality mid-level cymbals that actually match the quality of the higher-end lines. If I were to do a blindfold test, I'd probably struggle between some of the lines. If you go into a shop and prefer the Alphas over the 2oo2's, feel no shame in that and buy them - a few people here have done just that.

Validation is nice. Thanks. It's not about dollar amount, it's about sound. Go with what sounds good to your ear and what you believe will sound good with the music you make. Go and listen to the cymbals.

I want something that sounds dark, but defined, cutting, powerful and focused - really cymbals that have 'the rock sound'

I play Rock and some Metal styles

Alot of the RUDE series fits those characteristics. Cutting and and defined, but with dark undertones. But out of your list I would go with 2002

shoedaddy - Have you had any experience with the reflectors of the signature series? Because if I was splashing that much cash it would be those I would look at - and thanks for your other post, I do like Giant beat - but the lack of variety kinda annoys me

I've played the Reflectors, and they sound great, just like the rest of the Sigs. They have a super-brilliant finish that looks great, too. Personally, though, I hate to clean cymbals (in fact, I generally don't), and with the regular Sigs, I don't really have to do it as they don't show much.

Alot of the RUDE series fits those characteristics. Cutting and and defined, but with dark undertones. But out of your list I would go with 2002

Yer i was gonna say the same thing 2002 dont have that dark under body that you sound like your going for. And i think the giant beats would be great as well. I dont think they have much variety cause you can get so many sounds from what they offer.(big sizes= more dynamics between bell and bow)

A lot of drummers use the signatures for live situations. But there are a lot of types of the signature cymbals so I would look them up first so you could see what you might like.

The big beats are good for old rock n' roll but don't mistake them they are diverse.

the 2002's are just plain all around rock cymbals in my opinion.

But if it were me and I had the money, I would go pick out some signatures even though I like the 2002's.

why not check out the Paiste Soundroom? they are pretty good at capturing their sounds to give a listen to if your local drum shop doesn't have what you're looking for.

http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbalfam.php?menuid=3

Yeah - I have been on the soundroom for nothing short of days listening to them and I find it a brilliant system that works (and I hear that Paiste's recordings are the most true to ear recordings out there) so I think they help, and of course I would try them in the shop - but still wanted to know other peoples opinions.

Like for things you dont realise when theyre new but after a while does the noise get 'boring'?
Cos with the money Im going to pay I dont want that to happen :S

But yeah, The signatures do look gorgeous, the ride just seems a bit 'pingy' to me in the sound clips :S

Like for things you dont realise when theyre new but after a while does the noise get 'boring'?
Cos with the money Im going to pay I dont want that to happen :S

i dont necesarily think things get boring. However when i get any new music thing be it drums, guitar or bass, i have an initial period of time when im like "woweeee that sounds awesome". Then eventually that wears off and it just becomes a part of what i sound like. New things stand out more, i dont think that things get boring, i dont dislike, im just used to it. i think its why people buy so much gear, they could have absolute top of tthe range stuff, but that wow factor can fade away.

i dont necesarily think things get boring. However when i get any new music thing be it drums, guitar or bass, i have an initial period of time when im like "woweeee that sounds awesome". Then eventually that wears off and it just becomes a part of what i sound like. New things stand out more, i dont think that things get boring, i dont dislike, im just used to it. i think its why people buy so much gear, they could have absolute top of tthe range stuff, but that wow factor can fade away.

Yeah - but have you ever brought something and thought it was amazing - and then after like a month / year or some period of time played it and noticed something new? a new noise that doesn't quite fit? If you get me (hard to explain this event)

Ive never had the feeling on any drum related topic, but I get it listening to music, and I wouldnt want something like that to happen - I know what you mean about the 'woweeeee' factor though, that period is when drumming is at its best, lol

What buy something then realise, its not really right, not what you wanted, or something like that. Usually if that happens i sell it or modify it. ive bought some things that i dislike after a few weeks and arent worth reselling but most of that is guitar stuff i bought when i was younger, and more foolish, and ive often gutted some of em for parts.

Guitar story !!RED ALERT!!
My first big amp was a Marshall MG100hdfx half stack i bought it cos "OMG Marshall stack omg im MR. Awesome Rocker now", then i started to dislike the way it sounded, but at first i thought because of the price and the fact that its a halfstack meant that it must sound good, and that clouded my judgement. A few years later i realised i could have bought a smaller valve combo that would provide more than enough volume and sound miles better for the same money.

i think sometimes, what it is and how much it costs can cloud our judgement of how it sounds. If your drooling over it in a magazine for ages, your desire to have it can overtake your judgement of whether its right for you.

i think what you mean is looking at it with rose tinted glasses, say buying a new ride and not realising its got too much wash or too much ping, becasue youve got this wow its new feeling.

Back