Where do you keep your drum key?

I use the Vic Firth Essential Stick Bag and mount it on the snare (easy to reach sticks if i ever lose my left or right stick).
It has a holder for a drum key (see stock picture below) and in the small pocket with the earbuds i keep a spare key.

71-PjLvDzXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ludwig ratchet key for tuning and two Evans keys with the knurled knobs for head changes live in a small pocket in my stick bag (and after use they go directly back into the pocket). The bag lives in the car so I can never forget it. I also keep a couple of generic keys on a shelf in the office/spare BR at home, one in my car's center console (never used it), and one in the front pocket of a small ProMark bag (also never used) that hangs on my floor tom during gigs for the purpose of holding spare sticks if I drop one.

I like the PDP magnetic key. The magnet is on the top of the key, rather than on the part that goes on the tension rod. I put it on my hi hat stand so it's easy to grab. The magnet is strong but it does tend to wiggle it's way downward from the vibrations etc. I put it at the bottom of the upper tube, so it can't wiggle any lower, because the piece below it keeps it in place (where the upper and lower sections of the stand meet). Works great! For transport, it goes in my stick bag along with my "multi-tool" that has the Allen wrenches, screwdrivers etc. The multi tool is metal, so the key sticks to it so they are always "one tool" when I go to grab it. Plus I keep several on the refrigerator, so I can just grab one from there if I need to at home.

Attachments

• PDP.jpg
    PDP.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Why don't drum manufacturers put a little padded/rubber pocket or attachment on the hihat stand or snare drum to hold a key? If you put it on the lugs it rattles, in the pocket of your pants can be annoying, anywhere else it gets lost.

Anyone come up with clever ideas?
20230224_104832.jpg

I have a small cloth case with a draw string I use to store a couple of drum keys and ear plugs. It's usually hung from my floor tom.

I typically don't need it during the gig, just before. And even that is rare. I do most of my tuning at home.

I keep it in the pocket of my stick bag.

I do think one attached to the hi hat stand would be useful, thought.

I have them in my truck, in my stick bags, on my audio gear rack, on my Tama pedal, and when I play out: in my pocket. I prolly have a dozen of ‘em.

I keep mine laying on my floor tom in my practice room when I'm out gigging about 200 miles away from it.

This way, I never lose it.

I have a small cloth case with a draw string I use to store a couple of drum keys and ear plugs. It's usually hung from my floor tom.
Crown Royal bag? :LOL:

Don't knock them, those are great for small things such as headphone 1/4 or 1/8 adapters, USB cables, in ears, and of course drum keys. I don't drink Crown Royal but I use the bags from the Skull Candy headphones.

those were always dice bags for me for D&D, as well as drum bags for small things, small bags for camping, storage in the truck etc. I worked in the restaarant industry for 10 or so years, so I had crap tons of those

those were always dice bags for me for D&D, as well as drum bags for small things, small bags for camping, storage in the truck etc. I worked in the restaarant industry for 10 or so years, so I had crap tons of those
Me having to deploy, I always filled one with all my cables, chargers miscellaneous USB and other types, headphones, spare headphones, international power adapters, etc. a lot easier to put that (and laptop) in a backpack, than just throwing everything loose.

Back