Which kit? Renowns vs. Recording Customs vs. Collectors vs. Starclassics

Thanks.. looking forward to taking them apart and putting on new heads. I'll probably end up just using the 10,12,16 for most gigs. They also came with protection racket bag/cases..
Now I need to unload one of my 4 other kits now to make space.. I'm leaning to the one with the oldest creakiest hardware - my 6 piece Premier XPKs from the 90s - all birch.. but they sound so good I hate to part with them. I use them in a practice space as they are a pain to tear down for gigs.. but they sound so good! I think this is why you see ads on Kijij where some guy has a basement full of 20 drum kits and his wife is making him get rid of them :)
What is the problem with the XPK hardware? It’s pretty basic?

Check out the HTC87W combo stand. Very sturdy, very versatile.
And congrats on the new kit!
Thanks.. it did come with Tama mounts attached to cymbal stands. It looks like a Tama multi-clamp attached to a cymbal stand with a tama mount attached to the clamp:2_59.JPG3_59.JPG

Last edited:
What is the problem with the XPK hardware? It’s pretty basic?
The hardware is solid and okay.. but 30 years old and it's just harder to adjust and quickly setup and tear down. Maybe some lube would help.... but turning the wingnuts is a bit of a chore on the kick spurs and stands. The double floor tom spike holder.. just seems heavy and cumbersome to move and collapse. Compared to my Yamaha gear (also close to 30 years old) which has never needed lube and spins like a top.. slides super smooth, everything just fits like a glove and snaps into place. The Yamaha spike tom stands are heavy duty but not that heavy to move in comparison.

Back