Where to get custom shell blanks?

After pricing it all out, it looks like it would come in around $550. Shell would be from Nordic.

Yea/nay?

Nay.. Shell alone is a rip IMO.. A regular Keller is quite a bit less than that from what I recall.. and they are phenomenal shells.. but NOT from Precision as they mark them up big time IMO.

I have never heard any 18 floor where I am like.. "Oh.. that is definitely an 18 ".. They are so large that it is just a low end thud that is not so defined.. that you can come close to by tuning down a 16 IMO.. I would just get another 16 if you really need another floor. . Tune one a little higher.

Nay.. Shell alone is a rip IMO.. A regular Keller is quite a bit less than that from what I recall.. and they are phenomenal shells.. but NOT from Precision as they mark them up big time IMO.

I have never heard any 18 floor where I am like.. "Oh.. that is definitely an 18 ".. They are so large that it is just a low end thud that is not so defined.. that you can come close to by tuning down a 16 IMO.. I would just get another 16 if you really need another floor. . Tune one a little higher.
You know its funny because I actually do have two matching 16x15s (in use on two different kits currently) but I like it JAW as is so tough to go any lower. The reason I'm kind of fixated here is because I want a shell bank that is as expansive as possible, for as many situations as possible, because I don't really plan on buying any more kits ever again - probably.

You know its funny because I actually do have two matching 16x15s (in use on two different kits currently) but I like it JAW as is so tough to go any lower. The reason I'm kind of fixated here is because I want a shell bank that is as expansive as possible, for as many situations as possible, because I don't really plan on buying any more kits ever again - probably.

Throw a Pinstripe on one of them then compare.

Nordic makes some of the best shells out there and some very reputable and finicky companies have them make their shells for them. In fact, actively swapping from Keller to Nordic. That being said, if price is a real consideration then you may have your answer.........

Anderson International Trading lists a 18x18 6 ply Keller shell @ $111. So, if you need to cut costs, that would be a way (as opposed to Nordic). And you'd be getting a VSS all maple shell. But shipping might null your savings.

Throw a Pinstripe on one of them then compare.
Funny again, I blew right past a pinstripe and stuck an Evans Hydraulic on one. It gets a nice thud but ends up sounding more like a kick than a tom and the pitch is barely changed.

Nordic makes some of the best shells out there and some very reputable and finicky companies have them make their shells for them. In fact, actively swapping from Keller to Nordic. That being said, if price is a real consideration then you may have your answer.........
Thanks I hadn't been able to find out a ton about Nordic but the stuff on their website looks fantastic.

total unusual (to find.....size maybe some 70/80s Sonor$$$$'s

Anderson International Trading lists a 18x18 6 ply Keller shell @ $111. So, if you need to cut costs, that would be a way (as opposed to Nordic). And you'd be getting a VSS all maple shell. But shipping might null your savings.

Yeah they are the best IMO.. Precision charges $160 plus shipping for the same exact shell...... and these shells are Phenomenal as I have had more than one kit made out of these.

6 Ply is WAY WAY too thin in the 3mm range.. .. even the 8 ply sometimes hovers LESS than 5mm but Anderson has listed at 5.3mm.. This would be $120 which is still good.

Last edited:
Yeah they are the best IMO.. Precision charges $160 plus shipping for the same exact shell...... and these shells are Phenomenal as I have had more than one kit made out of these.

6 Ply is WAY WAY too thin in the 3mm range.. .. even the 8 ply sometimes hovers LESS than 5mm but Anderson has listed at 5.3mm.. This would be $120 which is still good.
The Nordic shell I have mocked up right now (18x17, maple, 8-ply/5.4mm) is $163, plus $24.00 for bearing edges, then tax and shipping. It would be worth the extra $ to not have to cut an inch off and then put a new bearing edge on.

The Nordic shell I have mocked up right now (18x17, maple, 8-ply/5.4mm) is $163, plus $24.00 for bearing edges, then tax and shipping. It would be worth the extra $ to not have to cut an inch off and then put a new bearing edge on.

Anderson cuts it however you want from scratch.. They don't charge for the depth.

After pricing it all out, it looks like it would come in around $550. Shell would be from Nordic.

Shell - $220
Lugs - $85
Lug Screws - $15
Leg Brackets - $80
Legs - $45
Wrap - $60
Badge - $10
Heads - $40

Yea/nay?

6 months from now, will you be happy you did it or not?

Only you can answer this.

Shell - $220
Lugs - $85
Lug Screws - $15
Leg Brackets - $80
Legs - $45
Wrap - $60
Badge - $10
Heads - $40

Yea/nay?
Nay. You didnt include hoops either.

If it was me I would buy:
Shell
Hoops
Wrap
Orphan drum for lugs, screws, brackets, legs.

This should save you money on the universal parts.

Nay. You didnt include hoops either.

If it was me I would buy:
Shell
Hoops
Wrap
Orphan drum for lugs, screws, brackets, legs.

This should save you money on the universal parts.
Yeah hoops would probably take it to $600 - these are all top end estimates though and it would probably be less, especially if I could find a way to do a hardware bundle from Thomann or something. As far as harvesting random hardware goes, I'm trying to build a drum that matches my kit as closely as possible because I'm the kind of person who would be kept awake at night by the thought of non-matching hardware. Its not that money is not an object and who doesn't like saving money but doing it as cheaply as possible isn't a priority.

Yeah hoops would probably take it to $600 - these are all top end estimates though and it would probably be less, especially if I could find a way to do a hardware bundle from Thomann or something. As far as harvesting random hardware goes, I'm trying to build a drum that matches my kit as closely as possible because I'm the kind of person who would be kept awake at night by the thought of non-matching hardware. Its not that money is not an object and who doesn't like saving money but doing it as cheaply as possible isn't a priority.
I totally get that. Here is a 14" AQ1 floor. Its $233. Badge is wrong, but best I can tell from pics the hardware is the same:

I found a 13" AQ2 floor, but it's only 6 lug. So correct badge, not enough lugs.

I totally get that. Here is a 14" AQ1 floor. Its $233. Badge is wrong, but best I can tell from pics the hardware is the same:

I found a 13" AQ2 floor, but it's only 6 lug. So correct badge, not enough lugs.
That's a pretty good idea. I can find AQ2 lugs easy but none of them seem to come with the rubber gaskets, so with the leg brackets, so cannibalizing an AQ1 may be the better route. Hardware parts are exactly the same as AQ2. Probably wouldn't save any money but would be a lot easier than ordering it all piecemeal. Thanks Dave

Back